Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 12:39 PM

146 posts, read 711,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
The replies here are based on arbitrary application. I would think that a big management complex would have both (1) some sort of guideline on what constitutes acceptable wear and replacement to maintain the reputation of the complex. That their threshold for wear and replacement would depend on what market and rent level they are tgting and (2) some idea of an average when that typically happens so they can plug that into their business model and plan for budgeting.
Not just 'whenever they think'
Nein. As long as you're there, they have no reason to replace the carpet. Once you've moved out, they'll assess and decide whether it needs to be replaced or whether they could command the rent they want with the carpet as it is. Sure, they factor in all kinds of costs, but as an average across all apartments in the complex and not on a per-unit basis. This makes sense because different people treat their carpets differently. The average could be 6 years, but some carpets might need to be replaced sooner in order to attract a new tenant, and others later. If they have model apartments then the carpet needs to be at least up to the standard of the model, but again, that doesn't matter until it's time to find a new tenant.

Think of it like how a city budgets for road repairs. They can predict roughly how much it will cost, but not which roads are going to need repairs, and they won't replace roads that don't need it yet just because it's their "time." Disneyland, on the other hand, does operate on a fixed maintenance schedule, wherein stuff is painted over or replaced on a regular basis whether it needs it or not. Needless to say, apartment complexes are nothing like Disneyland.

You're very clearly not a moron, so if I'm coming off as patronizing, I don't mean to be. Sarcastic maybe, but not patronizing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 03:21 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
The replies here are based on arbitrary application. I would think that a big management complex would have both (1) some sort of guideline on what constitutes acceptable wear and replacement to maintain the reputation of the complex. That their threshold for wear and replacement would depend on what market and rent level they are tgting and (2) some idea of an average when that typically happens so they can plug that into their business model and plan for budgeting.
Not just 'whenever they think'
I think most would only do it at the time the unit is prepared for a new tenant. Installing carpet is disruptive because everything in the room has to be moved. Perhaps a hotel might do renovations on a schedule, because they want all the rooms looking good, but why would they replace perfectly good carpet in an apartment unit that had been occupied by a single person with OCD who never let a speck of dirt sit for 5 seconds and the carpet looks brand new even though the carpet was 15 years old? A family with three kids and 2 dogs might ruin carpet in 2 or 3 years. The replace every 5 years whether it needs it or not would not do that family any good.

As far as reputation is concerned, I think prospective tenants will only care what the unit they plan to occupy looks like.

Edited to add: I suspect their business model plans renovations based on anticipated turnover, i.e. x apartments per year.

Old 08-08-2012, 05:49 PM

1 posts, read 2,748 times
Default Bull****!

The facts on the rug in your apartment. It is true that many property management companies are stubborn to replace rugs. But the facts are that after five to six years the dust from within these carpets van be toxic to sensitive people. This is due to the braek down of the fibers used to bind the rug together.

If you are a tenant that has moved out of your residence and you have lived there six, seven, eight years and the management company even charges you for a "cleaning charge." Fight then in court. They by rights should be replacing this carpet at no fault of your own.

For starters, if the carpet was that bad, it is their fault. They are responsible to occasional inspections. During these inspections cleanings from normal wear, or situations of abuse should be detected.

Don't let your landlord abuse you. And from 17 years in this business as a maintenance technician I can assure you these people will if you let them. They are as low as used cars salesmen. They will kiss your ass as long as your money is coming in. But when it stops? No matter if you are being evicted or a ten year resident who is moving only because they are buying a house, they will **** you as good as they can. I deal with this low life behavior everyday. I have been told more then once after returning a move out inspection, "ummm, you really need to go back and do it more thorough. I'm sure you missed at least $1200 of damages.

This isn't a joke. This is reality.

Old 08-08-2012, 05:50 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
most contractors say 7 years. but it never happens.

Old 08-08-2012, 06:14 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Despite the fact that this particular thread has been resurrected by one-time poster lowcal62 after being in the "dead zone" for two years there are several more recent posts where the legal issue of "carpet life" has been both raised and fully explained. This forum's search engine can very easily and quickly bring them up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting