Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 12:21 PM

421 posts, read 1,740,794 times

Advertisements

I agree, Shawn. The angel painting with the hair that looked like weird horns...what was that? They kept showing it, and I was wondering what their subliminal intent was. Or maybe I shouldn't wonder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2007, 01:42 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,141,829 times
Oh that painting was just freaky!!

Sarg. you are so right about the second. It was a lot more negative and biased. I thought that was a little interesting since what they talked about (modern mormonism as compared to some of the history) were more positive topics but they have such a knack for putting a negative slant on everything. Two things I also found rather interesting was how they brushed over the statement made by John Taylor (which BTW we could not find anywhere except on anti sites) leaving no context whatsoever. Well gee you could take just about any statement out of context and twist it to sound bad. The other thing was how they so adamantly and repeatedly enforced the idea that there was no physical or scientific evidence of the book of Mormon or the church in general whatsoever. I'm sure F.A.R.M.S. would have something to say about that one!

Old 05-03-2007, 01:52 PM

378 posts, read 1,905,509 times
I'll be the first one to say that some Mormons get freaked out any time an "outsider" questions the faith, but the imagery used made sacred events seem almost sinister.

My favorite part so far was the old guy with the glasses commenting about he could not believe the early "miracles" of the church (because it threw his Presb faith into question), but still seemed to think Joseph wasn't just making the whole thing up. I also liked the comment referencing all religions and the burden of proof that has been erased by thousands of years rather than a few hundred in the case of the Mormons.

I was glued to the TV the entire time...I have the other half DVR'd so I'll have to check it out over the weekend and return and report.

Old 05-03-2007, 03:27 PM

1,125 posts, read 3,524,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRunner View Post
I watched the doc. intending to gain a slight understanding of the LDS church, I came away even more confused.
Just what I feared, non-LDS have no way of filling in the blanks. If I weren't LDS and knew the entire story, I wouldn't have any way of understanding what was portrayed. Don’t misunderstand me; I don’t believe it was done maliciously. I believe it was done out of ignorance and the need to create an entertaining program.

Old 05-03-2007, 04:37 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,502,677 times
I love this thread and am learning so much, as is everyone. I have high regards for the Morman religion, as I do for all who have faith that God does exist. There are many ways to honor and praise God, and so much to learn from each other I pray that this thread can remain as kind and gentle as it is now

Old 05-03-2007, 05:13 PM

610 posts, read 3,319,034 times
Absolutely no way would I help anyone learn about Mormon beliefs. If you don't already have your own beliefs then, it's time to call in the missionaries. If you already have your own beliefs ... please ... hang on to them.

Old 05-04-2007, 11:16 AM

Ya thanks Rocky.
I totally agree Elder shawn that they seemed to make sacred things seem sinister. Like the temple for example. I think they went a bit too far there and it even made me a bit uncomfortable to watch. Some things just should not be shared with the world.
I imagine there's people out there just waiting to see something like that so that they have more ammuntion against us.

Old 05-04-2007, 01:22 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,905,724 times
Go to PBS.org they had a documentary of the entire ideology and history of mormanism on this week

Old 05-04-2007, 07:06 PM

pragmatic....but ok??????? What the heck is that supposed to mean??

Old 05-04-2007, 08:12 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,531,444 times
I was attending Haskell Indian Jr. College in the late 80's and the LDS church had a bldg. across the street from campus. A man there named Brother Jacob was the greatest friend and confidante I could ever imagine.

He never shoved the LDS beliefs at us, and had a unique personality that made you want to return his respectful ways with respect. We students always treated his family and bldg with great respect.

He took a few of us on a field trip to Kansas City to learn more on the faith. It was fascinating. I have great respect for the religion and beliefs of the LDS church due to this man.

Thank you, Elder Shawn for posting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality