Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2010, 07:43 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,484,098 times

Advertisements

We've been in this rental proprety for 6 months. In that time:

1) the a/c broke (5 days to repair) I paid $88 to have someone come fix it on the weekend. LL decided not to use them (after he let me pay the fee) so he could get a 2nd quote.
2) the shower head broke (3 weeks to repair)
3) a plumbing component to the toilet broke (3 days to repair -- standing toilet water in the bathroom during those 3 days. LL knew this and knew the water could not be turned off because the valve was broken)
4) mold grew in the a/c vent and cabinet due to the plumbing and consequent a/c issues -- a/c broke AFTER the flood) vanity had to be replaced (completely covered inside with mold) and the vent was apparently full of water and mold. We endured a couple months of excruciating headaches due to this problem. I wasn't sure of the problem so paid $150 to have mold testing done.
5) Large tree limbs smashed my outdoor patio furniture. Literally completely broke it in peices and it was very solidly made (cost $700).
6) This morning another tree limb fell and smashed the front fender on my husbands car. I called my insurance company to see if that was something that renters insurance should cover or if it is the repsponsibility of the landlord. She said the landlord is responsible to keep up the structure and grounds. Renters insurance covers things not related to upkeep such as fire, theft, etc.

This is beginning to be too much. If I move when my lease is up (February) how do I know I won't find another landlord like this. Everything that went wrong here (except the a/c) was due to his negligence. And the cost of moving is very high. We are planning on buying a house in two years...we're not ready right now. Moving is going to eat in to those funds. And of course having to move 3 times in 2.5 years is crazy. I feel like this guy owes me something. What do you all think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 08:36 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,685,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post
We've been in this rental proprety for 6 months. In that time:

1) the a/c broke (5 days to repair) I paid $88 to have someone come fix it on the weekend. LL decided not to use them (after he let me pay the fee) so he could get a 2nd quote.
2) the shower head broke (3 weeks to repair)
3) a plumbing component to the toilet broke (3 days to repair -- standing toilet water in the bathroom during those 3 days. LL knew this and knew the water could not be turned off because the valve was broken)
4) mold grew in the a/c vent and cabinet due to the plumbing and consequent a/c issues -- a/c broke AFTER the flood) vanity had to be replaced (completely covered inside with mold) and the vent was apparently full of water and mold. We endured a couple months of excruciating headaches due to this problem. I wasn't sure of the problem so paid $150 to have mold testing done.
5) Large tree limbs smashed my outdoor patio furniture. Literally completely broke it in peices and it was very solidly made (cost $700).
6) This morning another tree limb fell and smashed the front fender on my husbands car. I called my insurance company to see if that was something that renters insurance should cover or if it is the repsponsibility of the landlord. She said the landlord is responsible to keep up the structure and grounds. Renters insurance covers things not related to upkeep such as fire, theft, etc.

This is beginning to be too much. If I move when my lease is up (February) how do I know I won't find another landlord like this. Everything that went wrong here (except the a/c) was due to his negligence. And the cost of moving is very high. We are planning on buying a house in two years...we're not ready right now. Moving is going to eat in to those funds. And of course having to move 3 times in 2.5 years is crazy. I feel like this guy owes me something. What do you all think?
I've moved 5 times in less than 3 years! Yes it sucks.
1) Depends on your lease. But in general the landlord is responsible for maintenance of everything in your apartment.
The landlord is responsible for everything else. Except 6, you should not have asked your renter's s insurance company this. Of course they will say they are not responsible. I'm not sure who is responsible in that case. 2 years is too long to stay with a landlord like this.

Old 09-27-2010, 08:44 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,484,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
Except 6, you should not have asked your renter's s insurance company this. Of course they will say they are not responsible. I'm not sure who is responsible in that case. 2 years is too long to stay with a landlord like this.
I don't actually have renters insurance. I live in a very low-crime area and we don't have anything of value... We're not technology people, no jewelry, don't keep cash in the house, etc. Our most valuable possessions are books. I'm not at all worried that we'd have a break-in or a fire. I was just thinking that since there is obviously going to be damage due to LL negligence I may need to get renters insurance.

Old 09-27-2010, 08:53 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,685,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post
I don't actually have renters insurance. I live in a very low-crime area and we don't have anything of value... We're not technology people, no jewelry, don't keep cash in the house, etc. Our most valuable possessions are books. I'm not at all worried that we'd have a break-in or a fire. I was just thinking that since there is obviously going to be damage due to LL negligence I may need to get renters insurance.
Not quite sure if the landlord is responsible. Most of the refrain from landlords will be you should have had renters insurance you are responsible. But I'm not sure that's the case. You'll have to see a lawyer. You might be able to get a free consultation or one for $100-$300 bucks for a half an hour to answer some questions. Also look if the landlord has disclaimed liability in the lease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting