Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 01:21 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,877,205 times

Advertisements

Walk-throughs on leaving are customary with PMCs. You should have no problem scheduling one.

On a side note, how did you enjoy your time there? I remember your threads when moving to the DFW area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 02:41 PM

309 posts, read 812,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Walk-throughs on leaving are customary with PMCs. You should have no problem scheduling one.

On a side note, how did you enjoy your time there? I remember your threads when moving to the DFW area.
Thank you.

Yes we have enjoyed our time in Texas, the summer was the hottest on record apparently so that was baptism by fire but we have made some lovely friends (including a lady I met on this forum and subsequently went on to meet in person as she is local to where I live and we regularly meet up for a lunch) whom I hope will not only stay in touch once we have moved to Denver but will come and visit when they want a respite from the heat or if they want to see some snow!

Old 01-08-2012, 04:00 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,109,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post

It is a good idea to request a walk through with the PM, but landlords in Texas are not required to provide one, so you may not get it.

It has been a long time since I rented here but I never had a landlord do a walk through with us in two apartment complexes we rented in before buying a house.

The Austin Tenants’ Council/Tenant-Landlord Fact Sheets has some good resources here with advice on how to move out and improve your chances of getting your deposit back under Texas laws. Taking numerous photos is an excellent idea. If the landlord does not refund your deposit in 30 days or provide you with an itemized accounting for any amounts he is withholding, then he has no right to keep any of the deposit.

That website above has some example form letters that can be used to demand your deposit back if the landlord is not forthcoming.

Old 01-08-2012, 04:39 PM

309 posts, read 812,741 times
Thank you CptnRn - I have saved that site for reference but hopefully having detailed the inventory and taken photos right at the start and I will take photos when we move out too there won't be any major disputes! Renting in the UK we never once had our deposit withheld but that is quite rare there too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting