Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2008, 06:59 PM

2,136 posts, read 4,793,824 times

Advertisements

OK, I am sure that this is going to bring on all the Catholic bashing out there. Have at it. I think it is a remarkable video. And, actually, it doesn't tell you who to vote for.

Enjoy.

YouTube - Catholic Vote 2008

PS: good night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2008, 08:05 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,674,215 times
You know I watched this, and I find it very frightening to think that some people would believe such a thing and that a religious organization would use such tactics to try to influence how people vote in a political race. I see a lot of anti-abortion propaganda in this film, my personal opinion is that I feel the government should never interfere or dictate what a woman decides to do with her body, that is between her and her creator and nobody else, that does not mean that I am for abortion it means that I am for the right for the woman to choose what is best for her and nothing more, and I do not believe that religion has any business of getting into politics and trying to dictate what people can and can't do, I believe in the right of being able to make your own choice without the interference of religion, regardless of what religion that may be.

Old 10-07-2008, 07:54 AM

2,136 posts, read 4,793,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
You know I watched this, and I find it very frightening to think that some people would believe such a thing and that a religious organization would use such tactics to try to influence how people vote in a political race. I see a lot of anti-abortion propaganda in this film, my personal opinion is that I feel the government should never interfere or dictate what a woman decides to do with her body, that is between her and her creator and nobody else, that does not mean that I am for abortion it means that I am for the right for the woman to choose what is best for her and nothing more, and I do not believe that religion has any business of getting into politics and trying to dictate what people can and can't do, I believe in the right of being able to make your own choice without the interference of religion, regardless of what religion that may be.

Ptsum,

Yes, you are right, there is obviously a lot of anti-abortion propoganda in this ad. However, what I see more than that is the importance of FAMILY being reinforced. Families in this country, at least in my world, or in a crisis I am pro-choice and I was able to look past the message that you see. It is funny to me how people can view something so differently. Yet, it is also very logical. I see what effects my world. And again, in my world, the "family" is being lost. Parents are going to work and working all sorts of hours to support their lives when what is really happening is that the very essence of life is being lost in the chaos.

An example, in my neighborhood, a local church is allowing a cell tower to be built on their property. Their property abutts the elementary school that my children attend. You would not believe how it has gotten people up in arms. They have pulled together and put in countless numbers of hours trying to stop this cell tower. Do they have the facts? In my opinion, probably not. But they have a mission. I am so upset with what I see happening. They are at every school function touting there anti-cell tower propaganda. But I have to ask myself, if they didn't have their mission, would they be at the school at all? If they only put half the time that they spend on this cell tower back into their neighborhoods and their communities, maybe we wouldn't have so many teen pregnancies, runaways, or high school drop-outs. Maybe their families would be sitting down together at night at the dinner table. Maybe, just maybe, they would have already known their neighbor's name instead of just meeting them for the first time at a cell tower meeting. I don't know, maybe I'm the one who is disillusioned...

This is an important election year. I am not trying to tell anyone HOW to vote. I just thought that the ad touched on some very important values that I believe our world (IMHO) has lost.

Sorry if I in any way offended you or others by posting the thread. That was certainly not my intention.

<><

Old 10-07-2008, 08:50 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,027,919 times
ptsum:

I could not have said it better...I am 100% in agreement with you!!!

Old 10-07-2008, 09:15 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,674,215 times
Whetherologist,

I can see your side of the issue and from what I saw there are two issues, one having to do with family, which I wholeheartedly support, but the other issue that has to do with abortion and the way it was presented in that little film is disturbing to me, because what I see as a scare tactic being used by the church to control its congregation as to how it should vote, that is exactly why I feel that religion and politics have no business being together, I do not think the church should be in the business of politics and telling people how to vote, I think the church should stay in the business of religion and leave the politics to the politicians. And do not worry I was not offended by any of this, I'm glad you brought this up for discussion.

Old 10-07-2008, 09:36 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,983,083 times
Personally;I see scare tactics being used whether by religion or secular politics. Its just the fact that people have different core beliefs that guide their life. Asking a christian to ignore their core beliefs is unrealistic basically.

Old 10-07-2008, 03:14 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,543,185 times
Weather, that was a beautiful , inspirational video, and I agree that life is important.. All life.. and the things in this world that God has given us to make life more pleasant for us..According to the bible He has given us the choice of leaders because he saw our need and desire to be led in the ot..But he also gave us choice to make in the beginning and it was an individual choice to be made by ourself..I have based my choice on who I want to lead this nation on many issues besides the abortion issue, which I will not argue here on this board or in the real world..I try very hard not to mix religion with my choice of president..The church I used to attend pretty much told us who to vote for 8 years ago and look at us now...and to think that decision of that church was based on a politicians declaration to be a christian, against abortion, etc, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality