Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2011, 01:45 AM

78 posts, read 394,370 times

Advertisements

As I was going over my contract, I noticed that nowhere does it spell out the owner / landlord's required turn-around time to repair the premises. It's apparently the standard California Association of Realtors form suggested in many books for landlords such as "California Real Estate Law" and he's changed almost none of the boilerplate text.

According to California law...
http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/landlordbook/repairs.shtml

If the landlord doesn't make repairs, the tenant doesn't seem to have much recourse. The best options, "Repair & Deduct" or "Rental deduction" require waiting upto 30 days and are specifically barred by the contract. Abadondonment and lawsuites require your health or safety to be in danger or a 'serious habitability defect'.

Doesn't this seem rather risky? He claims and I believe in the past he's repaired things usually within 1-3 days. Why shouldn't the contract specify something, say a 7-day turnaround for repairs or repair & deduct is an option?

The contract is very good at specifying my obligations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 01:47 AM

I would hate to be in a situation where my microwave breaks and I just have to live with it because I signed a dumb contract.

Update:According to this site 'habitability' includes much more than one would at first expect:

http://www.caltenantlaw.com/HabChecklist.htm

But the actual California Civil code seems to define 'habitability' much more narrowly:

http://law.onecle.com/california/civil/1941.1.html

Last edited by likesAppliances; 01-31-2011 at 02:07 AM..

Old 01-31-2011, 02:18 AM

It seems multiple source support this more liberal definition of habitability:
FAQs Codes and Habitability - City of Berkeley, CA

In addition, a closer inspection of the contract shows:

Quote:
17. Alterations; Repairs: Unless otherwise specified by law or paragraph 29C...Tenant shall not deduct from Rent the cost of any repairs, alterations, or improvements...
So the contract does not in any way limit my rights to deduct and repair.

Old 01-31-2011, 02:28 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,675,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likesAppliances View Post
It seems multiple source support this more liberal definition of habitability:
FAQs Codes and Habitability - City of Berkeley, CA

In addition, a closer inspection of the contract shows:

So the contract does not in any way limit my rights to deduct and repair.
What does paragraph 29 C say?

Old 01-31-2011, 02:47 AM

The '...' includes 'tenant shall not make any repairs', so 29C is really an exemption to that, it says a couple weeks prior to move-out tenant has the right to ask the landlord to inspect the property in front of them and itemize anything that will prevent a return of the security deposit. Tenant has a right to make such repairs himself rather than surrendering the deposit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting