Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2010, 06:58 PM

1 posts, read 4,858 times

Advertisements

I started renting a room in a house where my landlord lives downstairs, and this is new to me since I'm used to my own apartment.

Unfortunately there are certain things that my landlord says and does that doesn't seem right, and I'm starting to get overwhelmingly frustrated.

She comes into the upstairs with no notice (as well as when me and my roommate are not home) and has free access to the upstairs. Obviously neither of us have access to her downstairs apartment.

I signed the lease that says I need to give rent by the 4th of every month (which usually I have no problem with which is why i signed) but I'll be slapped with an $80 fee for every day that I'm late. (CT law says i have until the 10th)

What is also concerning is that she has an illegal apartment downstairs ( her dwelling and ours runs off of the same meter) and claims my roommate and I are spiking the electric bill over $300+/mo and that we will be paying the difference, which is absurd.

Am I crazy? Must I stick to a lease that is illegal by law because I signed it? and is this woman allowed in the upstairs without notice and without either of the tenants present just because we technically "share" a house?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 07:41 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,199,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n_rene View Post
Am I crazy? Must I stick to a lease that is illegal by law because I signed it? and is this woman allowed in the upstairs without notice and without either of the tenants present just because we technically "share" a house?
I have no idea if you're crazy. If you need legal advice, don't post on a public forum, hire a real lawyer and get actual legal advice that's worth more than a bucket of warm spit.

Old 11-03-2010, 07:47 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,964,437 times
Read the lease. What does it say about LL access to the apartment? What does the lease say about utilities? What does the lease say about payment of rent and late fees?
Read the lease. The answer to all your questions is in the lease.

Old 11-03-2010, 07:48 PM

1,237 posts, read 3,461,784 times
Yea that just sounds like a bad situation. How long did you sign a lease for? I would get out ASAP.

If you're running off the same meter, did you agree to a flat rate in the lease? Or is it included in the rent? You definitely need professional help with this one.

Old 11-03-2010, 11:18 PM

3,198 posts, read 13,456,704 times
Did you know that there was one meter when you signed the lease? Have you asked her about why she comes upstairs? What did she say?

What makes this lease illegal? Did you think it was an illegal lease when you wanted the apartment and signed the lease?

Old 11-03-2010, 11:21 PM

28,116 posts, read 63,980,998 times
In my experience lease provisions contrary to law are not enforceable...

Negotiating a mutual termination would seem a logical place to start.

You can always escalate if agreement is not possible.

For Legal Advice... seek the advice of a Lawyer well versed in Landlord/Tenant issues in your community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting