Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 12:04 PM

1 posts, read 7,950 times

Advertisements

After I came home from lunch yesterday, I found that my apartment door wasn't locked. Once inside, I saw pieces of the door and hinges scattered on various places of the floor. The neighbor upstairs left a note telling me that there is a water leak and he had to kick in my door to check.

It turned out the neighbor living below me was knocking on everyone's door to try to find out where the water leak in his kitchen originated and the neighbor upstairs joined the mission. He told me that it wasn't his idea to kick in, it was the upstairs neighbor's. I think he should have insisted on the other guy not doing that because this was not the first time there was a leak downstairs. This is the third time. He and I have been through this before. It is an old building, old pipes burst somewhere, end of story, call the manager and the owner. There was no need to over-react and break down someone's door.

Fortunately, nothing in my apartment is missing and the manager will replace the door soon. Who knows, maybe he will tell the neighbor upstairs to pay for it. From my brief googling, it doesn't seem like there is much people can do with these semi-illegal entry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2013, 01:21 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
Why not call the police and file a report?

The landlord/property manager has the right to entry in such an emergency; a neighbor does not.

Old 06-23-2013, 02:23 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,754,096 times
This was breaking and entering...plain and simple. He didn't have to steal anything.

I would go back to the manager or LL and inform them that you are filing a report with the police and your door WILL be fixed by the end of the day. Your apartment right now would be considered unlivable per most state's laws...it's uninhabitable based on the fact that it cannot be secured.

I can't imagine the outrage I would feel if I found out that one of my neighbor's kicked in my front door instead of calling my LL for a water leak.

Old 06-23-2013, 02:39 PM

584 posts, read 1,934,616 times
op had no right doing so get the cops involved. that way if there is a brake in and stuff goes missing they know who to look at

Old 06-23-2013, 04:43 PM

1,378 posts, read 4,360,705 times
This was a semi-illegal entry just like a woman is semi-pregnant.

Old 06-23-2013, 05:19 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,200,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Why not call the police and file a report?

The landlord/property manager has the right to entry in such an emergency; a neighbor does not.
I agree. This is the best answer.Water leaks affect things under them . If the ops apartment did not have another one below it that was flooding there is no logical reason to check the OPs place until ALL of the ones above the leak have been checked... The cops need to be called and charges made. If it was a fire and smoke coming from the apartment THEN you break down the door .

Old 06-23-2013, 06:23 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
Not to beat a dead horse, but I would have immediately called the police and filed a report.

Old 06-24-2013, 08:13 AM

912 posts, read 5,258,613 times
Call the police and make a report.

People get shot in the face for a whole lot less than kicking down a door, and doing so is completely justified.

Some people....

Old 06-24-2013, 09:55 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggsbenedict View Post
From my brief googling, it doesn't seem like there is much people can do with these semi-illegal entry.
Correct.

As others have mentioned, you can call the Police; they may take action against the person; but it will be dropped due to an affirmative defense. Almost all laws on breaking into a place has exceptions for emergencies and where no criminal intent was involved. Some spell out the specific exemptions and others list the affirmative defense situations. This likely would be deemed non criminal thus no government prosecution.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:58 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,823,278 times
I don't understand, shouldn't these eggheads have called property management first? Anyhow, yes, file a police report. He can't be taught that it's okay to go around kicking other people's doors in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting