Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 05:26 PM

33 posts, read 117,622 times

Advertisements

I'm visiting Reno at the moment and am looking at the college as I was accepted there for this semester, I'm curious about the snow here as I understand it usually doesn't last long but at the moment its covering nearly everything, I like to mountain bike (even in the winter) and could tolerate the cold but obviously now the snow makes it not possible to do this, I'm wondering would there normally be areas in the hills that would be free of snow during the winter where there are trails? Area all of the hills / smaller peaks covered with snow during the whole winter? What would the expectation be for the current snow covering to melt? Just curious about this as while I do snowboard, and plan to do this if I move here, I like to mountain bike too since its more of a workout.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 05:28 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,523,378 times
Expect anything, from snow til March to dry all winter, it is the high desert.

Old 12-15-2009, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarks View Post
Expect anything, from snow til March to dry all winter, it is the high desert.
yeah but from what I've heard the snow usually melts after not too long.... am I correct in assuming this or is it possible that the area would be covered til March? I mean its already over 40 degrees today I don't see how it could last too long if the weather stayed like this.... they don't even seem to clear the snow off most the side streets so its hard for me to imagine it being like this for long, if it was, why do they just leave the streets as they area (other than the major roads)?

Old 12-16-2009, 10:49 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,861,543 times
Yes the snow doesn't usually stay on the ground in Reno too long but keep in mind it is cold in the winter and can OFTEN be windy. Reno's typical weather is dry and sunny.

Old 12-17-2009, 10:27 AM

The only real answer is, expect anything. A few years ago Reno got a big dump in December, there were areas where it melted fairly quickly and areas that were snowy for months.

Old 12-17-2009, 07:09 PM

Thanks for the responses, well I guess my question would be then, during a time like this where snow is covering everything, what is the closest snow free area to do something like mountain biking? My guess is that it would be over the Sierras in California, unless there is somewhere in Nevada closer by

Old 12-17-2009, 07:37 PM

There is no real problem in snow biking, but, go east and you will probably run out of snow, Fort Churchill area is usually snow free.

In the spring we often biked on the ski slopes in the morning before the surface got soft.

Cold is going to be an issue, bike shops in Reno have good cold weather biking gear.

Also, consider doing what many locals do, switch to Cross Country skiing in winter. Lots of bicyclists can be found at Tahoe Donner Nordic Center. Paco's, the best bike shop in the area, is also the best nordic ski shop. It is in Truckee.

PACOSXC.COM: IT'S SKI SEASON! - Cross Country Skiing, Nordic Skiing, Ski Gear, Skiing Accessories : PacosXC.com

Pacosbike.com - Cross Country Skiing, Nordic Skiing, Ski Gear, Skiing Accessories : PacosXC.comPacosbike.com Is Officially Open For Business - Cycling, Road Biking, Mountain Biking, Cycling Accessories : PacosXC.com

Old 12-17-2009, 10:05 PM

Thanks for the info, I found a site about snow biking so I was thinking about buying the tires to try that, I do snowboard but never tried cross country skiing, I figure I'll try that too

Old 12-17-2009, 11:18 PM

I just thought of another question, I came back to California today from Reno so I'm not there at the moment but when I was this past week I was slipping all over the place with my regular shoes when I was walking around at night... I didn't think to notice this while there but what kind of shoes have good traction for icy sidewalks?

Old 12-21-2009, 05:13 PM

Most people just slip around, December is the worst, the days are so short the ice doesn't melt away. In a few weeks the ice except for northern shady places will be gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area