Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 04:34 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,632,456 times

Advertisements

A comment made about Adam and Eve not realizing that they were naked prompted me to ask this question. When they ate from the tree of knowledge and were suddenly aware that they were both buck naked was that beginning of the invention of clothing? Do all of the fashion designers in New York, Paris and Milan owe a debt of gratitude to the sinful couple for creating a need for their product? I can just picture Eve putting together her first rather primitive frock from whatever material that was suitable. Of course since Adam lived to be 930 years old I would imagine that he gained a wealth of knowledge about clothing over all of those centuries. He probably started off with a few fig leaves and some vines to cover the offending parts of his anatomy but soon learned to sew and stitch together more complicated attire. I would imagine that in his later years Adam probably wore some smartly tailored suits while Eve had advanced to a wardrobe of stylish and sophisticated attire that was suited for any occasion. It's too bad we don't have any photos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2009, 04:41 PM

1,301 posts, read 2,111,724 times
Well, according to thew bible, God (Genesis 3:21) killed some animals and made cloths for them. I guess God gets the credit for being the first one to do it.

Old 08-16-2009, 04:58 PM

4,511 posts, read 7,524,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
A comment made about Adam and Eve not realizing that they were naked prompted me to ask this question. When they ate from the tree of knowledge and were suddenly aware that they were both buck naked was that beginning of the invention of clothing? Do all of the fashion designers in New York, Paris and Milan owe a debt of gratitude to the sinful couple for creating a need for their product? I can just picture Eve putting together her first rather primitive frock from whatever material that was suitable. Of course since Adam lived to be 930 years old I would imagine that he gained a wealth of knowledge about clothing over all of those centuries. He probably started off with a few fig leaves and some vines to cover the offending parts of his anatomy but soon learned to sew and stitch together more complicated attire. I would imagine that in his later years Adam probably wore some smartly tailored suits while Eve had advanced to a wardrobe of stylish and sophisticated attire that was suited for any occasion. It's too bad we don't have any photos.

bingo, sir, high heel boots and leather handbag from snake skin.
they were bored with being stark naked and vegetarians.

Old 08-16-2009, 05:06 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,581,112 times
Fig and Leaf clothing incorporated. We bare the cost.

Old 08-16-2009, 05:06 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,739,584 times
This is a Sancho Panza thread.

But if I were Adam, I'd have made my babe something like this

And she better be well-endowed <As a matter of fact, I'd have already made a pact with God when He was pulling my rib out>

Old 08-16-2009, 05:32 PM

1,186 posts, read 2,251,466 times
"And O Adam! Dwell you and your wife in Paradise, and eat thereof as you both wish, but approach not this tree otherwise you both will be of the Zalimun (unjust and wrong-doers)."

Then Shaitan (Satan) whispered suggestions to them both in order to uncover that which was hidden from them of their private parts (before); he said: "Your Lord did not forbid you this tree save that you should become angels or become of the immortals."

And he [Shaitan (Satan)] swore by Allah to them both (saying): "Verily, I am one of the sincere well-wishers for you both."

So he misled them with deception. Then when they tasted of the tree, that which was hidden from them of their shame (private parts) became manifest to them and they began to cover themselves with the leaves of Paradise (in order to cover their shame). And their Lord called out to them (saying): "Did I not forbid you that tree and tell you: Verily, Shaitan (Satan) is an open enemy unto you?"

They said: "Our Lord! We have wronged ourselves. If You forgive us not, and bestow not upon us Your Mercy, we shall certainly be of the losers."

(Allah) said: "Get down, one of you is an enemy to the other [i.e. Adam, Hawwa' (Eve), and Shaitan (Satan)]. On earth will be a dwelling-place for you and an enjoyment for a time."

He said: "Therein you shall live, and therein you shall die, and from it you shall be brought out (i.e. resurrected)."

O Children of Adam! We have bestowed raiment upon you to cover yourselves (screen your private parts) and as an adornment; and the raiment of righteousness, that is better. Such are among the Ayat (proofs, evidence, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.) of Allah, that they may remember (i.e. leave falsehood and follow truth ).

O Children of Adam! Let not Shaitan (Satan) deceive you, as he got your parents [Adam and Hawwa' (Eve)] out of Paradise, stripping them of their raiments, to show them their private parts. Verily, he and Qabiluhu (his soldiers from the jinn or his tribe) see you from where you cannot see them. Verily, We made the Shayatin (devils) Auliya' (protectors and helpers) for those who believe not.

Old 08-16-2009, 05:36 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,739,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsun View Post
Then when they tasted of the tree, that which was hidden from them of their shame (private parts) became manifest to them and they began to cover themselves with the leaves of Paradise (in order to cover their shame).
Man, that was intense.

I dunno of Adam, but I am never ashamed. If the cops in this country promise they won't arrest me, I'll streak in broad day light

Old 08-16-2009, 05:42 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,905,859 times
What's wrong with "letting it all hang out?"

Old 08-16-2009, 06:15 PM

33,566 posts, read 37,168,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsun View Post
"And O Adam! Dwell you and your wife in Paradise, and eat thereof as you both wish, but approach not this tree otherwise you both will be of the Zalimun (unjust and wrong-doers)."

Then Shaitan (Satan) whispered suggestions to them both in order to uncover that which was hidden from them of their private parts (before); he said: "Your Lord did not forbid you this tree save that you should become angels or become of the immortals."

And he [Shaitan (Satan)] swore by Allah to them both (saying): "Verily, I am one of the sincere well-wishers for you both."

So he misled them with deception. Then when they tasted of the tree, that which was hidden from them of their shame (private parts) became manifest to them and they began to cover themselves with the leaves of Paradise (in order to cover their shame). And their Lord called out to them (saying): "Did I not forbid you that tree and tell you: Verily, Shaitan (Satan) is an open enemy unto you?"

They said: "Our Lord! We have wronged ourselves. If You forgive us not, and bestow not upon us Your Mercy, we shall certainly be of the losers."

(Allah) said: "Get down, one of you is an enemy to the other [i.e. Adam, Hawwa' (Eve), and Shaitan (Satan)]. On earth will be a dwelling-place for you and an enjoyment for a time."

He said: "Therein you shall live, and therein you shall die, and from it you shall be brought out (i.e. resurrected)."

O Children of Adam! We have bestowed raiment upon you to cover yourselves (screen your private parts) and as an adornment; and the raiment of righteousness, that is better. Such are among the Ayat (proofs, evidence, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.) of Allah, that they may remember (i.e. leave falsehood and follow truth ).

O Children of Adam! Let not Shaitan (Satan) deceive you, as he got your parents [Adam and Hawwa' (Eve)] out of Paradise, stripping them of their raiments, to show them their private parts. Verily, he and Qabiluhu (his soldiers from the jinn or his tribe) see you from where you cannot see them. Verily, We made the Shayatin (devils) Auliya' (protectors and helpers) for those who believe not.
And thus began the obsession, hangups and inhibitions of the religious about all things sexual....By the way, before clothing they were "public parts"

Old 08-16-2009, 07:03 PM

1,186 posts, read 2,251,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
And thus began the obsession, hangups and inhibitions of the religious about all things sexual....By the way, before clothing they were "public parts"
it was hidding from public somehow

that which was hidden from them of their shame (private parts) became manifest to them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality