Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2011, 06:54 AM

1 posts, read 2,178 times

Advertisements

TENANTS RIGHTS FOR WATERING GARDENS

We are renting property, on a 12 month contract. The Landlord is adamant that we use the sprinkler systems daily to water and keep the lawns green, bearing in mind our property has a huge front lawn area.
Furthermore the lawn is infested with crickets and ants, and as a result is not growing. (We have pointed this out to him, and he claims it's because we not watering enough)
He continously harrasses us in this reagard. Our budget does not allow for high water bills, as we have already bugeted on approx 400 rand per month. (The rent is already excessive)
My neighbour is intimidated and does as the landlord asks and faces a water bill of R 1000.00 per month.

Please help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 07:03 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suemileham View Post
Landlord is adamant that we use the sprinkler systems daily
to water and keep the lawns green...
This issue comes up a lot with the "accidental landlords" who are forced or just choose
to rent their homes for a few years hoping that the market or their circumstances will recover...

...who will expect that tenants will maintain the property (and cheerfully too!)
at the same level of persnicketyness that they used to revel in.

The problem is when they don't put any of that expectation in writing.
Heck, half the time they don't even mention the mowing.

So.. what does the lease say about lawn and yard work?

Old 10-25-2011, 07:25 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
What country are you in?

Old 10-25-2011, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
What country are you in?
rand = South Africa

Old 10-25-2011, 01:32 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,681,995 times
a lot will depend on the agreement you made with the owner and how your country enfoces these agreements.

A general rule is when confronted with a dissagreement over what is causing a bad issue is to get expert advice. You say its due to insect, they say it due to watering. Now its a question of who is right about the cause. The answer will probably come from a professional landscaper. Thats who you should get to come in and look at the grass and provide a written professional opinion.

Old 10-25-2011, 02:09 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,478,357 times
I'm glad someone pointed out that the OP is not in the US. I came in ready to post a bunch of things that probably have no bearing in South Africa (like the fact that grass is healthier if watered longer times less often, but that might not be true there) Not knowing anything about international laws, and about local grass types and watering methods in that area, there aren't going to be too many people who can help you here.

I would say to see if you can get a consult with an attorney to ask the question of a local professional, but I don't even know if the local equivalent of attorneys do consults there.

Old 10-26-2011, 04:22 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
This is not unusual, especially in warmer climates with above average water costs.

After a few bad experiences early on... I now use very specific language in my agreements if the tenant is responsible in any way for outside vegetation.

The problem I have run into is that just about everyone would prefer to live in a park like setting and many have no idea the effort and cost of maintaining same.

My standard advice is to carefully go over your agreement to ascertain precisely your obligations... if you have any doubt... I recommend seeking local legal advice to buttress your position.

If you and the owner are still at loggerheads... a letter from your attorney will either clear or escalate the situation.

Good Luck...

PS... Sometimes it is not as bad as it seems of the utility spike is seasonal as opposed to year round...

Old 10-26-2011, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
...a letter from your attorney will either clear or escalate the situation.
does this mean that the former option of initiating spontaneous combustion is no longer allowed?
or that it just doesn't work anymore?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting