Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 09:35 AM

186 posts, read 436,209 times

Advertisements

Just curious, why do rentals so often have carpet? Especially light beige/cream colored carpet? It seems so much more prone to wear. Personally, I prefer to rent & I really hate carpet. I know that you can't expect the average tenant to care for wood floors properly. I saw that living in Chicago with so many old buildings with (once) beautiful wood floors. When I moved into my first apt & was researching best care for the floors a coworker said I was wasting my time since I was renting I've never not gotten a deposit back; I take care of things.

Anyway, the house we are renting has beige carpet & I have old cats. I'm keeping the carpets stain free, but it's work! I wonder why they didn't just leave the tile floors that were here previously (we saw the sale photos). Tile floors seem like a good idea in this climate.

Another 'just curious' question. If you had a good proven tenant who had intentions of staying for at least several years, would you agree to switching out the flooring if the tenant paid half or all of the cost?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 12:59 PM

14,228 posts, read 30,188,407 times
Carpeting is the cheapest and easiest to replace flooring available.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:39 PM

131 posts, read 403,836 times
Cheap, cheap, cheap

Old 07-18-2011, 02:00 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,395,543 times
Called Realtor beige. It is the one color almost no one objects to...

Inexpensive and wears like iron if you buy the right stuff.

Wood floors and dusty desert do not go well together and wood flooring is very easily damage.

A LL might go tile or Pergo...never real wood.

Best combo is probably tile in kitchen and baths and carpet in the rest.

Last edited by olecapt; 07-18-2011 at 03:05 PM..

Old 07-18-2011, 02:18 PM

6,404 posts, read 11,978,814 times
I replaced worn beige carpet in one of my rentals with laminate (admittedly not the highest quality) and in my second showing the couple complained about how cold the floor must get in winter! Beige carpet works because get a good cleaner in there and you can make aging carpet look acceptable. Still I'm happier with the laminate, but it did take a bigger upfront investment.

Old 07-18-2011, 02:30 PM

10,864 posts, read 17,101,054 times
The carpets are usually "what comes with the house."

It's also cheap to replace -- tenants here usually sign the lease as a couple. But when they leave, it's grandparents, cousins, a soccer team's worth of children and enough dogs to open a kennel.

Doesn't make much sense to lay tile or laminate when it's likely going to be ripped up every year or two. Carpet can be ripped out and reinstalled in a day. Time it right, and you can have the painters in one day, and the carpet guys in the next, and new tenants in the following weekend.

ScoopLV

EDIT -- PS, if you wanted to pay the half the cost, I'd let you tile the house, sure!

Last edited by scirocco22; 07-18-2011 at 06:14 PM.. Reason: link not allowed

Old 07-18-2011, 02:32 PM

1,347 posts, read 2,463,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13blackcats View Post
Another 'just curious' question. If you had a good proven tenant who had intentions of staying for at least several years, would you agree to switching out the flooring if the tenant paid half or all of the cost?
Tile? In a heartbeat. Laminate? Probably.

Old 07-18-2011, 02:40 PM

23,784 posts, read 24,256,481 times
Here's another one for the landlords out there...

If your tenant offered to cover half the cost of a variable speed pool pump to replace the energy hogging (but fully functional) single speed, would you be apt to go for it? It's definitely an improvement to the property and will (should) boost resale value a bit. And, of course, "green" is in...

We're thinking about approaching our landlord about this, as we intend to stay in this house for a long time, and we'd save money in the long run.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:33 AM

186 posts, read 436,209 times
Thanks for all the replies! We figured it was a 'cheapest option' sort of thing. Just couldn't understand why they would rip up the tile that was in here when they bought the house. Could have been the 'cold' factor (that's what area rugs are for IMO), or perhaps it was damaged. Or maybe it's still under there?! (I've seen stranger things in my very old house in Chicago). For the record, this is definitely not the kind of carpet that's going to last. There are constantly fibers coming up that my infant son thinks make a great snack for some reason!

Old 07-19-2011, 09:56 AM

935 posts, read 3,467,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Called Realtor beige. It is the one color almost no one objects to...

Inexpensive and wears like iron if you buy the right stuff.
What "stuff" do you get?

The place I'm in now (4 years as a tenant) has builders grade (a buck per a square foot), which I believe has a realistic wear of 5-7 years depending on usage. Its the same stuff I had in my new construction condo and that needed replacing after 5 years. My landlord didn't install this, mind you, I was his first tenant after he purchased the property and it was installed by the seller, so of course its builders grade.

But just curious what you like to install? My LL may be needing to replace this soon. Though I'm probably going to try to live with it a while longer. He's had to do almost all of the appliances in the last 4 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting