Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 11:18 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,441,923 times

Advertisements

Well a friend of ours got an eviction notice. This after about 2-3 months of the landlord rep trying to get the friend to buy the house. So this guy comes in. . and this house is always clean (sans Dog allowed on lease leaves hair) and he goes nuts about things such as not dusting the molding.

What drama

So get this, the lease ends October 1st. The eviction to cure or whatever. . yesterday. I think the major issue, as i understand it, is the sometimes. . .separated . . .spouse. They have never been late to a payment, etc.

I know some landlords on here are like "evictions victim mentality". But seriously. You have someone who rented a house, always pays on time, the place is clean. . .(she is a very WEALTHY professional).

I'm kind of out of it at this point. They need a lawyer, find out options.

yet getting an eviction notice now. . .for a lease that ends in a little over a month. I'm wondering if this guy really wants to go to court. . or is just trying to bully my friend in doing what they want. . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 11:20 AM

1,434 posts, read 3,927,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
They need a lawyer
getting an eviction notice for a lease that ends in a little over a month
It's going to take longer than a month to fight an eviction through the legal process. Why not just move out at the end of the lease? Would you (or your friend) REALLY want to stay with a LL that you don't get along with?

Old 08-15-2013, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownHarrisburg View Post
It's going to take longer than a month to fight an eviction through the legal process. Why not just move out at the end of the lease? Would you (or your friend) REALLY want to stay with a LL that you don't get along with?
They will, no doubt, move out on October 1st

The eviction notice .. you know it says either leave or fix x,y, and z by this date. I think there is a problem . .or disagreement of the fix. .maybe.

So thats why it seems a lot of drama, is he really going to go for an eviction and would a judge grant it if its less than 4 weeks to lease end?

Old 08-15-2013, 11:49 AM

639 posts, read 1,967,409 times
You haven't given enough information for us to even speculate why. Eviction to cure or whatever? Yeah, I have no idea why they're being evicted either, if you don't know what the notice said. I think you mean a cure or quit notice, which means they have to fix whatever problem the LL is complaining about. Dusting the molding is bizarre, but easy enough to do. If that's what the notice said. Which we don't know. Get your friend to post about it with the actual info.

Old 08-15-2013, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee188 View Post
You haven't given enough information for us to even speculate why. Eviction to cure or whatever? Yeah, I have no idea why they're being evicted either, if you don't know what the notice said. I think you mean a cure or quit notice, which means they have to fix whatever problem the LL is complaining about. Dusting the molding is bizarre, but easy enough to do. If that's what the notice said. Which we don't know. Get your friend to post about it with the actual info.
the only "break" of the lease I actually know is that the spouse isn't on the lease and there could be a cause there. . .i.e. your significant other isn't on the lease and therefore must leave before leaving

the back lawn is in pretty sad shape. . . and they blame the dog. They may be asking for the dog to go, though. . .the dog is on the lease.

Old 08-15-2013, 12:18 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,797,992 times
^^^ When and if you find out the specifics return to the thread.

Old 08-15-2013, 02:31 PM

1,263 posts, read 3,285,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
^^^ When and if you find out the specifics return to the thread.
Exactly. There's obviously more going on here. Is it related to the spouse who's not on the lease? Is he a felon, or running a business from home, etc?

Old 08-15-2013, 02:34 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,797,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL_Whut View Post
Exactly. There's obviously more going on here.
Rather like saying, "I lost my dog in Oregon, has anyone seen him?"

Old 08-26-2013, 07:24 AM

Husband not on the lease, so when the landlord tried to come into the house without permission and husband said "please leave, you can't be in here" seems to be where it started.

Husband filmed it all (holding phone in hand) though property manager didn't know that. . (been lying about being threatened, etc).

So the 3 notice to cure was. .
1)lawn must be replaced with sod
2) husband must be gone
3) dog must leave

They didn't fight it when the property manager showed up with his own lawn crew and replaced the sod and over charge (but they haven't paid yet). Husband isn't staying there anymore.

The dog is on the lease, so they said they don't have to make the dog leave

So they replied to the notice. . and nothing happened. Than they put the house on the market and sold to a lower bid (cash) than my friend.

So they get a notice 60 days, which is a full 11 days BEFORE their lease ends. You got that right, they are saying they want them out 11 days before the lease is out. They put a CLOSE DATE before my friend's lease expires

At this point. . .this guy keeps sending threating emails, text messages. acting pretty crazy.

My only thought is that they should just pack their #hit and get the hell out immediately to corporate housing (i..e fully furnished month to month). until they find their own home. ..

Personally, I think they should just not pay the lawn bill. . .and not pay the last 2 months rent on the grounds of
1) we dno't feel safe and have to leave immediately
2) the property manager already expressed they they will be breaking the lease

and if the guy wants to take the friend to small claim court, go at it. They have kept every threat, craziness, etc for records (my friend has refused to talk on phone since the guy is so out of control.. .wants it documented)

aka - its denver. When they moved in the front lawn was dead (the property manager even commented on it to me). I don't know about the back lawn. .but summer has been horrible. The issue with the lawn is that its not the end of the lease and my friend/husband could of done the work themselves or found someone cheaper.

to the comments on spouse: The husband and the friend were separated. No drama. Not a criminal mastermind. Not a felon. Just a artist and web designer

Old 08-26-2013, 07:48 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,178,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
the only "break" of the lease I actually know is that the spouse isn't on the lease and there could be a cause there. . .i.e. your significant other isn't on the lease and therefore must leave before leaving

the back lawn is in pretty sad shape. . . and they blame the dog. They may be asking for the dog to go, though. . .the dog is on the lease.
Most leases specify that all people who are going to be living in the house MUST be on the lease. If he is living in the house (or WAS) and he is not on the lease then technically it was broken.

My guess is that your friend has not even bothered to read the lease (many people don't), whereas the landlady has written the instrument to protect her interests and is exercising her right to remove any renter who does not follow the rules. This whole thread is mighty vague and difficult to comment on. You might have your friend explain to you what, exactly, the landlord is evicting her FOR, so we could get a clear picture, all this conjecture is useless.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting