Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 04:32 PM

81 posts, read 440,459 times

Advertisements

I had never considered Nevada until today when I looked at a chart for tax friendly areas for retirees...

I live in the NW and just HAVE to get away from all this rain for health reasons (severe back arthritis)

I am really confused about the weather there as I have seen all kinds of comments about long cold winters and also wind...

But according to the wind graph n data city info it doesn't seem that bad...

https://www.city-data.com/city/Sparks-Nevada.html

So can folks tell me what THEY are seeing with wind patterns? I know often these "average data" charts don't tell the whole story...

Same thing about the long cold winters, I am confused...

While this chart does show fairly significant snowfall

Intellicast - Reno Historic Weather Averages in Nevada (89521)

I don't consider 6 inches in a month a lot of snow...esp when it looks like daytime temps get plenty high enough for the snow to melt...yes, the lows are pretty low, but I am wondering how fast the temps warm up once the sun comes out...

I'm really looking for a place with moderate temps, not TOO hot in summer (I have a 2nd home in AZ where I just could not live full time as summer temps get to be 110-155 quite often) but also a reasonable winter, which it looks (on the charts) like you guys might have...

I'd appreciate you folks who live there to tell me what REALLY happens :-) as I know these average charts can be out of whack for what is going on currently...a lot of these avg charts take weather into account going all the way back to the 30's and 40's...and weather has changed in many areas (like WA) since then.

I have some other questions, but I'll post a separate thread as it is about totally different subjects...that way we can keep this thread just about the weather...since weather is the primary reason I am moving, it is really important to me to get a really good idea of what is really happening.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 08:47 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,226,215 times
This is my take on the weather. I lived in Reno for 19 years until 3 months ago when we moved to Central Texas.

Its dry - very dry. This means few bugs but also means its hard to grow things, hard to garden and the heat feels harsh.
There is little rain and the snow is hit and miss. There is amazing sunshine even if its bitter cold the sun can be shining bright, its deceptive. It looks so inviting until you step outside and the tears in your eyes freeze. Some years there is a lot of rain/snow other years none and everything in between.

I think its cold the majority of the time with about 4-6 weeks of summer that can at times be really really hot and dry. It was 103 the other day. The rest of the time its just cold. Its cold in the fall, its cold in the winter and cold in the spring. Cold dry air with a breeze for some reason can just cut right through you. The summers are short and often don't start until late June and by late August one can start to "feel" the morning cool that signals that winter is coming.
I've been to football games in September where we darn near froze and games in November where it was 20 degrees or where a t-shirt was the appropriate attire. I've seen spring baseball get rained out, snowed out and just as often cancelled due to extreme wind. I've trick or treated in snow andd other years in t-shirts.

The weather is very unpredictable, to say "October" will be nice is misleading. It can snow and blow early in the morning, cause major traffice issues, delay school and by 3pm be sunny, 60's and not a single sign that any of this occurred a few short hours earlier. Some years I would swear we skipped spring entirely.

One of the things I do miss is the cold nights. Even when its blazing hot in the summer like this past week was, once that sun goes down, the evenings cool off.

There is also the altitude to think about. It changes how one breathes, how one cooks, how ones car runs etc.

Personally, I don't miss it. I actually like the humidity that is here in Texas, it somehow feels good.
I don't miss the brown, every where you look its brown unless up in the tree line in the mountains.
I don't miss the "Dotty's" gambling joints on every corner and in every strip mall. I don't miss the general depressed attitude of the people who live in an area that has been very hard hit by unemployment and plummeting home values along with lots and lots of vacant abandoned property. I don't miss seeing business after business close their doors. I don't miss the lack of things of interest to do unless one likes to hike, bike, ski, hunt, camp etc. I prefer museums, art etc. N. NV has very little of that to offer but it has an amazing outdoors if that is what one likes.
I don't miss always having to have a jacket in the car because you just never know.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:50 PM

8 posts, read 23,511 times
Hi there!

We have an old joke here that goes, "If you don't like the weather, wait 10 minutes." Basically Reno weather can be unpredictable.

The good news is that it's sunny almost every day, even in winter we have lots of sunshine. And you are right about the snow, unless it's a huge snow storm, it usually melts off as the day progresses. This last winter we barely got any snow, which was really strange, but we still had cold days even if there was little precipitation.
The pattern here seems to be we will get a big snow winter every few years, and then we will have medium to mild winters for a while. You should definitely be aware that it CAN snow big here, but it's not every winter. I remember New Years day of 2005 we had a giant snow storm, and my little car was buried. I spent an hour digging it out and started to drive down the road to work, but I was sliding all over the place and almost getting stuck, so I just pulled over and walked back home.

The wind here can be really bad. It's common for us to have windy days with gusts up to 50 mph. I have some friends that live on a hill, and they say it's windy nearly all the time at their house. So if you do move here, try not to live on an exposed hill. I remember a few windy days this spring when I woke up in the night and heard the wind roaring outside my windows. Our apartment felt like it was shaking with the really strong gusts.
It's not really windy every day, but there is almost always a breeze. It's rare to have still air around here.

Temperatures in the summer are usually only really high at the end of July and into August. This summer is unusual as we have already had several days over 100 degrees, and it's not really cooling down.
Last summer was the opposite. Winter seemed to never end. Lake Tahoe (1 hour away) had snow storms all the way until the last week of June, and summer just didn't want to come to Reno. All my friends with vegetable gardens were really frustrated with the late start.

Winter usually returns at the end of October. Often the first snow of the year is on Halloween. Last year we didn't get snow until after Christmas. Hopefully this year will be different, since most of us like a little snow for the holidays.

Well, I hope my comments were helpful. Good luck to you!

Old 07-14-2012, 07:35 AM

483 posts, read 666,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheffy4 View Post
We have an old joke here that goes, "If you don't like the weather, wait 10 minutes."
That's funny because they have the same saying in Milwaukee and Chicago. Also heard it when I lived in Florida. Guess that old Mother Nature is a fickle old broad wherever you live...

Old 07-14-2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbpakrfan View Post
That's funny because they have the same saying in Milwaukee and Chicago. Also heard it when I lived in Florida. Guess that old Mother Nature is a fickle old broad wherever you live...
Yep, they say the same thing here in Central Texas.
I've actually seen the weather turn here faster than any time in N. Nevada but I think the one thing that N. NV had that really sticks out is the extreme swings in temps. It can swing from 70 to 20 in a matter of hours.

Old 07-14-2012, 01:08 PM

81 posts, read 440,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacatnv View Post
Yep, they say the same thing here in Central Texas.
I've actually seen the weather turn here faster than any time in N. Nevada but I think the one thing that N. NV had that really sticks out is the extreme swings in temps. It can swing from 70 to 20 in a matter of hours.
Thanks for all the info...sounds like it is going to be too cold for me and my poor aching back...

Funny, I have lived all over the country and they have said that about every state I have ever lived in...(wait ten minutes and the weather will change)

Does anyone have any suggestions for areas in Nevada that are a bit more temperate in climate? Nevada is really tax friendly for retirees, esp in my position with a military retirement that is going to kick in when I am 60, and also being on medicare due to my back disability...Nevada is very kind, tax wise, to people in my position.

The only other state that seems to be just as kind tax wise is the one I am living in and the cold rainy weather is awful for my back...

I've been searching all over the southwest and still haven't figured out where "my paradise" is

Texas is also a bit kind to retirees re taxes, but I haven't figured out anywhere there that is temperate...for people with severe arthritis as I have, they recommend low humidity (esp in winter) and moderate temps in winter. Unfortunately I don't like really hot weather, so looking for somewhere that doesn't get in the 100's very often, but has moderate winters, as winter seems to be the time of year that cold weather combined with humidity really gets to my back...

humidity in summer doesn't bother it, just the combination and cold and humidity is a problem...although I am not found of high temps AND high humidity...Anywhere I have ever been in TX in the summer has been very humid.

Old 07-14-2012, 01:19 PM

Perhaps more southern Nevada, it is certainly warmer.

I just moved to Central Texas right outside of Austin in the Texas Hill Country. We are in a heavily retired area and I gotta say, I really like it, even with the extreme heat of the summer everything has AC and its so darn pretty here. I actually like the humidity, it makes the air somehow feel good. It is really hard to explain or describe.

I am really looking forward to the winters due to the milder climate. After 20 years in N. NV I am tired of being cold. Everyone tells me I will love October to May and that June to Sept will be hot. Well we arrived here in late March, its now late July and so far I am not miserable. Sure, the day it was 108 was a bit much but I stayed inside. Last week Reno was 103 so it happens there also.

I visit the pacific NW often (Portland) and that is a damp cold, it soaks into your bones

Old 07-24-2012, 12:20 PM

9 posts, read 20,325 times
Default Reno weather

We moved from the Midwest a year ago and we LOVE the weather. We knew summers would be hot, but with the low humidity and fabulous evening breezes, we only turned on our AC once in 12 months. While we anticipated the benefits of dry heat, we had never heard of dry cold. In the mornings, temperatures were typically in the 20's, but I found that I didn't even need a winter coat- a sweatshirt was all that was needed. I also hadn't realized how much sunny winters boosted my mood. I lI've that we get all 4 seasons. If you like winter, Tahoe is right in your back yard.

Old 07-25-2012, 05:15 PM

44 posts, read 109,293 times
Default Wind is variable

You should know that some areas are much windier than others. In my own backyard, there is very little wind in the morning. It kicks up about 2PM and usually quiets by 7. I'll take the wind over bugs, smog and humidity. California has better weather, but there are other prices to pay.
I love Texas too, but it is too flat for my taste and the humidity, heat and bugs (fire ants!) are negatives. As in Nevada, the people are very nice.

Old 09-08-2012, 06:02 AM

21 posts, read 32,805 times
Default Reno weather

Hello wldgrdnr!

Don't let these weather whiners stop you from looking at the Reno area. I am in your same situation- retired military, severe bad joints that need low humidity and dry weather and I searched for mild weather. I moved to Reno from Olympia, WA as the weather there caused much physical pain and respiratory difficulties. We're originally from southern AZ and in no way wanted the extreme heat so we searched and visited many locations in the southwest. Several visits to Reno sold us and after 20-years in western WA our permanent move here was just the ticket. Like you, I read all the weather complaints, chief among those was the wind but since we have moved here it is a non-issue, a very minor thing to have in trade for much less pain and increased mobility. Oh, and I now have very few Asthma attacks.

My wife and I always find different things to do both indoors and out. And yes, if it is your thing, there is a very good arts culture here from museums to acting, musical concerts to many fun-filled festivals. For a military retiree, Reno has a great VA hospital and many veterans groups such as the VFW, American Legion, etc. Community pride is rampant here in Northern Nevada and the people are very friendly and helpful, unlike WA. Also, the average of over 325-days of sunshine per year is totally awesome....

I would strongly advise you to do more research, come for a visit or two, ask a lot of questions of the locals and definitely get away from your hotel and do a little exploring in the area. Hell, look at some houses or apartments, we found our apartment on rent.com and are slowly searching for that final and perfect house purchase. Life is great in the slow lane and we have plenty of time to make our next move.

Overall, for us, relocating to Reno is the best thing we've done in 20-years!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area