Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 04:16 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,624,668 times

Advertisements

Do you as a Christian hold the belief that the Bible offers a definitive answer to every single issue that someone living in the twenty first century might encounter? When you consider the fact that the Bible is an ancient text that was written so long ago that there is still alot of disagreement regarding the time frame in which various books in the Bible were even written it makes you stop and think about how completely different the modern world would look to the authors who actually wrote the Bible and to realize that there are questions being addressed today that those authors could never have foreseen and one cannot read the Bible in search of an answer.
Scientific or medical procedures such as cloning, stem cell research, the ability to determine if a fetus will have a viable chance of survival, etc. are all the result of technology that is very new. It seems puzzling to me that many Christians really believe that they can determine the correct course of action for absolutely anything based on the writings of a book that's a couple thousand years old.
What I'm really getting at here is the fact that the Bible is a book that is locked in time, translated from earlier languages and written by multiple authors over a period of many years and yet it's being used as the ultimate guide to what is acceptable human behavior in modern times even though the authors were clueless about what would happen in the future.
How can an ancient book tell modern society if it's acceptable to have a heart transplant, a sex change operation, cosmetic surgery, what to do with someone who is brain dead but still alive, treatment for infertility, or any of the countless other issues that many people must address everyday in the modern world? In my opinion it can't and I think that Christians need a certain amount of flexability and realism to deal with any of these issues. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2009, 04:55 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,383,749 times
To Christians: Does The Bible Really Answer All Of Lifes Questions? Yes I truly believe it does. I believe for every problem or situation God has an answer. I don't believe it's outdated at all. The truth of the Bible transcends through time. I also believe God is very capable of keeping the Bible in tact. The Bible says don't worry about anything, but pray about everything, and that's what I do.

Old 08-29-2009, 05:12 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,576,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
To Christians: Does The Bible Really Answer All Of Lifes Questions? Yes I truly believe it does. I believe for every problem or situation God has an answer. I don't believe it's outdated at all. The truth of the Bible transcends through time. I also believe God is very capable of keeping the Bible in tact. The Bible says don't worry about anything, but pray about everything, and that's what I do.
Amen!!!

Old 08-29-2009, 05:29 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,624,668 times
Well, you guys know how I am! I have to analyze, study, and contemplate every possibility before I can commit to any point of view and even then I'm still open to new discoveries and whatever the future might hold.

Old 08-29-2009, 05:35 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,383,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Well, you guys know how I am! I have to analyze, study, and contemplate every possibility before I can commit to any point of view and even then I'm still open to new discoveries and whatever the future might hold.
Yea we know how you are Montana and we love ya

Old 08-29-2009, 07:30 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Do you as a Christian hold the belief that the Bible offers a definitive answer to every single issue that someone living in the twenty first century might encounter? When you consider the fact that the Bible is an ancient text that was written so long ago that there is still alot of disagreement regarding the time frame in which various books in the Bible were even written it makes you stop and think about how completely different the modern world would look to the authors who actually wrote the Bible and to realize that there are questions being addressed today that those authors could never have foreseen and one cannot read the Bible in search of an answer.
Scientific or medical procedures such as cloning, stem cell research, the ability to determine if a fetus will have a viable chance of survival, etc. are all the result of technology that is very new. It seems puzzling to me that many Christians really believe that they can determine the correct course of action for absolutely anything based on the writings of a book that's a couple thousand years old.
What I'm really getting at here is the fact that the Bible is a book that is locked in time, translated from earlier languages and written by multiple authors over a period of many years and yet it's being used as the ultimate guide to what is acceptable human behavior in modern times even though the authors were clueless about what would happen in the future.
How can an ancient book tell modern society if it's acceptable to have a heart transplant, a sex change operation, cosmetic surgery, what to do with someone who is brain dead but still alive, treatment for infertility, or any of the countless other issues that many people must address everyday in the modern world? In my opinion it can't and I think that Christians need a certain amount of flexability and realism to deal with any of these issues. What do you think?
Only the SPIRITUAL ones, Montana. NONE of the carnal/worldly issues are of any concern to God and the bible has nothing to offer with regard to them. It is a spiritual reference for the development of understanding of ourselves and others . . . and to give us a purpose and hope while here in this otherwise inscrutable existence. The carnality of humankind is so STRONG that they cannot help themselves but get confused and try to apply the spiritual guidance to worldly affairs and carnal matters. It is the curse of the human race.

Old 08-30-2009, 08:08 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,055,865 times
Two thoughts.

From what we see here, the majority of xians could have their favorite chapters and verses extracted and printed and would likely be thinner than a spiderman comic book. This would include genesis, creation & flood, the 10 commandments, the Levitical laws condemning gays, verses from the gospels that suggest the "immanent rapture", all the hell verses, quote mined to support their false beliefs in hell, bits and pieces of Paul's stuff depending on if you're Calvinist (predestination) or Armenian (free-will), Thessalonians Peter's one day is as a thousand years etc. and of course a heavily quote mined Revelation. That is about it.

The other aspect is Jesus' entire ministry took place outdoors except for a few minor temple appearances. In Acts it seems that the folk did not gather in buildings but Paul seems to have managed to merge the temple worship of the Jews w/o the animal sacrifice bits quite quickly.

If we look at xianity today, its icons are cathedrals, temples and lavish building that serve no purpose apart from the "gathering of the saints" and is in direct contradiction to the admonishment by Jesus that the HS does not dwell in a temple made of hands. If the funds wasted on (conmen's) pastor's salaries and building expenses were diverted to assist the needy as suggested and demonstrated by Jesus, played out in the early church of acts, maybe folk would not have hang ups with xians, they would of course be walking the talk instead of talking the walk. One would not be lambasted with chick tracts and questions of do you know Jesus et al, folk would notice their charitable deeds like the good Samaritan Jesus told a parable about and folk would (maybe) be drawn to these fictitious folk lifestyle IOW, we would see their fruits. JEsus said by their fruits you shall know them and when we look at the 99% of xians, their fruits suck.

As much as they like to espouse the goaties and sheepies judgment, little do they realize, if it were true, they, the xians, would all be the "I knew ye not" camp.

One wonders when Jesus managed to get money out of a fish's mouth to pay the temple tax, why is it that churches need bazaars and telethons to raise funds?

In acts, they sold everything and brought it and laid it at the apostles feet. This was then distributed according to each one's needs.I have yet to find a church or group of people that operate like this as xians, Muslims and Jews do it to some extent from what I have observed, but the xians, it is just one big "bless me klub" with a temple.

Perhaps the Amish are the closest thing to this but one does not see them posting here go figure.

Old 08-30-2009, 06:51 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,434,090 times
There are plenty of issues the bible doesnt address,and those it does address must be seen in the context of the times in which they were written.A good example would be some of the dietary restrictions,they made sense then because people didnt understand things like bacteria and parasites that we can now safely control through modern food handling,storage,and proper cooking.I also fail to understand why some are so fixated on certain issues today that the bible barely speaks about that have no real direct impact on their lives,like the gay fixation so many seem to have on this site.

Old 08-30-2009, 08:29 PM

3,580 posts, read 6,304,329 times
Quote:
As an atheists does evolution answer every single question that proves what you believe? Just like it puzzles you, it puzzles me that people put their trust in evolution and the big bang as some believe the world just exploted , yea right.

I once heard an atheists answer the question: Why do animals and humans only reproduce after their own kind. : He said: WE are still evolving and will continue to evolve. I wonder what will we evolve into next.

Old 08-30-2009, 09:28 PM

2,981 posts, read 5,456,566 times
Quote:
I think you don't know true world history.
The heart of fallen man has not changed since the fall, it is desperately wicked above all things -who can know it": because of that, man is devolved from his created beginning. God allowed it and caused it on purpose, to keep man/Adam from irrevocably corrupting the race, in league with fallen angels and demons and satans
There is no temptation that has come to any man/Adam person, that is not common to Adamkind, since the fall; and there is nothing new under the sun in any area of technology or medical procedures -or sin. Everything that is has already been before. Just because we were born after millennia of dark ages and technological setbacks in the western world does not mean that all that is in the world began with our own times and birth. We're late on the scene, and terrible devolved, and everything that is, today, and even more, has been done already.

The flood came because of messing with genetics and mixing the created kinds, unlawfully, and there is no new temptation to man that has not already been in the past.
And there is no such a thing as a "sex change" operation, as one cannot change their chromosomes, but one can mutilate the body in a make believe lie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality