Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2007, 11:13 AM

1,895 posts, read 5,901,814 times

Advertisements

Soldier Funeral Protester Arrested (http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2007/06/06/national/a153335D25.DTL - broken link)

(06-06) 15:33 PDT Omaha, Neb. (AP) --

A member of the Kansas group that has drawn criticism for protesting at soldiers' funerals has been arrested for letting her 10-year-old son stomp on a U.S. flag during a demonstration. She promised Wednesday to challenge the state's flag desecration law in court.

Last edited by Administrator; 12-03-2007 at 03:01 AM.. Reason: [cut - too much of the article reposted]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2007, 11:30 AM

1,491 posts, read 3,116,711 times
Crazy stuff. There are some very unusual fringe groups who go beyond normal boundaries. Whether or not one supports military involvement, we need to support the men and women who put their lives on the line every day wherever they are. Stomping on a flag sure doesn't show respect for them or for those who have died in the past for our country.

I think sometimes we really abuse our freedom of speech far too much.

Old 06-08-2007, 12:24 PM

842 posts, read 3,229,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
Wow. That was unnecessary.

But really, big deal, so she stomped on a flag. The disgraceful part is them protesting the funerals, period.
I agree...protesting the funerals is disgusting, but apparently stomping on a flag is worse?!?. Seems like messed up priorities to me.

I never understood the reverence paid to a piece of cloth. Soldiers don't (or at least shouldn't) die for a piece of cloth. They die for the freedoms that it represents. But lately, it seems like protecting the flag is more important than protecting the freedoms that it represents. The flag is practically worshipped in this country, and I don't see how this isn't a form of idolatry.

Old 06-08-2007, 12:32 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,854,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbognar View Post
I agree...protesting the funerals is disgusting, but apparently stomping on a flag is worse?!?. Seems like messed up priorities to me.

I never understood the reverence paid to a piece of cloth. Soldiers don't (or at least shouldn't) die for a piece of cloth. They die for the freedoms that it represents. But lately, it seems like protecting the flag is more important than protecting the freedoms that it represents. The flag is practically worshipped in this country, and I don't see how this isn't a form of idolatry.

Here, here! Well put. My father is a Vietnam Vet and he finds the whole flag-burning thing a bit overly dramatic. He believes he fought for his country and freedom, which is symbolized by the flag. Our country is way too strong to be hanging by a flag-thread.

Old 06-08-2007, 12:41 PM

284 posts, read 1,681,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlemur View Post
Crazy stuff. There are some very unusual fringe groups who go beyond normal boundaries. Whether or not one supports military involvement, we need to support the men and women who put their lives on the line every day wherever they are. Stomping on a flag sure doesn't show respect for them or for those who have died in the past for our country.

I think sometimes we really abuse our freedom of speech far too much.
AMEN! I pray that our soldiers and their families do not ever think that fringe groups like this speak for the public as a whole. God bless our troops and their families!

Old 06-08-2007, 12:58 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,509,987 times
But really, big deal, so she stomped on a flag. The disgraceful part is them protesting the funerals, period.[/quote]

I agree. I have lived through the sixties and seventies flag desecration, bra burning,war protesting,flower children,Kent State, etc, etc. That crazy stuff was about politics..Protesting a soldiers funeral who died so that all crazies can do all that protesting is nothing more than a personal, evil attack on a grieving family. These funeral protests are not gonna stop the war!! Shame on them and shame on their leader. Would we stoop so low to disrespect the funeral of one of them?

Old 06-08-2007, 03:54 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,624,668 times
This is truly one of the most whacko groups in the US. It's a shame that any of them have children that they can influence. I agree it's not the business with the flag that's so offensive, it's the fact that someone has died while serving their country and they're being honored at their funeral and then it's disrupted by something as disgusting as this. They really don't represent any legitimate religious point of view and there's no church that would have anything to do with them. It's just a small group who's trying to be as disruptive as they can and they could care less if their behavior is hurtful to a family that's just lost a loved one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality