Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 10:26 PM
jco

2,121 posts, read 6,463,262 times

Advertisements

There's nothing I could do to make a person a Christian. The Bible's pretty clear that it's only God's work and not man's. This said, I have led two people to Christ. One ended up leading their entire family to the Lord. The other I'm not in contact with any longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2007, 09:11 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,666,399 times
Quote:
After we hung up, I didn't hear from him again for about 6 months. Then he finally called me up again one day and told me that he had been drug free for that entire time and was now in truck driving school and going to get away from EVERYTHING. It's been about 2 years now, he is still DRUG free (although he does have an occasional drink , but hey, I'm not complaining) and he calls me a couple of times a month and tells me that I saved his life and that he owes it all to me. However, I always tell him...he owes me NOTHING, he owes it all to GOD!
kawg, that was a very moving story and this man is really fortunate to have you as a friend.

Old 05-22-2007, 10:33 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,585,608 times
No, I doubt I have ever converted anyone. Guess thats because I have never tried. Too many people have tried to convert me to their way of thinking or their particular denomination and all they did was slow down my own search for the truth about God and the teachings and the "proper way to serve the Lord. I can read the bible and interpret it the way the Lord wants me to for myself . I very seldom quote scripture (although I did this morning), because it usually starts an arguement on interpretation. I don't dislike people who do try to convert people, some are successful, but on the other hand some are overzealous and may turn the seeker into a nonbeliever.

Old 05-22-2007, 07:09 PM

2,800 posts, read 10,028,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
kawg, that was a very moving story and this man is really fortunate to have you as a friend.
Other than my previous post, I'm not really sure about "converting" people. It's kind of one thing to lead someone to Christ that is a NON-Believer, but conversion? Hmmmmmmm
If you're talking simply leading someone that is "lost" into the path of Christianity...I'm all for it. But to convert someone from a different faith that leaves me kind of
Of course, ALL of us CHRISTIANS would absolutely LOVE to be able to convert at least a couple of you Atheists Just kidding...don't beat me up

Old 05-22-2007, 08:16 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,482,964 times
I am guilty of this. However it was not my intent. I worked with a guy who was Roman Catholic. While talking one day religion came up. He asked me to go to church with him. I told him sure if he promised to look at other religions with an open mind for just 1 week. See he was a DEVOTED R.C. like if you where not you would burn in hell type. Anyway I kept my part of the deal. And so did he. With 4 or 5 Phone calls throughout the week with questions. He read up on others as well. Which he had never done. Anyway long story short, he became a Baptist about 6 months later. No Not my Religion. But I am Glad he found one he agreed with and liked. Not just one he new and was raised with.

Old 05-23-2007, 02:54 PM

2,800 posts, read 10,028,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhyrnut View Post
I am guilty of this. However it was not my intent. I worked with a guy who was Roman Catholic. While talking one day religion came up. He asked me to go to church with him. I told him sure if he promised to look at other religions with an open mind for just 1 week. See he was a DEVOTED R.C. like if you where not you would burn in hell type. Anyway I kept my part of the deal. And so did he. With 4 or 5 Phone calls throughout the week with questions. He read up on others as well. Which he had never done. Anyway long story short, he became a Baptist about 6 months later. No Not my Religion. But I am Glad he found one he agreed with and liked. Not just one he new and was raised with.
Hey, that's great! It doesn't sound like you forced it down his throat or "preached" conversion to him. The two of you made a deal, held up each end of it and HE learned something and made a choice. Maybe you had a little influence, but the ultimate choice was his own

Old 05-23-2007, 03:16 PM

646 posts, read 1,613,276 times
I am embarrassed to admit that when I was a teenager, and a devout catholic, I did. The person I helped to convert became some sort of Pentacostal. It does sadden me to think that I helped to screw up some poor kids life. I have not spoken to this guy in 25 years, but I hope that the religion thing did not take.

Old 05-23-2007, 03:23 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,315,988 times
My husband.

Old 05-23-2007, 03:46 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,585,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch00 View Post
I am embarrassed to admit that when I was a teenager, and a devout catholic, I did. The person I helped to convert became some sort of Pentacostal. It does sadden me to think that I helped to screw up some poor kids life. I have not spoken to this guy in 25 years, but I hope that the religion thing did not take.
Stretch, I may have seen that guy at the church down the road Sunday night. It was a warm night and the doors were wide open and I couldn't help hearing all the praising and dancing going on. There was one fella there so caught up in the spirit all I could understand was "Amen , thank you Jesus for stretch" Just having some fun with you

Last edited by Miss Blue; 05-23-2007 at 03:49 PM.. Reason: spell

Old 05-23-2007, 04:06 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,315,442 times
I have a friend who was Pagan...I had lost contact with her for almost 15 years and then she found me on myspace.

Well in the meantime she married a really great guy who is christian, his parents are Messionic Jews...

Well it seems that she has been sort of hiding what her true beliefs are. She has gone to church with her husband but no longer goes because its not for her. She clearly believes in the dual gods, the female side and the male side.

Well I was not trying to convince her but her hearing me gaining independence from the religion I was brought up in has seemed to give her some courage to be more open about hers.

I am sure that part of it has been time, she is more comfortable in her marrage but we have talked alot. Its only been recently that I sort of came out about how I really feel so its been nice to have someone to talk to who is openminded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality