Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2010, 04:38 PM

9,930 posts, read 13,926,048 times

Advertisements

Your thoughts on religion, god, hell, blind faith, etc. Use quotes, pictures, your own words. Whatever!

Some quotes by Voltaire~One of my heros!

Nothing can be more contrary to religion and the clergy than reason and common sense.

Common sense is not so common.

Of all religions, the Christian should of course inspire the most tolerance, but until now Christians have been the most intolerant of all men.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 07:57 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,015,894 times
I always liked Nietzche's quote 'God is dead, we killed him.'

Old 05-25-2010, 09:53 PM

783 posts, read 1,326,709 times
While you quotes may be expressions of a worldview, they don’t articulate a specific worldview. Can you define your particular worldviews?

Old 05-26-2010, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt & Light View Post
While you quotes may be expressions of a worldview, they don’t articulate a specific worldview. Can you define your particular worldviews?

Here is something I can thoroughly relate to...

The Holy Roman Empire is neither Holy, nor Roman, nor an Empire.~Voltaire

Old 05-26-2010, 07:21 AM

33,536 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Atheism is more than just the knowledge that gods do not exist, and that religion is either a mistake or a fraud. Atheism is an attitude, a frame of mind that looks at the world objectively, fearlessly, always trying to understand all things as a part of nature.....
written by Carl Sagan

Old 05-26-2010, 11:00 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
I am Chango, purveyer of cheesy one-liners, dumpster-diver for knowledge and consumer of fine beverages that are beyond my income tax bracket. I can look at the night sky and wonder, then go inside and laugh at a 10 year old's fart jokes. I can read a scientific analysis of a Homo Erectus ulna, then roll it up and smoke it. I can out-ride, out shoot and out fight any man alive, as long it's on the Xbox and I now spend most days at a desk trying to dodge work as much as possible and often times wish I was back in my more "interesting" parts of life. I've seen a lot of death and horror in my short life, but I survived it and the scars have more or less healed, so it's all good.

This is my philosophy of life which is subject to change tomorrow, so put that in your pipe and smoke it!

So what else is in my head?

My left brain says I'm a hairless bipedal ape who is the result of millions of years of evolution. All religions are man-made institutions, there is no such thing as "magic" and we are barely above animals in both our perspectives and behaviors. Science is currently our best hope of understanding our place in the universe, though it sometimes falls short and fails to adequately answer the "big questions".

But on the other side of my cranial boxing ring, my right brain says there is something more...

The universe and all that exists is really far more dynamic, grander in scope, complexity, and sheer beauty than we can imagine. Despite all we think we know, I can feel deep down that we are more than just what we appear to be on the surface. We are currently only scratching the surface of reality scientifically and when it comes down to it, we honestly don't have the slightest inkling of what we really are. Religions are attempts to give meaning to that deep rooted piece of human intuition, and science ignores it all together. Both ways are ultimately right and wrong, from a certain point of view.

In the end, I believe it can somehow all makes sense, and I hope I will one day grow into something greater that is capable of undertanding, though not necessarily in my current form. Until the big flush, I guess I'll have to just wait and see.

Old 05-26-2010, 11:02 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,932,095 times
Other people are not my property, and I am not theirs.

Old 05-26-2010, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarmig View Post
Other people are not my property, and I am not theirs.
I like that!

I love one liners too! Here's another one I like by Voltaire...

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality