Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 04:45 PM

2,108 posts, read 2,898,774 times

Advertisements

My wife and I were just talking about how we have no fear of death. We feel like when it happens, it happens. Just as we accept the death of the plants around us, we accept that we are part of the natural, organic world, and we will die, too.

We talked about how some religions for some people (note my modifiers) instill a fear of death, that is really a fear of judgment - judgment of how you lived your life by some god. Some believers ask themselves, "Will I measure up? Will God approve? Have I done enough? I am so painfully and embarrassingly aware of my flaws and mistakes."

I am so glad that I do not bear the weight of those concerns. I don't care what a god thinks of me, because I do not believe a god exists. I have no feelings of guilt for sins of commission or sins of omission. I do not have to shamefully confess supposed wrong doings before a priest, or a bishop, or a god.

Yet, I live a very ethical and socially responsible life. I am a good person. I don't need the fear of divine judgment to keep me in check. I care about the feelings of others: my wife, my children, my community. I apologize to them if I hurt them. But, I owe nothing to a god. I break no divine laws because they do not exist.

There is something really freeing when one lives one's life without the fear of eternal judgment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2010, 04:47 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,937,880 times
I agree.. for a long time now, I have not feared death, only the dying.

And it's a great motivator. Every day I ask myself, "If I die today, am I okay with what I have accomplished?"

If that answer is "no", I need to fix something.

Old 05-15-2010, 06:23 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,206,407 times
The only concern I have about death is that I go quickly with as little pain as possible.

Old 05-15-2010, 06:56 PM

17,164 posts, read 11,420,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post
Yet, I live a very ethical and socially responsible life. I am a good person. I don't need the fear of divine judgment to keep me in check. I care about the feelings of others: my wife, my children, my community. I apologize to them if I hurt them. But, I owe nothing to a god. I break no divine laws because they do not exist.

There is something really freeing when one lives one's life without the fear of eternal judgment.
Do your ethics include forgiving those who have done wrong to you, even to the point of desiring good for, and seeking opportunities to do good to, those who treat you badly? I'm just wondering if you have found that that is, generally speaking, also part of a natural ethics code or if that is something taught by religion which goes against nature. Just pondering.

Old 05-15-2010, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Do your ethics include forgiving those who have done wrong to you, even to the point of desiring good for, and seeking opportunities to do good to, those who treat you badly?
Absolutely. That is but an example of pro-social morality. Humans, and other primates, evolved in small familial societies. Pro-social morality evolves in societies because it is important to have a way to reconcile members of the society after wrongs have been done, else the society would dissolve, and we would be left with lone individuals.

Historically, we stand a better chance for surviving and reproducing if we stick together than if we go it alone. It makes sense that pro-social morality would evolve when you look at it that way.

Old 05-15-2010, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Absolutely. That is but an example of pro-social morality. Humans, and other primates, evolved in small familial societies. Pro-social morality evolves in societies because it is important to have a way to reconcile members of the society after wrongs have been done, else the society would dissolve, and we would be left with lone individuals.

Historically, we stand a better chance for surviving and reproducing if we stick together than if we go it alone. It makes sense that pro-social morality would evolve when you look at it that way.
I'm just wondering how many people, even if they hold to it as an ideal way to live and interact, are actually able to live up to their ideal on a regular basis.

I'm following the free flow of thoughts that were prompted by your o.p. and in the process I may be veering away from your intended purpose, I'm not sure. My apologies if that is the case. It just seems to me that regardless if one is concerned only with one's own standards or that of a divine being, unless those standards are quite low (which yours do not appear to be) there are going to be many times when one fails to meet them. Even if there is no "eternal judgment" on the line, there is still an internal judgment which one may find it very difficult to cope with.

Old 05-15-2010, 07:43 PM

Quote:
It just seems to me that regardless if one is concerned only with one's own standards or that of a divine being, unless those standards are quite low (which yours do not appear to be) there are going to be many times when one fails to meet them. Even if there is no "eternal judgment" on the line, there is still an internal judgment which one may find it very difficult to cope with.
True. But, the concern of god's judgment weighing over one's head feels different than the way the recognition that one does not perform ideally in a number of situations and the desire to do a little better in the future feels.

Different people deal with their own imperfections differently. Some are harsh with themselves, demanding perfection and are slow to forgive themselves. Others, such as myself, am patient with myself and am quick to move forward. I don't excessively guilt myself. I am quick to apologize when I recognize that I offend others, change my behavior, and move on.

I am more than ok with not being perfect. It is not an obsession of mine to live my aspirations to the fullest. I am not a fanatic. I see others become fanatical about living green or some other principle. That will never be me again. I am a human, I do what humans do. When I die, that will be the end of me and I will receive no reward for fanatical devotion to some principle. So, there is no point to stress myself out about it. I am easy-going in my personality. I do what I can when I think something is right. But, I live my life without judging myself too harshly; and I'm surely not bearing the weight of a foreboding divine judgment over my head.

Old 05-15-2010, 08:32 PM

Quote:
True. But, the concern of god's judgment weighing over one's head feels different than the way the recognition that one does not perform ideally in a number of situations and the desire to do a little better in the future feels.
If a person believes in a punitive god, then yes, it does feel different, I absolutely agree. But if someone believes in a god who's corrections are compelled by love, disciplinary in nature, and serve a worthwhile purpose, then it doesn't necessarily induce fright.

Quote:
Different people deal with their own imperfections differently. Some are harsh with themselves, demanding perfection and are slow to forgive themselves. Others, such as myself, am patient with myself and am quick to move forward. I don't excessively guilt myself. I am quick to apologize when I recognize that I offend others, change my behavior, and move on.

I am more than ok with not being perfect. It is not an obsession of mine to live my aspirations to the fullest. I am not a fanatic. I see others become fanatical about living green or some other principle. That will never be me again. I am a human, I do what humans do. When I die, that will be the end of me and I will receive no reward for fanatical devotion to some principle. So, there is no point to stress myself out about it. I am easy-going in my personality. I do what I can when I think something is right. But, I live my life without judging myself too harshly; and I'm surely not bearing the weight of a foreboding divine judgment over my head.
So, in reality, you're saying it comes down to personality, regardless of belief in a deity (as long as the belief is not in a god who threatens "eternal judgment"). Someone who is obsessive or perfectionist is going to be stressed, whether they believe in a god or not.

Old 05-15-2010, 08:43 PM

Quote:
So, in reality, you're saying it comes down to personality, regardless of belief in a deity (as long as the belief is not in a god who threatens "eternal judgment"). Someone who is obsessive or perfectionist is going to be stressed, whether they believe in a god or not.
That is the key and the point of this thread.

Old 05-15-2010, 08:52 PM

Quote:
That is the key and the point of this thread.
I guess because you added the bits about how you didn't care about what a non-existent god thought, the tenor of your post seemed to indicate a broader indictment of belief in a deity in general. I appreciate you clarifying your point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality