Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 09:02 AM

24,665 posts, read 70,082,317 times

Advertisements

OP: It does seem from what you've written and the way you've expressed everything that you really didn't approach the whole situation very nicely in the first place and have antagonized not only the dog's owner but the police and your landlord too.

If I were in your situation and couldn't afford to move right away, I'd be trying like mad to make amends and turn things around with some apologies here and there and some cookies along with them! A barking dog is an annoyance and I empathize with you - but a calm tone of voice and a nice approach do far more to resolve such an issue than barging in with an "FYI" as you put it. Good luck.

Old 09-12-2012, 10:50 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,228,163 times
IF the dog is barking after 11 pm and throughout the night, you do have an issue. If the dog barks daily for long periods of time, you have an issue. If, however, the dog barks 2 or 3 barks and then quiets, you have nothing on which to stand. And your attitude is not going to help you. You obviously do not like this "smooth" neighbor so I advise you to NOT have a meeting with him/her because that attitude alone will get you more into the doghouse with everyone around you than you already are.

What I do suggest is what others have already: write a letter. It would be a good idea to NOT send it until you have run it by a couple of people first who can advise you as to tone. Coming across as a "mad tenant" is not going to get you others' cooperation - be it tenant or management. Have documentation: dog barked from 2 am until 2:20; again from 4am to 5 am. It's obvious to everyone from those facts that it's disturbing your sleep, so don't get all melodramatic about it. Pretend you're Sgt Joe Friday and "just give us the facts." Ask for help from management in resolving these issues.

I know that plenty of people on this forum would help you with a letter if you post it.

Good luck to you.

Old 09-12-2012, 04:12 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,700,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasdee View Post
Greetings!
I am at my wits end about what to do about my new neighbor (only been here 6 weeks) who allows her dog to bark alot. It goes in spurts, and has impacted my sleep, my work from home, my physical disability, and now, my mental health.
I have lived here over a year, and re-signed until October of 2013. I have never been late, or had any noise complaints on me. This is the 2nd resident in that unit with an unruly dog. When I met the new neigbor, I gave her an FYI that unruly dogs are not appreciated, after she told me she had issues with the dog at her old apartment.
Strangely, it became unmanageable a week later. The office told me to call the police, who in turn got mad at me for bothering them. Both told me I was at fault for not trying to work with tenant first, and told me that I had to meet with the tenant. I asked them if they really think meeting with her is going to work, since the two lease violations didn't. They said "No", and then said it was my fault for not doing that in the first place. I told them the lease did not require me to meet with the resident, but it does say that unruly animals can be removed. They refused to listen to my recordings, told me that I am the only complainer, and offered to break my lease for me to "be happy".
That was two weeks ago. The problem decreased, but recently escalated again yesterday. I know I need to send a certified letter, but am afraid of retaliation or that they will tell me to move in 30 days. I am also afraid that neighbor will retaliate, or else get the three groups of new neigbors to testify against me or vouch for her. This new neighbor is quite the smooth talker, moved here from out of state to start a business, and has been a social butterfly in the community to try and win friends (and new business).
Believe me, I would love to move. However, I have a physical disability and limited funds. It is not feasible right now. How can I word the letter to get the landlord to transfer the tenant to another unit or remove the dog? I'm fearful of the reprucussions. I've always been sweet and pleasant to the office, and I know the letter would shock them. I do know all of the property codes to cite. Are most landlords afraid of certified letters? Do you think that sending one would create problems for me, or rectify the issue?
Thanks for reading through this. Please help me if you can.
I suspect the bolded part above is the reason that the OP is having such difficulties being taken seriously. Could be they already ran off one tenant and the landlord can see they're working on running off this one, as well. Plus, of course, having designated themselves the "assistant landlord" as far as advising new tenants what is and isn't acceptable.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:31 PM

55 posts, read 156,108 times
To all who have helped me:
Thank you! It seems the problem has been solved. One of the other neighbors approached me today, and he also heard the dog barking alot at various hours of the day and night. I learned that Animal Control had been out a few times, and the tenant was cited once. I knew I wasn't the only one who heard it. We went to talk to the manager, who issued a 3-day notice for the dog to be removed.
And to anyone who cares, I cautioned the tenant about her dog AFTER she told me she had issues with the dog barking at her other apartment, but she hoped the dog would behave this time.
I'm glad for the resolution, and will be catching up on sleep this weekend!

Old 09-13-2012, 12:19 AM

28,123 posts, read 64,084,357 times
Thread Closed by request...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting