Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 01:58 PM

16 posts, read 20,285 times

Advertisements

A new mega church was built near my home so my family all went to check it out on Christmas Eve. I grew up in the Lutheran Church but have not been active of late. Being a Lutheran it made me used to a formal service that was very traditional.

The Church we attended on Christmas Eve is very popular with the yuppies in town. Almost everyone was white in a very ethnically diverse community. Something must be working for them because the parking lot was jammed and there were few empty seats and they had five services on Christmas Eve.

The services started with a very loud rock band playing rock versions of Christmas songs. My ears were ringing because the volume was so high. Finally after twenty minutes of loud rock music and screaming, they asked for money and then a minister in jeans came out and told all kinds of football stories before finally mentioning Jesus.

I was happy when the service finally ended. I can not believe what I just heard. Is this the new church service?

Last edited by White Collar Worker; 12-29-2009 at 02:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 02:03 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,826,985 times
It's their attempt to "connect" to the younger generation and get new followers. Funny, most of them see straight through it and church attendance continues to fall.

Here's an interesting essay that puts it out in plain English...

Talking to Generation X | First Things

Old 12-29-2009, 06:51 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,738,345 times
nothing like some hells bells to get you jumping in the morning
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3n0pMKV-1I

Old 12-30-2009, 05:46 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
My niece called this one "Jesus on Ice"!

Wonderland - A Christmas Eve Experience | New Life Church

This year, the Christmas Eve Services at New Life Church will feature the "Best of Wonderland." We will have Ice skating, fountains, dancing, carols, and candle lighting.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 12-30-2009 at 05:47 PM.. Reason: Add ice skating

Old 12-30-2009, 11:24 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,436,083 times
Well I would say that most of the people who attend that type of church wouldn't attend church at all if they had to go to a more 'conventional' church.....so I suppose it has its place.To each his own.....

Old 12-30-2009, 11:45 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,869,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Collar Worker View Post
A new mega church was built near my home so my family all went to check it out on Christmas Eve. I grew up in the Lutheran Church but have not been active of late. Being a Lutheran it made me used to a formal service that was very traditional.

The Church we attended on Christmas Eve is very popular with the yuppies in town. Almost everyone was white in a very ethnically diverse community. Something must be working for them because the parking lot was jammed and there were few empty seats and they had five services on Christmas Eve.

The services started with a very loud rock band playing rock versions of Christmas songs. My ears were ringing because the volume was so high. Finally after twenty minutes of loud rock music and screaming, they asked for money and then a minister in jeans came out and told all kinds of football stories before finally mentioning Jesus.

I was happy when the service finally ended. I can not believe what I just heard. Is this the new church service?
In their heart of hearts, all sorts of people worship all sorts of differing things.

Old 12-31-2009, 12:10 AM

478 posts, read 773,812 times
Hmmm, that is strange, and interesting, especially on a Xmas eve service. ?!? While I have to say I'm a big fan of loud music, and usually am one to say "the heavier and louder the better", I think I'd be kinda freaked out too at that service! Maybe it's just me, but if I go to church on xmas eve, I want to hear all the christmas hyms I've been hearing since I was a little girl, with the candlelight service and all. It's about comfort, tradition and nostalgia- at least for me- on a night like Xmas eve. If I want rock and roll I'll go to a bar and at least get to have a beer and a smoke while I listen to it...

Now you did use the words "mega church" and "popular with yuppies" when describing this place of worship...I'd say those are some big red flags right there- ones that you'll hopefully remember to avoid in the future!

At any rate it's nice that you seem to be light hearted about the situation- at least you were with family and that's what matters.

Old 12-31-2009, 05:00 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,441,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Collar Worker View Post

That is how alot of men get people into their churches. It is not the way it should be. They are appealing to the people and not to God.

Go to a bible believing church that you feel comfortable in. Don't go to this church if you are not being feed with the word of God.

Old 12-31-2009, 09:03 AM

1,667 posts, read 4,369,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
My niece called this one "Jesus on Ice"!

Wonderland - A Christmas Eve Experience | New Life Church

This year, the Christmas Eve Services at New Life Church will feature the "Best of Wonderland." We will have Ice skating, fountains, dancing, carols, and candle lighting.
Isn't that Ted Haggard's old stomping ground...?

Old 12-31-2009, 02:43 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imbobbbb View Post
Well I would say that most of the people who attend that type of church wouldn't attend church at all if they had to go to a more 'conventional' church.....so I suppose it has its place.To each his own.....
You know, I never thought of it that way until you posted this. You're right; the Lord works in mysterious ways!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuffler View Post
Isn't that Ted Haggard's old stomping ground...?
Yes, and Focus on the Family (Dobson), and many others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality