Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2009, 12:02 PM

33,568 posts, read 37,185,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
If I could make 20 keys, that would open 20 locks in your home, would you say I had a good Imagination?

And by the way, I have never given a Biblical timeline.
Are you saying here that you do not believe all was created by God some 6000 years ago? Are you accepting that the earth is at least 3.7 billion years old as science has confirmed?

What is with the key statement?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 12:04 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,929,647 times
Default OOooohhhh!!! GOOD CATCH, Ms. Ice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Ice View Post
What I want to know is how some bits of pottery could call evolution into question, even if they are ancient? What exactly is being proved by their existance? Playing Devils advocate (pun intended), if the figures are ancient all it proves is that some people had a good imagination 2000 odd years ago. It doesn't even scratch the surface of the mountains of evidence for evolution. If you (Campbell34) are somehow trying to prove that the Earth is only 6000 years old (or whatever figure it is that you believe) by this, then you debunked your own theory a few pages back by giving an example of some Japanese pottery dated, by the same method, at being some 16,500 years old as shown in the quote below.

So which method do you believe? If these dating methods can be trusted, you've disproved your theory of a biblical timeline. If they can't be trusted then you disprove your dinosaur pottery. Which will it be?
A spectacular bit of detectivery, The Most Honorable Lady Ice hath done hit upon a derail in C34's logic train. i've often posted links to this lad about ancient RECORDED Chinese history that, irrefutibly, showed they were writin' stuff down well before the required 6035 years.

He's just agreed with me, and I didn't even catch it.

I can't wait to hear his response.

Old 04-03-2009, 12:26 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,221,381 times
Quote:
And by the way, I have never given a Biblical timeline.
No?

By implication you have. You cite YEC sites that hold to a 6k time line. If not you would not question or even state questions regarding time lines that extend beyond this.

But since you place yourself on the spot, tell us exactly how you come to the young earth POV and specifically how it is calculated?

Old 04-03-2009, 06:12 PM

7,628 posts, read 10,978,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
A spectacular bit of detectivery, The Most Honorable Lady Ice hath done hit upon a derail in C34's logic train. i've often posted links to this lad about ancient RECORDED Chinese history that, irrefutibly, showed they were writin' stuff down well before the required 6035 years.

He's just agreed with me, and I didn't even catch it.

I can't wait to hear his response.
Sorry to bust your bubble rifleman. I do believe the earth is thousands of years old, yet I have not done a close study as to how many thousands of years that might be.

Old 04-03-2009, 06:39 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,128,477 times
OK, I could read through all 75+ pages of this. But I'm not going to. All I will say is that it is now upon the fundamentalists to provide scientific proof that the Earth is a mere few thousand years old. (Campbell34, are you listening?)

Why?

Because it's not just "evolutionary scientists" who conclude the earth is billions of years old. It's also Astronomers, Geologists, Physicists, Astrophysicists and Cosmologists who all agree. And what's interesting is that they each arrived at their conclusions based on their own areas of expertise.

In other words, gentle creationists, the overwhelming consensus in science across every discipline points to an Earth that is at least 4.5 billion years old.

Go ahead and dispute that. You have every right to. But the ball is now in your court.

Prove your claim. Let's all see the science behind it.

I repeat, most emphatically, prove beyond a scientific shadow of a doubt that the earth is just a few thousand years old.

Last edited by Astron1000; 04-03-2009 at 07:22 PM..

Old 04-03-2009, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Sorry to bust your bubble rifleman. I do believe the earth is thousands of years old, yet I have not done a close study as to how many thousands of years that might be.

So, that is quite a nice wiggle you are doing now Campbell. It clearly says 6000 years on your favorite site, The Key to the Age of the Earth - Answers in Genesis ...Perhaps a bit of doubt is beginning to seep into your mind? That's a good thing.

Old 04-03-2009, 06:58 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,637,176 times
Campbell34 wrote:
Quote:
So it sounds like you're open to the concept that we're dealing with an earth that could be more than six thousand years old. But let me ask you, if you did a study of the age of the earth what would it be based on?

Old 04-04-2009, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Campbell34 wrote:

So it sounds like you're open to the concept that we're dealing with an earth that could be more than six thousand years old. But let me ask you, if you did a study of the age of the earth what would it be based on?
I have never really considered the age of the earth. That is, I have never really looked into it from a Biblical perspective. Yet, last night I spent a little time doing just that. I would consider the age of the earth based on what Scripture would show me, of course. I know we hear a lot of Christians claiming the earth is only 6,000 years old. However, I believe those who make that claim, may of missed a few points along the way. It appears to me, based on Scripture alone. One could make a strong arguement that the earth we find ourselves on, is at least 14,000 years old. I am not set in stone on that, because with the Bible, even a single missed word, could change everything. Yet, my finding, I believe, is a reasonable one.

Old 04-04-2009, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Are you saying here that you do not believe all was created by God some 6000 years ago? Are you accepting that the earth is at least 3.7 billion years old as science has confirmed?

What is with the key statement?
Based on what I see in Scripture. I believe all was made by God perhaps some 14,000 years ago.

Old 04-04-2009, 08:35 AM

Well now this is a little progress, but I'm afraid the earth is much older...Just the history of China confirms that. China History dates back as early as 16th century B.C. and traces the incidents and situations that led to the progress of the world's oldest surviving civilization.

Pre-recorded history you would have to leap much further back than that....China in ancient days was inhabited by Home Erectus, some 1.27 million years ago. Popularly known as the Peking Man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality