Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 03:47 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,649,525 times

Advertisements

There are clearly a number of Christians at least in America and probably elsewhere who appear to feel quite alot of hostility towards atheists in general. It's been mentioned on this forum that Bush Sr. made some very harsh comments about atheists which doesn't seem like a dignified thing for an ex-President to say in a society that is supposed to be a place where people have the freedom of speech and to believe whatever they please. Even the rights of racists and members of hate groups are protected by our Constitution.
So let me ask this question. Do any of you who are Christians or members of any other faith feel personally threatened by atheists or that society as a whole is threatened? I'm not talking about being threatened with violence of course, I'm talking about the influence that atheists have as our numbers continue to rise and that many of us don't feel the need to hide our lack of belief from anyone. What this really comes down to is the fact that we're seeing a gradual change in attitudes regarding religious matters in society and there seem to be alot of people who don't like it.
Personally I don't want religious people to feel threatened by us and even though I'm an atheist I do believe in the freedom of thought which includes the right to be religious. I have always believed in pluralism and the idea of the melting pot in which people can all be Americans but still have the right to express their beliefs. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 04:47 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,019,338 times
Best of luck getting honest answers WHEN you do get them.

Old 08-28-2009, 05:12 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,590,468 times
I don't feel threatened by atheist,I wouldn't know one if I was walking down the street and passed by one. We all all come onto cyberspace and spill out who we are hidden only by a user name that people identify with over time. We as believers know about what the responses will be from atheists as well as atheists will know about the responses from believers. There are a lot of disagreements on the R\P Forum between believers and non-believers but most of the time it is kept civil. I find it somewhat interesting as to how people think whether it be Christian or atheist,I mean after all we are just people and God's people at that.

Old 08-28-2009, 05:15 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,701,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
I find it somewhat interesting as to how people think whether it be Christian or atheist,I mean after all we are just people and God's people at that.
Do you realize at all how arrogant and patronizing that sounds? You're telling us we're all "god's people" when you know damned well we don't believe in god. And yet so many of you get upset when we say we don't believe in your god.

Double standards, sheeple!

Old 08-28-2009, 05:16 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,448,272 times
Why should I feel threatened by an atheist?

Old 08-28-2009, 05:42 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,649,525 times
Mercury Cougar wrote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123
I find it somewhat interesting as to how people think whether it be Christian or atheist,I mean after all we are just people and God's people at that.

Do you realize at all how arrogant and patronizing that sounds?
I know that you and I are in agreement about our lack of religious beliefs but I just wanted to point out that I've been here for such a long time that I recognize certain individuals such as noland123 as a sincere person who is just saying what he believes and I am certain that there's no hostility or arrogance directed at either one of us. You and I think very much the same but once you get a feel for how others who are religious think about life in general you'll find the occasional person like noland who has no ill will for us. I only wish there were more Christians who had similar feelings. I could name dozens of Christians who are openly hostile to people like you and me on this forum (of course I won't). I'm just saying that my perception of noland123 is that he's a pretty decent guy and not the type of person that my OP is really directed to.

Old 08-28-2009, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Mercury Cougar wrote:

I know that you and I are in agreement about our lack of religious beliefs but I just wanted to point out that I've been here for such a long time that I recognize certain individuals such as noland123 as a sincere person who is just saying what he believes and I am certain that there's no hostility or arrogance directed at either one of us. You and I think very much the same but once you get a feel for how others who are religious think about life in general you'll find the occasional person like noland who has no ill will for us. I only wish there were more Christians who had similar feelings. I could name dozens of Christians who are openly hostile to people like you and me on this forum (of course I won't). I'm just saying that my perception of noland123 is that he's a pretty decent guy and not the type of person that my OP is really directed to.
Thank you MontanaGuy and I consider you a decent person too.

Old 08-28-2009, 05:57 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,701,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I'm just saying that my perception of noland123 is that he's a pretty decent guy and not the type of person that my OP is really directed to.
In that case, I retract my statement until I know noland better. I would love to believe I'm wrong; it's just very difficult not to react that way when one hears it again and again in an accusatory manner.

Anyway...noland, my apologies and I look forward to seeing more from you.

Old 08-28-2009, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
In that case, I retract my statement until I know noland better. I would love to believe I'm wrong; it's just very difficult not to react that way when one hears it again and again in an accusatory manner.

Anyway...noland, my apologies and I look forward to seeing more from you.
Apology accepted Mercury Cougar and hope to hear from you.

Thank You,

Perry

Old 08-28-2009, 06:14 PM

23,027 posts, read 34,439,792 times
I don't feel threatened at all. You're good people you atheist you

After all we Christians believe God is in control and you're no threat to us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality