Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 07:07 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,063,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobefobik View Post
Clearly you're a landlord and/or own your own home. I'm paying good money for this place, and I think I'm entitled to hang curtains up if I want. The lease does state "no unsightly rotting furniture, garbage, dead plants, etc." So, apparently furniture, plants, etc. are allowed as long as they're not unsightly. The definition of unsightly is nasty and hideous.

I did take them down...but if I have to take down my curtains, then everybody else should have to take down their tacky, obtrusive christmas decorations and banner flags. If they don't want curtains up, fine. But why single me out and make me take mine down? The manager and I have had a good rapport since I've moved in, so I guess I don't understand the reason for this.

Nope. Not a landlord and yes, I have owned several homes, but I am currently renting.

The reason they don't want curtains up is because they can't see what's going on on your deck. It's a security issue as well.

People here have put up outdoor shades on their patios only to have been told to remove them. The flags and other decorations aren't blocking the total view of the deck. You may be growing some ganja back there. lolol..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2011, 07:13 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,778,061 times
Sobefobik, you seriously need to chill. You're apparently itching for an all out fight before the issue has even reached the stage of a slightly raised voice. For goodness' sake take a breath, quieten down and go talk to the property manager civilly. Please.

Old 12-21-2011, 07:24 PM

850 posts, read 3,720,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Nope. Not a landlord and yes, I have owned several homes, but I am currently renting.

The reason they don't want curtains up is because they can't see what's going on on your deck. It's a security issue as well.

People here have put up outdoor shades on their patios only to have been told to remove them. The flags and other decorations aren't blocking the total view of the deck. You may be growing some ganja back there. lolol..
Like I said in my last post, they're pinned back. They are not blocking the view in any way.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:54 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,525,935 times
Maybe it has to do with curtains being more permanent and christmas decorations seasonal? I'm in agreement that you should ask politely for clarification in writing, why theirs are ok and yours aren't, before getting nasty. Maybe its because curtains CAN be closed and its an obstruction of a view or something weird. Maybe you have a nosy neighbor who complained. Maybe your lease is a newer version designed to prevent stuff on porches while the neighbors have older leases. Get information before getting mad.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:57 PM

24 posts, read 109,012 times
Big complexes are looking for a degree of uniformity in the outside appearance of the property.

That's why they generally don't allow patio shades, curtains without non-white lining, etc. Yours might be very nice and attractive, but it also opens the door for everyone to hang whatever the hell they want as a semi-permanent decoration to their home.

If everyone chooses different colors of drapes without lining, different colors and styles of patio shades (or patio drapes, in this case), it really can start to look junky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting