Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 03:31 PM

105 posts, read 253,471 times

Advertisements

Maybe we should stop judging people by using the phrase at all, only God really knows what our heart of heart holds. Didn't Jesus ostracize the hypocrites and told us to pray in private so that we could reveal our true self to God, away from the prying eyes and ears of others? I'm not afraid of the wrath of God as long as The Lord keeps me within God's Grace. I do fear losing access to His loving kindness. Once out of that Holy Circle I am spiritually defenseless against the forces of darkness that constantly surround me. I don't fear them as The Holy Spirit protects me without fail.

BTW I believe the word was an approximate translation of the Hebrew and that any word used would fall infinitely short of the power and majesty of The Living God. This is as it should be.

Last edited by Blacknblue; 02-11-2009 at 03:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 03:38 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,635,284 times
Braderjoe wrote:
Quote:
He is your Creator...not your drinking buddy We are but like a germ compared to Him
Do we have to be as lowly as a germ? Couldn't we at least be a worm? And speaking of drinking buddies I wonder how many billions of gallons of wine have been consumed at communion by the faithful over the centuries. That would certainly make the Creator the drinking buddy of all time.

Old 02-11-2009, 03:42 PM

105 posts, read 253,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Braderjoe wrote:

Do we have to be as lowly as a germ? Couldn't we at least be a worm? And speaking of drinking buddies I wonder how many billions of gallons of wine have been consumed at communion by the faithful over the centuries. That would certainly make the Creator the drinking buddy of all time.
Designated Savior?

Old 02-11-2009, 03:49 PM

4,511 posts, read 7,525,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacknblue View Post
Designated Savior?

designer-made? Thoughts can run into shoddy terrain - or not ?

Old 02-11-2009, 03:54 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,609,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
The term God fearing is often used as a compliment to someone's devotion to God but it's always struck me as a strange thing to say. Why would someone be afraid of this God who supposedly loves us? I suspect that the origins of this phrase are rooted in one of religion's most important functions which is of course to keep everybody in line by having the threat of punishment hanging over our heads.
By the way, as I am writing these words the wind is furiously whipping the tree limbs I can see through the window. I wonder if The Big Fella is trying to instill a little fear in me for starting such a blasphemous thread.
When you were a child and the other kids you hung out with wanted to go do something that you knew was wrong, but yet they were determined that you join them in this, whatever it was. Did you not get a sudden grip in your stomach as you ponder, "what if my dad finds out?"

It's the same fear.

I always hated it when my friends would want me to ask my dad to go with them on something, that I knew he would think to be wrong. The knot in the pit of my stomach lingered for days.

Old 02-11-2009, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
When you were a child and the other kids you hung out with wanted to go do something that you knew was wrong, but yet they were determined that you join them in this, whatever it was. Did you not get a sudden grip in your stomach as you ponder, "what if my dad finds out?"

It's the same fear.

I always hated it when my friends would want me to ask my dad to go with them on something, that I knew he would think to be wrong. The knot in the pit of my stomach lingered for days.

don'tcha tell me. ever got over that? how?????

Old 02-11-2009, 04:14 PM

2,332 posts, read 2,842,142 times
I'm still wondering if cinnamon barks on other planets could be of the same chemical composition; I heard of a theory green could be identified by light spectral alteration as blue, and so forth.

Old 02-11-2009, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgnostic View Post
I'm still wondering if cinnamon barks on other planets could be of the same chemical composition; I heard of a theory green could be identified by light spectral alteration as blue, and so forth.
good one, really.

Old 02-11-2009, 04:37 PM

998 posts, read 1,333,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Roamer View Post
It's just a manner of speaking - it doesn't literally mean that I help people because I fear the wrath of God. I'm just a nice guy.
Ahh..that's the correct phrase 'fear the wrath of God'.
God is mercyful. He wants us to go on the straight path and always accepts the repentance of His creatures. It is stated 'when we walk to God..He will run to us' - not literally of course but you know what i mean

As for the germ phrase...nothing to be sad coz its the truth. What are we compared to our Creator who creates the heavens and the earth and does not need to rest

Old 02-11-2009, 04:40 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,609,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell

It's the same fear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by effie briest View Post
don'tcha tell me. ever got over that? how?????
I didn't. My tush is still on fire. Truer words were never spoken as were these. "A spanking you will remember for a life time."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality