Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2012, 12:50 PM

3 posts, read 6,325 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I was renting a room, which is about 150 sf, in a 30+ yrs old house with 4 bedrooms. I just moved recently and cleaned up the room after I moved out as per the contract. My landlord was not happy with the results. He asked me to come back to clean it again before certain date, which I couldn't make it. Then my landlord said he'll hire a professional cleaner to do the job and have me pay the cleaning cost, which I agreed. Here comes the problem. The charge for cleaning my room was $99. My landlord explained the cleaning company he hired has a minimal charge policy, which is $99. I was ready to pay even though I wasn't expecting to pay that much for cleaing a 150 sf room. I then called the cleaning company to verify the cost and the work being done. I then found out my landlord cleaned the entire upper level and the basement, which is about 1600 sf in total, for $160. Basically he paid only $61 out of his own pocket for cleaing 1450 sf of area. My landlord didn't mention a single world about the cleaning of the place outside of my room. If I didn't call, I would never the truth. Is it fair to ask for paying only my portion of cost in this case? My room is about 1/10 of area he cleaned on that day.

Thanks in advance.
J.C.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2012, 03:47 PM

31 posts, read 69,493 times
Here are the WAC's for the Landlord Tenant laws. And This is your responsibilities as a tenant. If I were you, I'd ask to see the receipt of cleaning. I know I moved out of an apartment and didn't take down a paper towel holder of all things and the removal of that was $25 and I received an itemized receipt in the mail that had the description of the charge, the charge, and the requested payment date.

I'm pretty sure your landlord cannot arbitrarily give you a number, I wouldn't pay anything without seeing a receipt.

Old 07-21-2012, 10:51 PM

I got the receipt, which is $99. My landlord has another one which is $61. Basically he asked the cleaning company to split the cost on two seperate receipts. The question here is my landlord is taking advantage of me. Just like buy one get one for free. I was the one to pay and he was the one the get one for free. What make it worse is he is trying to hide the truth from me.

If he didn't clean anything else other than my room, I'll willing to pay whatever the cleaning company charged for cleaning my room. But now I am asking for just my portion of cost. Would it be fair?

thanks!

Old 07-22-2012, 07:14 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Only you know what is the right thing to do.

If you are confident the landlord overcharged you... you could send him a check for the amount you believe appropriate and see if it is cashed. I might add a note stating you spoke with the cleaning company to arrive at the tendered amount and it is offered as payment in full on the disputed charge.

Or, you could do nothing and wait to see if the Landlord files against you leaving the decision up to the Judge.

Just my opinion...

Old 07-22-2012, 07:51 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,147,605 times
The landlord would be nuts to bother taking $99 to court, even more so if the OP sends him part of it. The real problem is getting a reference for another rental in the future. I would not be surprised if the cost to come out and clean just that one room was $99, and he would not have had to hire the people if it had been left clean. Professional cleaners are going to have a minimum due to travel time, and probably charge $40/hour or more to make profit after paying their employees, with overhead. Whether he got a deal on the other rooms is not really your concern. I'd just pay it and be done with it.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:34 AM

I thought i was overcharged. Btw, the payment of $99 has been deducted from my deposit.

@Hemlock140 - I am wondering why "he got a deal on the other rooms is not really your concern", can I say that my landlord wouldn't be able to the same service with the price he paid without my payment of $99 first? if that is the case, then these are are not isolated issues anymore. If he choose to clean his rooms on a different day, then yes, it is not something i need to worry about.

Regarding the minimal charge, I've got quotes between $50 - $75. Not sure why my landlord picked the one starting with $99.

Old 07-25-2012, 06:54 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,066,509 times
jc11ca, did you tell your landlord you know what he did? Just curious as to how he would respond.

Old 07-26-2012, 02:07 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,015,105 times
Call it a lesson learned and move on. This time when you move out, you make sure you CLEAN the place. If you're asked to come back and clean it again, SHOW UP!

I also find it a bit odd that the cleaning company would talk to you ( a stranger) so freely about your landlord (their client). Most companies don't discuss clients with other clients and never with stangers who just call and ask for specific information. I know we don't, we keep client information private.

Old 07-27-2012, 07:44 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,210,341 times
Do a cost benefit analysis.... is it really worth $30.00 to spend more of your time on this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting