Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 12:29 PM

843 posts, read 2,216,036 times

Advertisements

From sat pictures I see a lot of dirt roads, just wondering if there's any place the wife and I could go and pull off for a nice view of our new town.

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2012, 06:59 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,222,739 times
There are some nice views from the campus of TMCC (Truckee Meadows Community College) with places to park etc. There are lots of areas off of McCarran near Skyline but I can't think of names of streets to park on, same for some of the views off of Mt. Rose Hwy.

There are several areas off of Vista up above N. Nevada Medical Center that offer great views with parking lots.

Enjoy

Old 09-21-2012, 07:38 PM

Thanks! We rode around Tahoe and came back on Mt. Rose.. nice road but we were motorcycling in the day so mostly paying attention to traffic..

Sounds like just the kind of places we're looking for!

Old 09-22-2012, 12:09 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,222,739 times
Are you enjoying Street Vibrations?
That event always made me a nervous wreck of a driver, bikes everywhere!
This is also the weekend of the Candy Dance (huge craft fair) in Genoa, near Minden/Gardnerville

Old 09-22-2012, 03:54 PM

Street Vibrations isn't our cup of tea, we like riding not sitting around talking about riding ;-)

Old 09-24-2012, 07:27 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,680,317 times
Summit of Peavine, good views

Old 09-24-2012, 07:32 PM

I wondered about that one, wasn't sure where it went. thanks!

Old 09-26-2012, 02:20 PM

Summit of Peavine is a great drive, lots of geology too, if you know where to look. In the olden days, Peavine was forested with pines, they were cut down and the micro climate changed, and they have not come back.

If you wander around to the North East side, you will see Aspen stands in the creases of the range. Those are remnant stands, left over from the glacial epoch, and are about 10,000 years old, cool eh?

On the subject of motorcycles. Nevada is a poor state for road bikes, not many interesting curvy roads and not many paved roads period. North East CA is great, but, it is already getting cool. The air seems warm at a stop, but it holds little heat at road speeds.

Nevada is a phenomenally great state for a Dual Sport, with extra large fuel tank. A KLR or BMW, lots of high speed dirt roads going to low speed dirt roads, gas stations few and far apart. Always plan your next fuel stop, before you start.

Old 09-26-2012, 02:51 PM

Now that I go looking at online maps for Peavine.. I'm not finding a road that fits this description, just a couple of roads in town that appear to be inside housing neighborhoods. Perhaps it's not spelled Peavine? -- oops, never mind.. pretty sure I just found it...

Thanks for the info.. There are plenty of nice curvy roads up in the mountains, and good riding gear in layers help out with the temps. We'll ride well below freezing if the urge strikes. Wife doesn't ride as fast as I do so traffic isn't too much of a problem..

I'd be more tempted to get a plated dirt bike, had a KLR and they're okay but I prefer something lighter. Definitely plenty of space to play around offroad though.

Last edited by braindead0; 09-26-2012 at 03:28 PM..

Old 09-26-2012, 07:52 PM

Quote:
We'll ride well below freezing if the urge strikes.
Black ice will take care of that urge real quick! And it is there, in the shady corners. I have ridden with full snomo gear on, but, I prefer not to.

The problem with the lighter bikes is the hours on them. A great ride is out 445 to the Smoke Creek Desert, around to Gerlach, get some ravioli from Brunos, then across the Black Rock to Double Hot, then up the old Applegate trail to Mud Meadows then up High Rock to Massacre Lake, then out to Cedarville. That ride would just about kill you on a dirt(ier) bike. A KLR or BMW has the longer wheel base and better suspension for 60 mph on the dirt.
Now, a caution, do not do this ride alone, or without a highly experience Nevada back road companion, Nevada not like the rest of the US, people do indeed die out on the back roads of thirst and exposure in Nevada.

Easy access to Peavine on Peavine road, a left turn just past Stead blvd. and, always, never leave pavement without at least a gallon of water, per person per day, I am serious here.... In summer you want a light tarp many a broken down motor cyclist has been fried by the sun. Make a tent, don't try to walk out till dark... This advice goes for every one who heads out into America's Last Great Place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area