Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 08:13 AM

1,761 posts, read 1,716,916 times

Advertisements

We humans are kind of a funny lot. I remember from one of my psychology classes in college about the fact that most (or at least many) people spend more time attempting to validate their choices after they make a decision then they do before they actually make the decision. It's called "validation" and it's just our ego wanting and needing constant and continually to make us feel good about our earlier decisions and to defend them against all other possibilities and/or choices that we could have made at that earlier time.

So, this seems to apply here. If you're comfortable with your decisions in life you don't usually feel the need to convince everyone else about your "superior" choice. You just accept that others make different choices and as long as they don't in any major way affect you, you're OK with that.

Conversly, the less comfortable you are with your choice, the more you feel the need to "validate" your choice by defending it to the Nth degree to all others who have made different choices. The only way you can feel good (and comfortable) about your choice is to see if you can get others to make the same choice....therefore validating your own choice.

Does this make sense to anyone else ? It's absolutely the first think I thought of when I read this post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2009, 08:25 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,422,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper1372 View Post
We humans are kind of a funny lot. I remember from one of my psychology classes in college about the fact that most (or at least many) people spend more time attempting to validate their choices after they make a decision then they do before they actually make the decision. It's called "validation" and it's just our ego wanting and needing constant and continually to make us feel good about our earlier decisions and to defend them against all other possibilities and/or choices that we could have made at that earlier time.

So, this seems to apply here. If you're comfortable with your decisions in life you don't usually feel the need to convince everyone else about your "superior" choice. You just accept that others make different choices and as long as they don't in any major way affect you, you're OK with that.

Conversly, the less comfortable you are with your choice, the more you feel the need to "validate" your choice by defending it to the Nth degree to all others who have made different choices. The only way you can feel good (and comfortable) about your choice is to see if you can get others to make the same choice....therefore validating your own choice.

Does this make sense to anyone else ? It's absolutely the first think I thought of when I read this post.
I think the "non-believers" have a little more to worry about.

Show me the history that shows where Atheists killed religious peoples.

I can show you COUNTLESS examples of where religious people have killed Atheists, and members of other religious groups, men, women, children, on scales that are only rivaled in bible stories.

Old 10-04-2009, 08:27 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,247,244 times
Originally Posted by jasper1372
Quote:

Yep, I just call it insecurity.

Old 10-04-2009, 08:31 AM

1,301 posts, read 2,112,574 times
When it comes to a certain sect of believers, I don't think we can get beyond it. I'm talking about the onward Christian solider bunch, of course, who think their beliefs are good for everyone else, whether they like it or not.

I've never had a Native America, Pagan, Jew, Hindu, Buddhist, spiritualist and whatever else you can think of try to force their beliefs on me. I do think it's possible for atheist and other religious people to get along, even though we may not agree on certain things.

Personally, I don't care if someone wants to build a statue of Xena The Warrior Princess in their front yard and sacrifice chickens to it everyday, so long as they aren't bothering anyone.

Old 10-04-2009, 08:58 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,526,998 times
once more:
the op used the word "conquering". what does that mean to any individual?
do i find words to describe what i feel?
do i just somehow act like driven?
do i simply withdraw, waiting for this fear to go away?
do i turn to religion and/or philosophy to explain what it is?

"fear not!" how the heck ....?

Old 10-04-2009, 01:01 PM

4,346 posts, read 6,625,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
If ya ask me, people only act irrational because they realize that they aren't in control of the situation, so it is more of a control issue.
Good observation.

Old 10-04-2009, 01:17 PM

4,511 posts, read 7,526,998 times
^further observation: weren't we supposed to embrace the unknown?
either embraced or conquered, it seemed not too friendly, and our memories have stored such information.

Old 10-04-2009, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper1372 View Post

At first I thought it was a typo - but I'll be using that phrase "the first think I thought of" from now on

I'm sure there's truth in what you are saying.

Also, in fundamentalist versions of systems like Islam or Christianity the followers believe they are ordered by God to tell everyone they should make the same choice or face very unpleasant eternal consequences. That's a fairly intense concept to live under (understatement ). I preached for many years and I did encourage folks to discover that there was more to life than just the surface experience (ie: God) but that's a lot different than being afraid that my failure to convert would cause eternal damnation!

Old 10-04-2009, 02:50 PM

18 posts, read 29,457 times
I've no love for fear, and I find it utterly useless...

I have also found that fear comes from a lack of understanding, such as a kid (Like one of my cousins) who used to fear vacuum cleaners. As years went on he realized that a vacuum cleaner was just a cleaning tool, and not an evil monster that wanted to cause him harm. Much like I used to fear spiders because I thought that they just randomly ran around and bit people. I then began to learn that spiders only attack when threatened, like most every other creature in existence, then I understood them and no longer feared them.

Fear to me as never been a necessary nor a particularly advantageous feeling, and I do not believe it is natural. I believe it is taught, mostly as children.

When I was a child I feared nothing, though as my parents needed a way to keep me in line... I was taught fear.

I shouldn't do this because it will harm me, I shouldn't do this because it is not the best choice. Slowly fear finally got a hold of me and it took a long time to dispell it.

Now I base everything off of understanding, and I've no fear left really. Instead of fearing things, I try to decode and solve them. Without fear, much MUCH more is possible than with it.

Old 10-04-2009, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die to win, born to lose View Post
I've no love for fear, and I find it utterly useless...
We're pretty much on the same page here. Of course naturalists can make the case that the basic fight or flight instinct is key to survival. I'd like to believe that even though those animal instincts do exist within us we do not need to be controlled by them any longer.

Aren't we ready to move on?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality