Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 05:51 AM

9,904 posts, read 13,921,963 times

Advertisements

Hi KelsieB.

Welcome aboard.

I can lend you my garlic and fly swat if you need to borrow it.

If they don't work, I always find Marilyn Manson cranked tends to clear the room.

Lot of interesting people here and some really great discussions go on from time to time. I enjoy reading here. Sure there's the odd thumper but even some of the believers that come to engage in some of the topics are really great folks.

Old 04-08-2009, 03:21 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,032,231 times
Greetings KelsieB; Our pasts sound similar although I am kinda old now...but I was raised in a non-Christian household although there was belief in God. I was free to do as I wanted as well, and when I married I tried to understand and accept Christianity because my husband was devout, as was his family. But that was many years and one divorce ago. Now...I just don't know. Not willing to say I am an Atheist, but I surely do not believe the Bible nor the Christian religion as being the "Truth".

Seems to me that God must be extremely narcissitic. He sort of plays with his creations like a cat and a mouse (if, indeed, he did create us, which I doubt) and demands our full attention and obediance, then punishes those of us who ask "why?" by sending us to everlasting Hell. Curious behavior for a "loving being".

Old 04-08-2009, 09:54 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KelsieB View Post
I've never really felt any pull towards religion. This semister in college I took an introductory to philosophy class and any feeling I had about there being a god was completely ruined for me. I read an overview of a handful of philosophers theories of why there is a god, and I found so many flaws that it is so hard to believe.

My two biggest complaints is; There is no answer for where God came from. AND They say god is omniscient, omnipotent, and all good. But if he is good why is there evil? The loving god the Christians clam to have wouldn't inflict pain on his children for nothing. Do you really have to have the bad to have understanding and gratitude of the good? I really don't think so...just a couple of my issues

But any how, I just wanted to introduce myself and say hi. I'm going to start trolling this piece of CD so I wanted to get to know some of you!
If you want some real philosophical answers, not some 19th century German rationalist professors knocking down strawmen, then this web page will definatly help you. Register for free of course and read lots of articles (peer reviewed as well) and many debate videos. Enjoy!

Reasonable Faith:

Old 04-09-2009, 12:22 PM

970 posts, read 1,702,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
If you want some real philosophical answers, not some 19th century German rationalist professors knocking down strawmen, then this web page will definatly help you. Register for free of course and read lots of articles (peer reviewed as well) and many debate videos. Enjoy!

Reasonable Faith:
I had a look, but I'm afraid there's nothing that other apologists haven't said - though better-written. Plus this little gem:
Quote:
As I explained in my exposition of the Doctrine of Creation, when it comes to questions of the origin of life and biological complexity, biblical Christians enjoy the advantage over the naturalist of being truly open to follow the evidence where it leads.

Old 04-09-2009, 04:03 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Rox: You do understand what he meant by that quote of yours? Simply the issue of whether or not evolution is fact - as envisoned as a common anscestor for all life - has no bearing on whether God exists. For the Creationists has two options unlike the naturalist/materialist so that they can follow the evidence wherever it leads --- but that still would not deny the existance of God. So why are you still an Atheist based on this premise? Of course the article highlights some problems with Common Ancestry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality