Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 03:12 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,598,170 times

Advertisements

For the past week or so, I smell mold in the house the minute I walk through the door. We've had a lot of rain so that may be why. I'm renting a 1940s cottage that I'm sure isn't all that well sealed.

I feel fine, to be honest. I don't like the mold smell at all, but, I don't feel like I'm being harmed...is this just the beginning of something worse to come?

Should I be concerned about my dog?

I'm hoping this is not a major problem. Is all mold toxic mold? I don't really feel like contacting my landlords about this. But if I'm about to develop some major issue from it, I should.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 03:38 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,684,110 times
I can smell mold and mildew when I go into houses of humid regions. I think it can lead to sinus infections and allergic reactions to it. I'm not sure you can eliminate all mold especially where humidity exists.

Old 07-10-2011, 03:39 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,686,254 times
Honestly? A whole lot of muss and fuss about not much but that's only my own old opinion in a day and age where anything that makes you itch and twitch or snort is cause for a lawsuit ...

Old 07-10-2011, 03:39 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,347,350 times
Lol...so from what I understand the whole 'black mold' thing was a ruse to make lots of money for the people who remove it. As the mold companies said, "There's gold in dem walls!"

Mold, of course, has spores...those spores do exacerbate allergies, etc. So they are not inert and totally safe; however, I don't think they are the scourge they were made out to be.

Old 07-10-2011, 03:41 PM

455 posts, read 632,990 times
Depends on the strain I guess, you can have it tested.

Old 07-10-2011, 03:42 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,347,350 times
From the CDC:

CDC - Mold - General Information: Facts about Stachybotrys chartarum and Other Molds

Old 07-10-2011, 04:21 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,009,922 times
We had black mold in a house we rental one winter while living in MI. It made me and my oldest dd very, very sick. We had upper respiratory infections that lasted for over 2 mths. I have never ever ever been that sick...we were tested for TB because of what we were hacking up and how sick we were. Turned out to be the mold.

We didn't know the roof was leaking all across the front of the home...the water was coming in behind the walls and slowing leaking in to the rooms at the baseboards..it was undectected for quite awhile. The whole house had to be taken down to bare floor and walls when we moved out.

Old 07-10-2011, 04:27 PM

110 posts, read 163,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
We had black mold in a house we rental one winter while living in MI. It made me and my oldest dd very, very sick. We had upper respiratory infections that lasted for over 2 mths. I have never ever ever been that sick...we were tested for TB because of what we were hacking up and how sick we were. Turned out to be the mold.

We didn't know the roof was leaking all across the front of the home...the water was coming in behind the walls and slowing leaking in to the rooms at the baseboards..it was undectected for quite awhile. The whole house had to be taken down to bare floor and walls when we moved out.
Sorry you and your daughter got so sick. That sounds horrid!

To the OP - She brings up a good point. Ignored mold not only can make you and your dog sick, it can be an indication of something that could possibly ruin the house - costing thousands of $$$. I am sure your LL would rather know about this and nip any problem in the bud now.

Old 07-10-2011, 05:40 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,812,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Lol...so from what I understand the whole 'black mold' thing was a ruse to make lots of money for the people who remove it. As the mold companies said, "There's gold in dem walls!"

Mold, of course, has spores...those spores do exacerbate allergies, etc. So they are not inert and totally safe; however, I don't think they are the scourge they were made out to be.
Much of that "black mold" you "think" you see ( as we are so conditioned to think if it is black, it is mold).... well, on concrete block foundations, it is often silt which has seeped through. We have lived her 40 years. My daughter saw the block basement in a "wetter" state than usual after tremendous downpours -- remember, she grew up here! -- and insisted we get a mold inspection. The guy we called is a locally respected contractor -- he laughed and said it was silt which seeped through as the old drain tile outside is useless after all this time.

Old 07-10-2011, 06:12 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,598,170 times
Yeah that is a good point about potential damage - I'm going to let them know. I'm thinking they won't do anything to fix it ... but at least I told them.

Kim in FL, how awful!

If I start to feel terrible I'll have to pursue it further somehow, should they just let it go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting