Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2007, 01:41 PM

30,457 posts, read 52,171,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
That's all I ask. That you reallize that, yeah we don't all believe the way gays do, but it's not right to just point the finger and act like you're "holier that thou".

I respect everyone. Even if they don't think like I do.
Sorry if I came off harshly to you, but I only read that one post of yours... and it seemed a bit judgemental, though I'm glad you at least respect others. I don't think ALL Christians have that "holier than thou" attitude, but way too many do! It's their right to have any beliefs they choose - I just have a problem when they disrespect people with different beliefs.

Old 02-15-2007, 01:43 PM

1,697 posts, read 3,492,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier67 View Post
Did the headline get your attention? That was my hope. Now that I have your attention I will go out on a limb with you all.

As an evangelical Christian who has been bought by the blood of Jesus I too have had a colorful past. We all have in one form or another. We've all sinned, we've all made mistakes we regret. We all have secret sins we will never share with anyone. My secret has been exposed. I was gay. Yes I say was. Was I cured? No. Am I still gay? No. Do I tell people? No way. I'm telling you all because the security of this forum allows me to do so without rejection that will hurt me personally. I've been hurt so many times in my life because of this sin. Yes I said sin. I believe wholeheartedly that being gay is a sin.

Many will say that God created us this way and how can he send all gay people to hell? Sin entered the world with Adam and Eve. We are a fallen world because of that. Let's not get off on blaming God or Adam or anyone for sin. It is what it is. Let's accept the reality and move forward.

There is a long version and short version to my story. The short version is that I have dealt with these feelings since I was a pre-teen. I am now 40. I accepted Christ as my Savior at age 21. I am going to heaven because I accepted Jesus in my heart.

I have been in a few gay relationships both before and after I became a Christian. Deep inside me I knew it was wrong, everytime. I never believed being gay was what God wanted for me. He did not create me this way. In my life currently I sometimes deal with being attracted to other men. It is a difficult thing to deal with because I know what the Bible says and I have chosen to not act on my desires because my faith is much more important to me than my physical desires.

I am married to a wonderful woman who knows my struggles. We have two beautiful children. Some say that I was never gay because I am married. Everyone has their own opinion. Everyone is entitled to that and I've stopped worrying about making others happy with my choices. The only one I concern myself with is first: God and second: my wife. She is a phenomenal support for me when I need it. Although we do not talk regularly about it because it does make her uncomfortable.

Why am I being so open to a group of people that I don't know and could easily bash me and reject me? Because I want to take this part of my life and help someone who is looking for answers. Someone like me who didn't have anyone to go to. Who had to find the answers out the hard way. I want people to know that there are Christian men out there who deal with this issue quietly and have no one to turn to. I cannot talk to my Christian male friends, or non-christian either because many will just not understand. But that does not deter me from standing strong in my faith, no matter the cost.

I believe every man and woman has a choice to live or not live the life of a homosexual. But then you'll say, why would I want to be gay? It's not a choice, it's who I am! Yeah, but everything we do in life is a choice. You just have to decide what is more important to you (not to your friends, partner or anyone else....but you).

I am not condeming or judging anyone. You may read this and think so. Not so. I have been judged and condemend by so many people throughout my life because of this one part of me, I am the absolute last person to ever do that to anyone. Think about was said here. If you're gay, you do have a choice. If you're straight, Christian or non...try to make an effort to remember that the person you work with, or the buddy in your men's group at church might deal with these issues. Be sensitive. Don't coarsely joke about homosexuals. It's not an easy life...believe me.

Blessings!
Let me ask you this- knowing how much your God, your family, and your friends disapprove of it, why did you "choose" to be a homosexual in the first place?

Old 02-15-2007, 01:49 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,182,725 times
So, hoosier67, would you say this was a loaded question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb919 View Post
Let me ask you this- knowing how much your God, your family, and your friends disapprove of it, why did you "choose" to be a homosexual in the first place?

Old 02-17-2007, 06:31 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,742,412 times
I want to thank all of you who supported me when I shared my personal testimony about my struggle with the gay desires. I knew what I wrote would not be popular and many would have a problem with it, whether they posted their thoughts or not.

During the time this thread has been active I've done a lot of thinking and praying over this issue. You've all given me the resolve (especially the posters who disagreed with my stance) to take this sin out of the closet and bring it before the public. In essence I have decided to begin submitting articles to specific magazines about my being gay and coming out of that lifestyle and surrending my life to God. Taking the testimony I wrote here and sharing it however I am able.

My goal in doing the above is to bring glory to God for what He has done in my life, and how he can do it in others lives--only if they're willing. Thanks again! Blessings to you all.

-Hoosier

Old 02-17-2007, 06:53 PM

3 posts, read 4,186 times
Exclamation Hope this helps

Quote:
I've heard that there are gay people who call themselves Christians. Can you be gay and a Christian at the same time? Does being gay go against what the Bible says? FYI: I am just asking a question, not making a statement.
God loves us all , However the bible speaks against people being Gay, I do think once a person is born again and puts off the old person they will want to live the way God said to live. I do not think one can be gay and a child of God. If I murdered someone everyday I would not be walking the way God said to walk. What is the point saying you are Christian when you have not changed the way you live? That is my thought on the matter, God does love us all but he wants us to change from our ways of sinful living to being obedient to him.

Old 02-17-2007, 09:11 PM

702 posts, read 2,530,600 times
Have you changed from your sinful ways rosemadder? We all sin in one way or another EVERY DAY...so at the end of the day I'm guessing you vow to change your sinful ways and then go about sinning all over again the next day. Not that I am small minded enough to believe that being gay is a sin...it simply is something that some people don't understand, so they condemn it rather than try to understand and accept it. You can quote the bible all day with verses vaguely hinting at homosexuality being a sin; yet it's pretty obvious that those passages are dripping with human prejudice, and it's easy to see if your vision isn't clouded with "god's love". And in response to those passages I could come up with a stack that are very clear in stating rules, sins, and other commands that are ignored - they aren't considered important because they are "not applicable to the modern world". Christians love to pick and choose what to demonize and label sins...and they love to pull out anything that slightly supports their anti-gay stance.

On a lighter note, nobody believe in the ex-gay movement and we all know that 'ex-gays' are living a dishonest life that not only hurts themselves, but is hurtful to their spouses and children. It's a joke to those of us who know what time it is...and I'm always interested to hear about these cases, which are very few by the way, 5 years later when they are either former ex-gays or cruising gay websites, rest areas or similar popular haunts of the married and cheating.

Old 02-18-2007, 12:49 AM
HDL

3,217 posts, read 6,805,829 times
Thumbs up There's really only 1 opinion that matters and that's

GOD's!!!! I'm glad this forum helped you hoosier67. I know that God will use your testimony to help others who also struggle in this area .

Many blessings on you and your family!! I don't know if you knew this, but I heard singer Donnie McClurkins' testimony last year and he also came out of the gay lifestyle. Please don't ever believe those that say you can't change because with God nothing is impossible !!!!

Old 02-18-2007, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happydawglady View Post
GOD's!!!! I'm glad this forum helped you hoosier67. I know that God will use your testimony to help others who also struggle in this area .

Many blessings on you and your family!! I don't know if you knew this, but I heard singer Donnie McClurkins' testimony last year and he also came out of the gay lifestyle. Please don't ever believe those that say you can't change because with God nothing is impossible !!!!
He still hasn't answered my question as to why he chose to be gay in the first place even though he knew all along how "wrong" it was.

I would find it very hard to believe that a god cares nearly as much about who we choose to sleep with as people do, and if he did, I'd say that he ought to find more pressing matters to attend to...

Old 02-18-2007, 08:42 AM

3,570 posts, read 8,742,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb919 View Post
He still hasn't answered my question as to why he chose to be gay in the first place even though he knew all along how "wrong" it was.
I will be more than happy to answer your question if you answer one first. Is the purpose of your question to learn or to simply mock mine and other Christian's choices?

Old 02-18-2007, 02:12 PM

Quote:
I will be more than happy to answer your question if you answer one first. Is the purpose of your question to learn or to simply mock mine and other Christian's choices?
Truth- I don't believe that the "ex-gay" movement has any credibility, and those who are in it are fooling themselves and everyone else who won't accept that someone close to them is "one of them". There are so many young people who are struggling with their own sexuality, and I don't think this movement does them any good at all. You've acknowledged what you are, then actively tried to repress it as best you could and now you've created a whole life around that repression. I can't help but believe that it's only a matter of time before your carefully crafted life unravels. I'm extremely skeptical of your claim to be "cured".

I am truly interested to hear your perspective. If you believe that sexual orientation is a choice, then what on Earth made you pick one that you knew was going to bring you misery and disapproval?

I'm sorry if I sound harsh. I'm no one to judge anyone's happiness, and if you really are happy, I'm happy for you. It's just that your story runs against all reputable science, and it's counterintuitive to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality