Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 11:15 AM

73 posts, read 88,627 times

Advertisements

I know of many reasons, but sometimes when I think long and hard I just don't want them to be true. We have such a short time in this world and we spend so much of our time arguing with others. Religious conflict takes the place of where love should be and after so many years the struggle still continues today. Will it ever stop? I do not know but I just know in my heart that no matter what muhammad, jesus, jehovah, buddha, or any other religion in our time claims love should overtake it all. We should go back to the simple things, like just caring about others, cherishing the few brothers we may has, and holding the good times close to us as each breath we take could be our last. Some may shut me down and say I must choose a scripture to follow, but I believe that true morality exists beyond what is written, it exists inside of me and always have. I believe it exists in us all and that we just have to rise above and open our eyes. I do not agree with labels, and I will always respect the man who will look me in the eye and tell me the truth, and who has love in his heart.

Just some thoughts, I just know there has to be more in this life than what so many claim, it just shouldn't matter where you are from, how you were raised, or which culture you hold dear. Can't we all just finally put our religious differences behind us so that all of our brothers have not died in vain? Will it continue forever or will the time come? If not in my life I hope it will eventually, I truly do...

No matter what you say, peace and love to you all. And I truly mean that from the bottom of my heart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2009, 12:00 PM

2,332 posts, read 2,839,033 times
BBok; the truth which I know inside myself is somehow Absolute and common for all over the subject of the Heart, and also the subject of the law of using oneself for and against the natural world, is the truth about all of US wanting their own interpretably different ways. The opinions we express are the opinions demanded at an arbitrary moment of common Knowing, and the opinions we have for our childhood's trust in God and the beauty of ordinary experience are inappropriately hid in ourselves needing to be listened to.

The irony is that all the opinions for knowledge and truth for aiding one another for such actions as when and for what reasons it is important to get somewhere by automobile, or responding to theories about how we help in certain situations to getting up for one's friends are truly the ideas that we are encouraged to get in touch with each other about.

Old 11-07-2009, 12:01 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,699,699 times
If it wasn't for that damn forbidden fruit...

Old 11-07-2009, 12:14 PM

2,065 posts, read 2,160,852 times
The reason why people don't get along is because of the simple fact that we are all born with natural love and that love can be as unsturdy as walking on quicksand.

I apologize for being a broken record, but there is only one love that is built on a rock solid foundation... a love, that when it is ours, becomes stronger and stronger over time as it is received in our souls... and that is God's Divine Love.

So you see, there are two loves... one natural that we are born with and the other divine, which we are not, and this only comes from God.

As long as people wrestle with the natural love, we will just keep experiencing the same thing... wash, rinse, repeat.

However, if someone dare talk to God and actually pray for His Love, they will experience a change in their attitudes and character... and, obviously, the more people on earth who participate in this exercise, the better off this world will be.

Bar that and people do nothing... well, we will continue to live the way it's always been.

Old 11-07-2009, 01:24 PM

4,323 posts, read 6,022,674 times
Too many people like to look at the outside of each other instead of what's inside. In the very heart of every human is a need for love. Any love that is greater than what they know to be true. So, with the love that we are born with, we are faulty in our assumtions of others. We choose to look at what we can see instead of what we can't. When we do look at the heart of another, we will see how they have come to be the person they are. What trials and errors drew them to be who they are. Those of us who have no knowledge of God and the attributes that can be bestowed upon us with Divine Love can never know how great another is without judgement or hatred or a love that is unconditional. Natural love is conditional.

We can fix all of that through a more powerful Love. Divine Love of God. This Love is unconditional and is no respector of any persons. Any religion or belief set can participate without giving up a current belief or religion. Truth will come once you start praying for It. Real Truth and not made up truth that is just an idea. Each of us are the piece to a very big puzzle and when we all acquire Divine Love to it's fullest, we will then see the picture. Until then, we will struggle and be negative towards each other. When more people than not get tired of the same old BS, the world will become a place of beauty and goodness. If peace is what we strive for then wouldn't it make sense that everyone want to bring it on in the best possible way even if that way seems a little out there? Wouldn't we all want to try a different angle and try love for once instead of hatred and start wars that never bring peace but sorrow? Wouldn't we all want what is best for our family and friends through love and let the anger disappear? Wouldn't it be better if our enemies became our friends instead of keeping that hatred on simmer? Our hearts would be lighter and we would know peace. Love is the Key to Heaven and if we want to see Heaven on Earth, shouldn't we at least give Love a chance even if it's an unheard of, outrageous Love? What do you have to lose? It's absolutely free and no strings are attached.

Old 11-07-2009, 02:07 PM

4,498 posts, read 6,314,687 times
I think that religious differences will occur while there is still religion. That should not preclude a belief in some form of spirituality, I just think that religion itself is detrimental to society.

Old 11-08-2009, 01:08 AM

1,628 posts, read 4,038,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbok23 View Post
Can't we all just finally put our religious differences behind us so that all of our brothers have not died in vain? Will it continue forever or will the time come? If not in my life I hope it will eventually, I truly do...
As soon as the christians quit trying to legislate their morality on me, I will gladly let them live their way.

Old 11-08-2009, 01:17 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,391,501 times
good post but few look for truth.
the 3 great adamants of error
self will
self love
self justification

Old 11-08-2009, 02:51 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,616,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbok23 View Post
I believe it exists in us all and that we just have to rise above and open our eyes. I do not agree with labels, and I will always respect the man who will look me in the eye and tell me the truth, and who has love in his heart.

Just some thoughts, I just know there has to be more in this life than what so many claim, it just shouldn't matter where you are from, how you were raised, or which culture you hold dear. Can't we all just finally put our religious differences behind us so that all of our brothers have not died in vain? Will it continue forever or will the time come? If not in my life I hope it will eventually, I truly do...
It will happen, I don't know when, but it will happen. I have personally seen long standing hate and animosity and prejudice which seemed unchangable dissolve into forgiveness and love.

One of the most moving things I've ever witnessed is when my former pastor (Mississippi born and raised) apologized to his predominately Hispanic congregation (here in San Antonio TX) for viewing them as 'labor class' and lesser than 'regular' Americans. Many tears were shed that day (on all sides) it was an amazing thing.

I am hard on religion - almost as hard as an atheist but I can also see that it's all about what you do with religion or atheism or any other belief/non-belief that counts. Like a power tool which can be used to build a house or to commit murder.

As a white male in Texas I was raised with the racial tensions of the 60's with some immediate family who were openly/adamantly/proudly racist and anti-minority. But in Sunday school us pre-k's would sing "Red and yellow black and white - they are precious in His sight" and something resonated there and I realized "All people are the same".

When I also realized what was going on with the racism I was incredulous. At about 8 years old (!) I took a stand and told some racist white grown ups who were ranting and raving about all the dumb "Mexicans" that I had "Mexican" (that's what we used to call Hispanic) friends who were smarter than any of them

As a theist I will have to admit that some creeds can be the biggest enemy of humans moving forward. Intolorant fundementalism is probably the biggest obstacle along with plain old hard headedness.

I appreciate what you say about labels but again, I think it's how they are used that matters. I'm more of a "unity through diversity" guy than a "drop all the labels" guy. Of course certain labels (those which serve do dehumanize others) are useless.

Now that we actually have the technology to blow the whole thing up it's more important than ever to get this thing right.

Old 11-08-2009, 03:08 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,616,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalAngel2009 View Post
So you see, there are two loves... one natural that we are born with and the other divine, which we are not, and this only comes from God.

As long as people wrestle with the natural love, we will just keep experiencing the same thing... wash, rinse, repeat.

However, if someone dare talk to God and actually pray for His Love, they will experience a change in their attitudes and character... and, obviously, the more people on earth who participate in this exercise, the better off this world will be.

Bar that and people do nothing... well, we will continue to live the way it's always been.
But yet I have known atheists with great selfless love, even willing to die for another - which Jesus said was the greatest love of all. Going to my above post - it seems like more of a heart thing and what you do with it than what you call it. I have known proud arrogant self-righteous believers and proud arrogant self-righteous atheists. I have known humble/loving/giving believers and humble/loving/giving atheists.

As a 'born again' believer my original tendency was to want everyone to get what I got, the way I got it. I even went door to door 'sharing' for many many years. You know what? The most fruitful activities of all were not the 'outreaches' or the 'ministries' or the 'conversions' (there weren't many conversions LoL) but the friendships and the struggles I faced together with other people. The times I had an opportunity to help someone in a real/practical way or received help in a real/practical way.

I am not disagreeing at all with your advice to "talk to God" but I also think it's REAL important to see God outside of religion and even outside of the supernatural.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality