Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 10:40 AM

725 posts, read 3,016,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drshang View Post
I think the difference is they paid the bill to live in a space for a certain period of time, and the OP is denying the rights to services that a resident of said space gets in exchange for paying the OP a monthly rate. I don't see how whether or not they "moved out" or "gave the keys back" matters at all in this case.

Reality is, if this ever went to court I would put my money on the OP losing if they continued to deny access to the facility. If the OP does not want to give the tenant access to the facilities that the tenant paid for, perhaps the OP should simply refund the rent.
We don't know from OP if the rent the tenant paid INCLUDED utilities. I am going to assume it did not, which is why I said no. If it did, then we know what the OP has to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 11:16 AM

1,369 posts, read 3,312,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0nginmyheart View Post
We don't know from OP if the rent the tenant paid INCLUDED utilities. I am going to assume it did not, which is why I said no. If it did, then we know what the OP has to do.
I have never known anyone to rent a room in a house that did not include utilities. They don't exactly have separate meters.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:19 PM

725 posts, read 3,016,447 times
You've never heard of housemates splitting utility bills?

Old 03-16-2012, 05:26 PM

70 posts, read 235,928 times
If the OP and the old tenant did not part on bad terms, I don't see the big deal in letting her do her laundry until the end of the month.

I rent a room in a house, and the landlord actually has a washing machine and dryer that have the slots to put quarters in! So, I would not benefit in coming back to do laundry ha ha. Either way, I'd have to pay to do my laundry.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:00 PM

711 posts, read 2,109,209 times
I don't understand the quandry here. Was she a good tenant? If so, why would you deny her this very simple request to use your washer/dryer that she used the whole time she lived there?

It would be one thing if she skipped paying you, owed you money, etc. You shouldn't even have to ask what the right thing to do is, and anyone who says differently...well...sounds like the landlords I've rented from.

Old 03-19-2012, 02:23 AM

3,113 posts, read 8,384,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJohnston_STL View Post
I don't understand the quandry here.
Once the tenant officially moves out, several things are set in motion - like the return of the deposit. Where I live, the landlord has three weeks to return the deposit, after the tenant moves out. But if the tenant comes back? Does that reset the three weeks? And if so, how will the tenant feel about that change?

Or what if the tenant accidently causes some damage while doing laundry? But the landlord already signed off on their move out? Is anyone really suggesting that the landlord should toss out their initial inspection, and do it over, once the tenant finishes the laundry, and is finally gone for good?

Once you move out, and turn over the keys, you lose your rights to the property. If you want to come back and do laundry until your 30 days run out, don't "officially" move out and don't hand over the keys!

Old 03-19-2012, 06:07 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,224,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncethelight View Post
Once you move out, and turn over the keys, you lose your rights to the property. If you want to come back and do laundry until your 30 days run out, don't "officially" move out and don't hand over the keys!

Are you saying this as legal fact or should it include..."In my viewpoint"?

Old 03-19-2012, 06:46 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,046,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Technically, the landlord owes her the balance of the rent.

If the old tenant feels like taking it to court, she'd win.

Also, the landlord PROMISED her that if she got out before the 30 days was up she'd return the balance of the rent.

She basically LIED to the tenant or reneged, because she doesn't have the money. Either let her do her laundry until the end of the month or give her back the balance of the rent.

The landlord PROMISED that she would.
Promises don't count unless they're in writing.

The tenant won't win in court. She turned in the keys which ended her residency in the room.

There is now a deposit on that room for a new tenant, the old tenant, who turned in the keys, no longer has rights to the property.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:42 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,099,281 times
The tenant paid for the full month, she is entitled to use the facilities she has paid for. My bet is that she would win in small claims court. The landlord should let her use the facilities and inform her that the time allowed to return the security deposit will commence when her 30 days are up. The landlord has benefited from the tenant moving out early, allowing the landlord more time to clean the apartment and make it ready for the new tenant. I don't see any reason the landlord shouldn't try to work with the old tenant in regard to using the laundry.

Old 03-19-2012, 01:30 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,694,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogluvr4 View Post
IThe old tenant's question is: "Can I get the keys back and come do my laundry so I don't have pay for laundry in my new apartment, since I've paid the rent?"
Read your state law as in many states, its often considered a prioperty rights termination once the keys are returned. This is not the same as rent payment obligations, rights, etc..this is strictly a legal thing about relinguishing any property rights regarding the unit or complex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting