Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 08:22 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,928,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virote View Post
I was hoping to find out if and why other religious folk felt this way. I don't see how role play games or even star wars could possibly harm a child.
Well, while I don't think you can answer this across the board, it would look something like this.

Santa, Easter bunny, The Force, Halo, Jesus, Tooth Fairy, and whatever else you want to throw in there is real until you're 7-10 and then, BOOM, none of it's real but One.

That's tough for a kid to differentiate.

I know you guys are older than that, but that's PART of the issue.

The other part is, if you are a believer and I'm assuming you are, just exactly how do you think the devil gets access to us? One big BOOM and then he's influencing us? Or do you think he'd take our defenses down one small piece at a time until we were OK with it.

Look, even in these posts I see that this game has already been used by the devil.

As a result of this game, you are questioning your pastors authority and it's driven a rift in your youth group.

Now granted a part of that was because of your pastors response, but still, the damage and hence, the danger, has already been manifested.

Do you see that at all or am I just not making sense?

I'm not judging you. I'm sure you guys like the game and there probably isn't a spiritual aspect of it. It's just not a big deal. Can't you guys play at home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2007, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac View Post
Yes, I am 15. What do you mean when you say "someone in a position of authority made a decision" on what?
His pastor made a decision about this situation and I'm sure LDS would tell a youth to honor that decision.

That's what I meant. The pastor is the one I meant that was in authority. Sorry, that was a bit vague.

Old 05-15-2007, 08:26 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,770,709 times
i used to read choose your own adventure books and I am a huge Stars Wars fan, still have the original Millenuim Falcom from 78 or 79, I forget, anyway, my thoughts here are that your parents may be okay with it, but still the youth leader is an authority figure, and if he asked for something not to be done, Im sure he has his reasons, ask him and Im sure he will tell you, just as I would.

Old 05-15-2007, 08:46 PM

253 posts, read 642,208 times
Well, there's no doubt that if the youth leader asks them to stop and they continue then it's wrong, but that's simply a matter of respect, it has nothing to do with role-playing games being Satanic

Old 05-15-2007, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac View Post
Well, there's no doubt that if the youth leader asks them to stop and they continue then it's wrong, but that's simply a matter of respect, it has nothing to do with role-playing games being Satanic
I never said it was satanic. It could have been jelly beans and, under the same circumstances, the devil could have used them to harm this group.

Old 05-15-2007, 08:55 PM

253 posts, read 642,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
I never said it was satanic. It could have been jelly beans and, under the same circumstances, the devil could have used them to harm this group.
Oh, no, I understand what you are saying. Anything that gets them to question. I am just saying the circumstances under which I think it would be wrong.

Old 05-16-2007, 12:06 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,497,052 times
As far as the OP goes: I have to agree with Alpha that they didn't obey the authority figure. That's a problem. Probably moreso with parenting than anything, but then again they are just kids. It happens.

As for video games. I do not believe they are satan's work, regardless of the game. It's just good fun. Heck, 50 years ago Elvis was evil because he shook his hips on TV. Personally, I think part of becoming an adult is worrying TOO much over the new technologies that come out and how it may dement your children.

On the same note, I also believe it is the responsibility of parents to enforce values of common sense and decency both towards other people and especially towards their elders and authority figures.

It's just a fine line that parent's have to tread and sometimes it's hard to find a happy medium.

Old 05-16-2007, 05:46 PM

267 posts, read 534,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Well, while I don't think you can answer this across the board, it would look something like this.

Santa, Easter bunny, The Force, Halo, Jesus, Tooth Fairy, and whatever else you want to throw in there is real until you're 7-10 and then, BOOM, none of it's real but One.

That's tough for a kid to differentiate.

I know you guys are older than that, but that's PART of the issue.

The other part is, if you are a believer and I'm assuming you are, just exactly how do you think the devil gets access to us? One big BOOM and then he's influencing us? Or do you think he'd take our defenses down one small piece at a time until we were OK with it.

Look, even in these posts I see that this game has already been used by the devil.

As a result of this game, you are questioning your pastors authority and it's driven a rift in your youth group.

Now granted a part of that was because of your pastors response, but still, the damage and hence, the danger, has already been manifested.

Do you see that at all or am I just not making sense?

I'm not judging you. I'm sure you guys like the game and there probably isn't a spiritual aspect of it. It's just not a big deal. Can't you guys play at home?
Or perhaps the devil used the pastor's unwarrented hate of role play games to scare away kids who attended said youth group at their parents wishes who might have started taking church seriously again, though that is a stretch because most of us myself included have had very bad church experiences. My mother's church for instance assumed I was gay based upon my hair and gave me a 'warm' welcome. I call things like that more the devils work than any role play game will ever be. It hardens the hearts against the church.

One bad encounter with a christian institution is enough to do that.

Old 05-16-2007, 05:48 PM

267 posts, read 534,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
As far as the OP goes: I have to agree with Alpha that they didn't obey the authority figure. That's a problem. Probably moreso with parenting than anything, but then again they are just kids. It happens.

As for video games. I do not believe they are satan's work, regardless of the game. It's just good fun. Heck, 50 years ago Elvis was evil because he shook his hips on TV. Personally, I think part of becoming an adult is worrying TOO much over the new technologies that come out and how it may dement your children.

On the same note, I also believe it is the responsibility of parents to enforce values of common sense and decency both towards other people and especially towards their elders and authority figures.

It's just a fine line that parent's have to tread and sometimes it's hard to find a happy medium.
They weren't given a chance to obey they were berrated and shunned. Under our old pastor this wouldn't have happened.

And that attack upon our parents is unwarrented, you know?

Old 05-16-2007, 06:04 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,678,195 times
Virote wrote:
Quote:
A bunch of my friends recently got kicked out of their youth group because the man in charge believes role play games are evil and the devil's work...
The problem is not some silly game or the kids playing it. It appears to be the "man in charge" as you called him who appears to have a problem distinguishing fantasy from reality. I don't think he should be in a position of authority and he appears to be a bad influence for children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality