Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 12:28 AM

8,825 posts, read 7,354,190 times

Advertisements

why do we need a list of sins? I know without looking at a reference/list what's right or wrong. I found that most disturbing when I was a teenager, how we were treated like idiots ...some things just FEEL wrong so you don't do them....plus you live and learn from past wrongs by watching others and yourself throughout life
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 12:31 AM

4,904 posts, read 6,036,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplex View Post
You mean the law that tells me to stone disobedient children?
Christians will say that this doesn't apply anymore, although what that really means is that sins that don't work for them conveniently don't apply anymore, while the sins that do work for them are the sins that apply today. This is all nonsense though. The problem is that Christians cherrypick which sins they will and won't follow based on what their given culture says is right and wrong. They say that things like beating your children and slavery are sins even though their own bible advocates such behavior. Another interesting fact is that 66% of Americans are overweight and 75% are christians. One of the seven deadly sins is gluttony, yet you conveniently never hear condemnation of people who are overweight yet something like the 'terrible sin' of homosexuality is thought of as a vile immoral behavior because it's a 'sin.' Sin is really just something religious people use to justify personal biases.

Old 09-16-2009, 01:45 AM

1,248 posts, read 1,262,640 times
Sin, was inevitable dew to being in the likeness of the Creator.
Having knowledge of good and evil, we can then make choices, meaning we have a will.

That will comes into opposition to the Creator for there can be but only one will, that being the will of God.

Because we do come into opposition to the will of God, one should die, and the one dying is the lesser god: us.

We are as like gods, the book of Genesis says, and also what Jesus said. "Ye are gods".

So then, we become lost, meaning as if, we had never being born or to have never existed.

Every child born is born with that same curse, whether Muslim, Jew and or Christian.

That means only God can save us all regardless of who or what we are.

Blessings, AJ

Old 09-16-2009, 04:01 AM

5,420 posts, read 6,529,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post

I'm not sure how serious you are in wanting a list or if this is even the proper use of Scripture. (Isolating Bible verses this way is just so...not my way)

I'm serious, I would like to know what is held out to be a sin.

Is it a sin if you don't keep the sabbath, as the 10 commandments say?

Old 09-16-2009, 04:33 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,454,003 times
"Sin" is an archery term which means "to miss the mark". In archery how far from the mark you were was how great you sinned. This word works well for the actions we take which are called sins. God gave commandments. How far we stray from God's word is how far we have sinned. However, any sin without repentance is all that is required for one to end up in hell. And because of being born from seed of Adam, all have sinned in Adam. Adam contained all of the human race in his being, and through his first sin, all have sinned. So all are born into sin. That innocent baby is born into sin. Being unlearned or uneducated or unable to comprehend sin does not make one exempt from it.

So, what things can we do to cause us to sin? If we disobey the ten commandments for a start. This includes lying, stealing, killing, coveting (wanting something so bad of your neighbors that you will do anything to get it), committing adultry (that is having sex with anyone (or anything) you are not married to, and a marriage is a union of one male and one female only), Being disobedient to your parrents, Bearing false witness (lying about what another person has done), Not keeping the sabath day (just not resting on the seventh day of the week), Loving the Lord God. Further Jesus (who is God) modified the commandments saying if you even lust for a woman in your heart you have already committed adultry with her.

There are things that are not sins, but can lead us to sin. Cain did not follow the example of a good sacrifice to God as his brother Able did. He did not sin by offering the fruit of the ground to God, God just did not accept it. However, Cain used this to become angry with his brother and he slew him. God said to Cain, "If thou doest well, shalt thou not be accepted? and if thou doest not well, sin lieth at the door. And unto thee shall be his desire, and thou shalt rule over him." (Gen 4:7) So, if we do something that is unacceptable, we should not be upset, but rather correct what we have done.

Old 09-16-2009, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
I'm serious, I would like to know what is held out to be a sin.

Is it a sin if you don't keep the sabbath, as the 10 commandments say?
Yes, it is a sin to not keep the sabbath. This is not an arguement as to what day of the week is the sabbath, it is rather that we set aside one day of the week to rest. We do this because we follow God example, that he rest from his work (creation). Not that God needed to rest, but man needs to rest and God set the example for us to follow. Jesus did say that the sabath was created for man, not man for the sabbath.

To rest means "to sit still". I do not think that we have to sit still all day on the sabbath, but we must be still from our work. I think that if you do something that is restful for you, then that is OK. Some woman love to shop and feel relaxed after going to the mall. If that is the case, I suggest they spend some time shopping on Sunday. Some men relax by going out and working on their car. I suggest that they spend some time doing this on Sunday. However, I think that some moderation is good. And the bible says for us Christians to not forget the gathering together of ourselves. That is go to Church, tithe, visit with others a little. But also don't forget to rest, sit still a little on Sunday, not just in front of the T.V., but in quiet contemplating the greatness of God.

Old 09-16-2009, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplex View Post
You mean the law that tells me to stone disobedient children?
Not innocent babies like an abortion, or small children, but rather full grown Children who don't work and a sluggards and alcholic drunks.

It says in Deut. 21:18: If a man have a stubborn and rebellious son, which will not obey the voice of his father, or the voice of his mother, and that, when they have chastened him, will not hearken unto them:
19: Then shall his father and his mother lay hold on him, and bring him out unto the elders of his city, and unto the gate of his place;
20: And they shall say unto the elders of his city, This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton, and a drunkard.
21: And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die: so shalt thou put evil away from among you; and all Israel shall hear, and fear.

The son in this case is an adult, who is disobeying his parrents (that is he is sinning), further he is stubborn, rebellious, disobedient, a glutton, and a drunkard. So, the elders of the city (today a judge and jury) will judge him and put him to death if found guilty of the charges against him. The parrents if they have lied about their son, have sinned by bearing false witness and should in turn have to be stoned.

Old 09-16-2009, 05:16 AM

50,148 posts, read 20,955,943 times
Thanks Nikk. Now we all know what Sin is. It is a list of rules given to Moses and revised to suit the gentiles, including changing the day of the Sabbath and reinterpreting the graven images to mean any graven images other than Christian ones.

Remember folks, if you observe these then you are not sinful.

Uhh. well, actually you are because Sin is endemic. Adam sinned and so God is blaming every last one of us for that and that's why we don't live for ever.

So the deal is that we can't be saved from Sin by not sinning, but we can become more sinful by sinning...no, that doesn't make sense. Sin is sin and more sin is not going to make it worse.

No it's that this sin can only be got rid of by repentance...we have to say we're really sorry for what God did to us and we'll never, never do it again. Then we are forgiven our sin.

Uhhh..no. Not unless we accept Jesus Christ as our Saviour or even Savior (though that sounds like a commercial condiment to me) and believe that he is the Son of God and rose from the dead. Yep. I think those are the things that you must believe into to be relieved of this sin.

But I'm sure that Nikk can say whether there's anything I missed out.

Old 09-16-2009, 05:54 AM

124 posts, read 334,557 times
NIKK...WHERE in the bible does it say that marriage is between 1 man and 1 woman only?! Why are there no Old Testament examples of this?! (And the scriptures about the office of a bishop do not count.) Adam and Eve don't count either. They were NOT given rules about sex. Only about the tree and eating the fruit. It stands to reason that there was no marriage at that time. Adam was probably doing his own daughters since there was no moral law laid down.

Old 09-16-2009, 06:19 AM

13,774 posts, read 26,658,953 times
Jesus's discussion with the Sadducees implies monogamous marriage. Mark 10 and Ephesians 5 indicate one-man/one-woman marriage.

"But from the beginning of the creation, God made them male and female. For this cause, a man shall leave his father and mother and shall cleave to his wife. And they two shall be in one flesh. Therefore now they are not two, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let no man put asunder. And in the house again his disciples asked him concerning the same thing. And he saith to them: Whosoever shall put away his wife and marry another committeth adultery against her. And if the wife shall put away her husband and be married to another, she committeth adultery." Mark 10:6-12
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality