Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 05:22 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,346,950 times

Advertisements

The other day I was thinking about this forum, and it came into my head that to debate in it, Christians vs Non Christians or even vs other views of Christians, changes nothing, but instead it causes the other people to be strong in their beliefs, which you feel are false. Do others feel this to be true? And Christians, when you debate with atheists, does this made your own beliefs stronger? Does anyone really change their beliefs because of what they have read?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2009, 05:31 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,897,496 times
I don't think it hurts any of us to see opposing views Mattie Jo and I do believe that discussing beliefs on a forum gives us all a really great opportunity to learn. I'm not sure that changing people's beliefs is the name of the game anyway, personally I think the object of most discussions is mutual respect and consideration. I think some days we manage that and some days we are abysmal at it, but I have to admire everyone, no matter what their beliefs, for trying.

Old 03-27-2009, 05:41 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,022,131 times
I, myself, am here to learn. I've never had much interest in the bible even when I read it. Very hard to understand and didn't answer my questions. I'm learning the other side of the coin when I talk with bible believers. It probably won't change my mind about what I do believe but it's interesting to say the least. I have also come to share my thoughts and beliefs without trying to make others adhere to it. I don't feel anyone has the right to force something on another even if they were very strong in our beliefs. People have to choose what is best for them because you are the only one who knows you.

Old 03-27-2009, 06:56 AM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie Jo View Post
The other day I was thinking about this forum, and it came into my head that to debate in it, Christians vs Non Christians or even vs other views of Christians, changes nothing, but instead it causes the other people to be strong in their beliefs, which you feel are false. Do others feel this to be true? And Christians, when you debate with atheists, does this made your own beliefs stronger? Does anyone really change their beliefs because of what they have read?
For me these forums have educated me in the way that people of differing beliefs think. Some Christians hold very tightly to biblical stories regardless of how outlandishly false they are, others embrace a more modern approach to their faith....Regarding my own views as an atheist most of what I read here seems to confirm and strengthen them...Had I come here as a fence sitter, I'm quite sure of which side I would have fallen off on.

Read any of the evolution vs creation threads with an open mind then tell me if you think that the bible is an accurate record of events of the history of the universe. I do believe that the seed of doubt has been planted in the minds of some Christians here....How could it not be?

Perhaps I just do not understand how the religious mind works though. It has to blind itself to new facts learned every day by advances in our knowledge of the universe around us....I do not know how this is possible.

Old 03-27-2009, 08:41 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,618,410 times
The forum has a pretty good cross section of all sorts of beliefs or lack of beliefs so every once in awhile you can get a pretty good discussion going. I do agree with the OP that you don't see people switching sides and suddenly changing from a Christian to an atheist or an agnostic to a Muslim or whatever the case may be. It seems like virtually all of us have our minds made up already and just enjoy debating the subject, I know I do.
There have also been a large number of threads in the more than two years that I've been on this forum in which someone is asking for guidance and advice on a variety of topics related to their religious beliefs. There have been a few who seemed to be troubled with personal problems that were serious and really can't be resolved on a forum such as this one and professional help was obviously needed. At least in those instances people seemed to be supportive and tried to steer them in the right direction so I think the forum did do a little bit of good.

Old 03-27-2009, 09:54 AM

What you are all writing is interesting and something I had not thought about, which makes this forum more important. Perhaps it isn't always about trying to change people's views and maybe more often about learning.

I remember when I was a Jehovah's Witness I was told that we could not go to college because they teach evolution and philosophy and it would cause us to become atheists, but seeing this forum I don't' see much change in people's views, but I do learn a lot. After I got out of the Jehovah's Witnesses I went to college. Did it change me; yes. But what changed me more was how I was treated by the Jehovah's Witnesses, shunned, and so I began searching for ways to disprove them and easily found them.

It wasn't until years later that I began to believe in God again, and no one can take that away from me. Not even atheists. And yet I have read atheist books for many years.

But learning where the Bible came from, its teachings, falsehoods, etc. I can't believe that ever again, and no Christian here can change that for me.

It is still hard for me to understand how the Christian mind doesn't change when faced with facts, even though I was once a Christian, but being a Christian I was not faced with facts like people are here, because I was not allowed to be exposed to it. But as a Jehovah's Witness you know what I could do? I would watch any television program I wanted, and I was allowed to read Peyton Place and other such books. Strange when I think of it. Just don't go to college and don't read about other religions, and most of all do not have any friends that are not JWs.

I guess I am still amazed at what some people can believe. I think maybe the Christian mind doesn't think when they read what is written here. Their minds are closed, and so they just focus on saving others. But we were taught not to think, not to question, and that is really ingrained.

Old 03-27-2009, 10:32 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,855,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie Jo View Post
It wasn't until years later that I began to believe in God again, and no one can take that away from me. Not even atheists. And yet I have read atheist books for many years.
I'm not sure that the act of reading a book constitutes any necessity for change on the part of the reader. I will admit that, at 15, I read "Why I Am Not A Christian", a short booklet by Bertrand Russell. This book did not turn me into an atheist, I did that all by myself. What Dr. Russell did was give me more information and different perspectives, these I mulled over in my mind for a while before I started believing that Disbelief is a viable option. I have since read the bible several more times, attended several different churches, these things did not turn me back into a christer, it did, however, confirm why I quit believing years ago. The more I looked into christerism, the less viable it became as a belief structure. Unfortunately, Dr. Russell died before I could thank him for the guidance, he introduced me to logic.

Old 03-27-2009, 11:29 AM

1,115 posts, read 3,133,261 times
Naturally, a forum like this would bring people who want to see questions and answers about religion, and want to see some discussion.

But from my personal experience. Most Christians absolutely do not want to talk about their faith. Unless they already know for a fact that the other person is in complete agreement with them. Otherwise, they are threatened by it. I sensed that they are nervous about tripping up on thier own logic, or lack thereof.

Old 03-27-2009, 08:02 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,477,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post
Naturally, a forum like this would bring people who want to see questions and answers about religion, and want to see some discussion.

But from my personal experience. Most Christians absolutely do not want to talk about their faith. Unless they already know for a fact that the other person is in complete agreement with them. Otherwise, they are threatened by it. I sensed that they are nervous about tripping up on thier own logic, or lack thereof.
There is little use in debating faith.
At times it is interesting to discuss religion/beliefs. Analyzing the details is something else.

Old 03-28-2009, 04:37 AM

I think you are right, there is little use in debating faith, but I still do it. There is a thread on this in the Debate Forum. Just found it. Some say that they have changed their views, and some say when they are bashed they shut down no matter how good the argument is. Kind of reminds me of how people shut down when they are told they are going to hell if they don't believe in Christ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality