Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 12:28 AM

743 posts, read 2,233,443 times

Advertisements

I know there are little things (or not so little things) that happen in our lives where we wonder if it was coincidence or the hand of God.

The other night I was putting my 5 yo daughter to bed. Usually, she grabs her stuffed animals, I lay down beside her and pray over her and she holds my hand until she falls asleep (I know....but, she's my youngest...and I just don't want her to grow up...LOL)

Well....the other night, she said she was not tired. So, I started stroking her hair (something I never do because she always wants to hold my hand.....part of her routine). The thought even entered my mind "I'm stroking her hair....I never do this".

Well, about a minute into this, I felt a bump on her head, so I turned on the light and.....it was a tic! Even though we live in Northern Virginia and there are tics around in summer, I grew up in PA where we didn't have tics. For the 20 years I've lived here, I never found a tic before and I never check my kids for tics. (Maybe that will change )

By then the other kids and DH were coming in to see what was going on. DH pulled the tic out (when we met he was 24 and lived in the woods in NC w/ an "outward bound" type of group w/ troubled kids ) since the head hadn't gone in yet.

I just can't help but think it was either her or my guardian angel or the Holy Spirit giving me the "urge" to stroke her hair. Especially since I was thinking how strange it was for me to do this when our "routine" was to hold hands.

I know it sounds very simple and silly.....but, does anyone have any little "brushes w/ God" with little things which reinforce that our God is a Living God and cares for each of us?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2007, 12:31 AM

9,763 posts, read 10,523,473 times
Why would God direct you to the tick instead of preventing the tick from biting in the first place?

Old 06-11-2007, 12:44 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,813,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Why would God direct you to the tick instead of preventing the tick from biting in the first place?
Because the tick has "free will" of course!...

Old 06-11-2007, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beth ann View Post
I know it sounds very simple and silly.....but, does anyone have any little "brushes w/ God" with little things which reinforce that our God is a Living God and cares for each of us?
Yes I think something made you alter your routine that night. So it was either God or your mother's intuition, which is still a gift from God. So either way God wins.

Old 06-11-2007, 12:49 AM

Quote:
I guess what you're really asking is "why doesn't God prevent all the murders, abductions, terrorist acts....basically all evil....to begin with?"

Old 06-11-2007, 12:50 AM

Quote:
I guess what you're really asking is "why doesn't God prevent all the murders, abductions, terrorist acts....basically all evil....to begin with?"
Ok you could go with that...but I liked my answer better.

Old 06-11-2007, 01:02 AM

9,763 posts, read 10,523,473 times
Quote:
No, I'm asking why certain events are interpreted as acts of God and others aren't. The problem of evil is a valid discussion point, but beyond the scope of my simple question. The problems you've noted are dogmatically attributed to man, not a tick. Ticks aren't evil.

What you describe is analagous to someone serving food that you're allergic to, just so he could save you from eating it at the last minute. Such a scenario makes little sense, and it likewise makes no sense that God would let a tick bite your child just so he could direct you to it.

Some things really are coincidental.

Old 06-11-2007, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
Because the tick has "free will" of course!...
This is a much cuter answer, Irishmom

Old 06-11-2007, 01:10 AM

Quote:
No, I'm asking why certain events are interpreted as acts of God and others aren't. The problem of evil is a valid discussion point, but beyond the scope of my simple question. The problems you've noted are dogmatically attributed to man, not a tick. Ticks aren't evil.

What you describe is analagous to someone serving food that you're allergic to, just so he could save you from eating it at the last minute. Such a scenario makes little sense, and it likewise makes no sense that God would let a tick bite your child just so he could direct you to it.

Some things really are coincidental.
No, the essence of a tick is not evil....but, it does produce symptoms and disease if left to continue to suck anohter's blood. The tick hadn't bit her since the head was still out; it was just stuck to her hair shaft; it probably had not been there long.

My point here is that if I had not stoked my daugher's hair, the tick would have bit my daughter and sucked her blood (that sounds wierd ) all night long. She would have been sick in the morning, most likely.

The thought of me stroking her hair as unusual ran through my mind. The fact I was conscience of the fact that I was stroking her hair and I never do that and how differnt it was that I was doing that all adds to the situation, imo.

Old 06-11-2007, 01:12 AM

Nvxplorer....just read St. Thomas Aquinas "Summa Theologica" if you want to tackle the philosophical subject of the existance of God (essence, nature, causality, order, etc.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality