Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2011, 04:47 AM

219 posts, read 441,335 times

Advertisements

I live in a small 500sq foot apartment in south central pa. It is a basement apartment where the bedroom is underground and living room has a door that goes outside. I have tenants on each side as well as above. Today I went to flip my mattress over and I noticed what looked like mold. I have a severe deviated septum and do not smell very well. I took the boxspring off the floor and noticed a pillow and pillow case that was lodged in between the wall and the mattress. It clearly looks like something is growing on the pillow case.

It looks like everything is covered by this 'dust' of some kind.

There have never been any leaks or flooding of any kind nor do I eat or not keep my bedroom clean. It is clean but it's not organized. I have a lot of health problems and those take up the most of my time. I'm saying all of this because it may seem obvious to some people that there is a problem and I was just ignoring it or something. I'm not very observant and am mostly concerned with getting through the day.

I'm mainly concerned now that my mattress is ruined; I just paid 800 dollars for it last november when I moved in. I'm also really concerned about my cpap machine and if mold found it's way inside. The machine costs a lot of money.

I remember when I signed my lease they told me if mold was ever a problem they would give me a dehumidifier. My problem is I'm afraid some of my property is already damaged. I'm unsure and worried about how to proceed, since in general I do not trust any landlord.

http://i358.photobucket.com/albums/oo25/sephiro499/IMG00342.jpg (broken link)

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Attached Thumbnails
Is this mold?-img00347.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 05:07 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,941,419 times
I can only hazard a guess as in order to determine if it is serious mold would require expert testing but it looks to me like mildew. You should wash down the affected areas with a diluted bleach/water solution and take up the LL's offer of a dehumidifier. It probably would have ben a good idea to have accepted the offer in the first place as they've no doubt had mildew problems before in the basement (where it most often occurs).

Old 08-28-2011, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
It probably would have ben a good idea to have accepted the offer in the first place as they've no doubt had mildew problems before in the basement (where it most often occurs).
Keep in mind they offer the dehumidifier if you have a problem; it is available after the fact. I just now discovered this problem. I would like to salvage my bed if at all possible. My reading online though says it throw it away since you can't stop the process once it starts.

Old 08-28-2011, 05:24 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,941,419 times
If you google, "mildew treatment" you'll find tons of information on treating affected areas and I've successfully treated leather articles such as your shoes (and also a mildly affected mattress) with no problem and no further outbreaks once a dehumidifier was installed. Just remember to empty the dehumidifier very regularly. If you feel strongly that you would rather get rid of your mattress then write to your LL via return receipt certified mail, advise him of the problem and see what he says.

Old 08-28-2011, 05:49 AM

I am going to look into it now. I would prefer not involving my landlord whenever possible. As long as it can be fixed and prevented I'm fine with it.

Old 08-28-2011, 07:48 AM

16,375 posts, read 22,589,489 times
Did you say the boxspring was on the floor? It should be on a bed frame. You don't want the boxspring on the floor.

Old 08-28-2011, 08:22 AM

Yeah I bought a frame with my bed from sears but it was unstable and not secure. I returned the frame shortly after receiving delivery of the bed. I'm now going to buy a sturdy bed frame online and air out/ clean the mattress and box spring along with a thorough cleaning of the room.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:33 AM

3,198 posts, read 13,444,269 times
you can get a simple metal frame at any furniture store that sells mattresses for about $40 to $50,you probably don't need to order online and pay shipping for one.

Old 08-31-2011, 03:01 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,242,952 times
I'm not sure but I think you got Poo under your bed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting