Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 07:55 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,320,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foe84 View Post
My tenants lease ended yesterday, I've contacted them this morning about needing the keys returned. They were aware that keys needed to be returned yesterday. I will call them again. How many days must I wait before I can legally inspect their place and change the locks? I'm not sure if they still have items there or not and dont want to be accused of stealing personal belongings.

They weren't planning to move out after a year, but I gave them 5 months advance notice of the circumstances resulting in them having to move. I'm afraid a might be a way to stick it to me. Considering they came back around 10:00 last night to pick up the last car in the driveway and didn't come back. What can i do here?
I wouldn't assume they want to stick it to you. As has been said, the keys are prolly in a kitchen drawer.

If their lease has expired and you have not accepted payment beyond the terms of the lease, I would call and ask if they wanted to be present for the inspection, which will take place on _____. Then I would change the locks. Either rekey or just switch out the locks. Sometimes it's just less expensive to get some Home Depot locks than to use a locksmith.

Take pix if they left belongings or did damage that you will be charging them for (from their deposit). Maybe take another person with you for the inspection. Then send them a certified letter re: the status of their security deposit, enclosing the check for whatever you are returning.

Unless they were jerks, I wouldn't be a hard ass if they left any belongings- would just move them to the porch or something and let them know they have ___ days before being disposed of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 09:17 AM

11 posts, read 16,180 times
They have no claim to the property after 11:59PM of the last day of the lease. In some places, any left over property is considered abandoned and you may do with it as you please. In others, the landlord must move and store the property for (I believe) 18 days in which time the former tenant can pay the moving and storage fees then claim their property, or it becomes yours to do with as you please. As for the keys, a nice reminder call that the keys need to be returned or they will be charged for a new lock. I do believe in some areas the locks need to be changed between tenants anyways as duplicate keys could have been cut.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, you may go in the property to inspect as soon as their lease ends.

Last edited by robertlovespi; 09-04-2012 at 09:18 AM.. Reason: Forgot to mention
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting