Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2013, 10:25 PM

479 posts, read 1,433,944 times

Advertisements

I have a roommate who creates a lot of noise on purpose, slams doors, throws loud temper tantrums, and has even broken appliances, like a microwave. I don't have access to the lease right now since I am out of town, but do most apartments have a termination clause in which one tenant can be kicked out for disturbing the peace and/or destroying property? My friends and upstairs neighbors have observed or at least heard these outbursts more than once. This is a fairly nice complex, so I assume it would include an eviction policy like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2013, 01:45 AM

118 posts, read 887,108 times
disturbing neighbors repeatedly should be a violation of most leases.
but disturbing you the roomate sounds like something you need to handle on your own.

maybe the landlord can kick him out, but you'll be paying his share of the rent until you find a replacement.

Old 03-29-2013, 04:55 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,009,922 times
Can you handle this unit on your own? If you evict, or have the complex evict your roomate, you're going to have to sign a new lease showing you can afford the place on your own.

I suggest you sit down with your roomate and have a chat. Tell him/her what's expected of them and tell them if they dont' shape up, you'll be asking/forcing them to leave.

You may talk to your complex and ask them how to handle this....if there are enough complaints about noise coming from your unit...both of you can/will be evicted.

Old 03-29-2013, 05:09 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,682,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidburn View Post
I have a roommate who creates a lot of noise on purpose, slams doors, throws loud temper tantrums, and has even broken appliances, like a microwave. I don't have access to the lease right now since I am out of town, but do most apartments have a termination clause in which one tenant can be kicked out for disturbing the peace and/or destroying property? My friends and upstairs neighbors have observed or at least heard these outbursts more than once. This is a fairly nice complex, so I assume it would include an eviction policy like that.
No, not generally and that specifically. If your roommate is a signatory to the lease and causes damage to the premises or continually disturbs other tenants then the LL can seek to evict but the proof and documentation has to be solid. This sounds more like a case where you unfortunately have a roommate who disturbs you more than anyone else and that's not something a LL either can or will address.

Old 03-29-2013, 11:13 AM

32,636 posts, read 47,995,345 times
The landlord can not evict one tenant. He has to evict everyone in the unit. It's very difficult to get a judge to agree to evict for noise. Maybe you could all be evicted for damage to the unit, but it would have to be more than breaking the microwave.

If this is a situation where the landlord has rented out individual rooms to tenants of his own choosing, it will be different. But if you chose the roommate and you are all on the lease, the landlord is not going to be able to help you.

Perhaps you could persuade the roommate to move out and maybe the landlord will agree to take him off the lease. Maybe. You could always ask. Sometimes that works.

Old 03-29-2013, 11:15 AM

32,636 posts, read 47,995,345 times
By the way, since you are on the lease, OP, you will be held responsible for all the damage done by your roommate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting