Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 09:14 AM

218 posts, read 780,132 times

Advertisements

Question for the experienced landlords.

I am a second time LL and rented out my condo. Nice people. Good credit. They liked the condo. Ready to move in a few days.

We did a walk-through where both of us had a checklist (I made a lot of mistakes in my first rental - which came back to bite me big time - one of them that I did not do a walk-through prior to rental).

Anyway, They picked at EVERYTHING. There was actually a point where I wondered if they were trying to get out of the rental. They were not - however I'm wondering if I'm being over sensitive (the condo was my home before I rented it out) OR if I am going to be expecting a phone call every month.

I had noted the big stuff that would not be considered wear and tear. They continued to point out every scratch. Every tiny little spot. The fact that the water pressure was not as strong as it should be. Every single rip and tiny hole (and I mean tiny) in the screens. One of the screens has slightly rusted - still fits, no rips but they want it replaced. The carpet is not as "tight" as it should be. The gas on the stovetop was really strong (I told them that's what the control knobs were for). And on and on.

So, this is just me being sensitive, right? I should probably thank them for pointing all this out?

Thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2013, 09:31 AM

912 posts, read 5,292,217 times
To me, it looks like they've probably gotten screwed out of their security deposit a couple of times by bad landlords, and are just making sure that you are 100% aware that certain damage (however small may be) came with the house, and was not caused by them.

I think they are just trying to protect themselves from you charging them for every single scratch at move out.

Whether they are problem tenants or not, you'll have to wait a couple of months to figure it out.

Best of luck.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:41 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,562,679 times
I agree they are protecting themselves and or looking for a discount. Just carefully document every "flaw" take dated photos of each visible one and make sure they sign off on it prior to move in. Things like the gas and water are just "deal with it" things. There is nothing wrong with both parties knowing exactly whats what.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:28 AM

32,860 posts, read 48,901,030 times
They just don't want to be charged for every little scratch when they move out.

Go around with them with a good camera and take lots of photos, with the new tenants in some of them, pointing out flaws.

Some "flaws" you tell them that the flaw is noted, but they will have to live with it. Water pressure, there is nothing you can do about it. Tiny scratches, they must live with.

Tiny holes in window screens, you should have fixed as soon as the last tenants were out. A mosquito can get in through a small hole in a screen. The point of screens is to keep the bugs out and if the screen won't keep the bugs out, it needs to be repaired.

If the carpet is loose, I would have had my carpet installer in to re-stretch it. Whether yours needs re-stretching or not, I couldn't say without seeing it. But it is cheap to do and helps improve the life of the carpet.

Old 03-15-2013, 01:40 PM

16,375 posts, read 22,661,440 times
I agree with the others. T

They don't want to be blamed for things that already exist.

With the gas pressure, maybe they wonder if the range will have issues due to the pressure. They don't want to be blamed for breaking the range.

They don't want to be charged for new screens because of holes.

Sounds like they will keep the place clean.

Old 03-15-2013, 02:06 PM

218 posts, read 780,132 times
Yes, I think they will take care of the place. And I think them pointing out every tiny thing will actually help ME when they move out.

However in regards to the carpet - I disagree with him about the carpet being loose. He also pointed at a place on the carpet that "may look like it will look like a stain in the future...".

I already had a plumber come out and check everything around the house, had the air conditioner and heater serviced (he asked me how old the furnace was and if I would consider replacing it since it's been over 7 yrs).

I understand the holes in the screens but I won't be replacing them. He also wanted a tree cut down since it "looked diseased" . It's not and more importantly it's not even on MY property or even any branches on anything hanging over.

Already took video and will send the pics I took with the changes on the checklist.

Old 03-15-2013, 03:30 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,807,929 times
I have been a LL for many years and I STILL wrestle with these kinds of things. In my perfect world I would be reasonable and my tenants, as well, would be reasonable. I do think when there is a picky, picky tenant at move in its a great idea to try and make them as happy as you can and also use anything you believe to be unreasonable as a chance to open a dialogue about "normal" house status. I have never found a good correlation between the picky move-in tenant to the keep it beautiful tenant and am sometimes so surprised that the tenant who inspected every hinge and window can turn to be an incredible slob. In the end, we all want them to take decent care of the property and pay their rent (on time!). And its almost impossible to tell (other than by getting a very willing prior landlord to share info) if the picky lease-signer will be a good tenant. Again, I struggle with providing a good service where all my tenants are "clients" but not soooo dependent they won't even pick up a screwdriver to tighten a loose switchplate. When I baby them to death it happens at times they even think I should change out the microwave lightbulb........but I absolutly abhor Landlords who disrespect and disregard their tenants who need LL services.

Old 03-15-2013, 05:37 PM

16,375 posts, read 22,661,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toopie28 View Post

he asked me how old the furnace was and if I would consider replacing it since it's been over 7 yrs.

..... He also wanted a tree cut down since it "looked diseased".
This sounds like they might become high maintenance. You'll have to ignore dumb requests early on so they don't have you on speed dial for lightbulbs and power outages and new paint because they don't like the color.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:22 PM

155 posts, read 568,131 times
Old saying when in doubt get out...

IF you rent to them save the list, and use it when they move out..

Best to pass....but hey check their references...

Cold day when I'd replace a furnace or cut down a tree for a one year renter..

Old 03-16-2013, 03:16 AM

118 posts, read 890,281 times
I vote for cautious.

these days, you need a checklist AND pictures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting