Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 07:51 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,674,331 times

Advertisements

I have a friend whose screen name begins with J. She seems to have become fixated on the comings and goings of geese and is seeking a deeper understanding of life's mysteries based on their behavior. Of course we all know that a goose is a very sophisticated bird and is a lover of poetry, Mozart, stimulating discussions and fine wine which is quite different from their low life distant relatives the pigeons whose only purpose in life is to target automobiles and unfortunate pedestrians with their droppings.
Here's a few sayings about geese that might stimulate her pondering.

"If you feel the urge, don't be afraid to go on a wild goose chase. What do you think wild geese are for anyway?" Will Rogers

"The snow goose doesn't bathe to make itself white. Neither need you do anything but be yourself." Lao Tzu quotes

"I do not believe in God because I do not believe in Mother Goose." Clarence Darrow

"What's good for the goose is good for the gander." American proverb
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2008, 08:04 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,493,777 times
That's funny. I too have a friend with a screen name who begins with "J" and likes to ponder the non-coincidental nature of geese. But, I'd also like to let it be known that I have a lot of geese in my neighborhood and they tend to lay their droppings all over my well kept grass which drives me nuts. Other than that, I tend to really like them and they are otherwise pretty majestic creatures to watch.

Old 10-01-2008, 08:38 AM

33,638 posts, read 37,321,773 times
One attribute I admire about geese is that unlike humans, they are completely faithful to their mate and offspring, and will defend both with amazing vigor. Try approaching too close to nesting geese at your own peril.

Old 10-01-2008, 02:17 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,706,208 times
To quote my nephew "Duck duck goose goose"

Old 10-01-2008, 02:25 PM

33,638 posts, read 37,321,773 times

1. YouTube - Tennessee Ernie Ford - Cry of the Wild Goose

My heart knows what the wild goose knows
And I must go where the wild goose goes
Wild goose, brother goose, which is best?
A wanderin' fool or a heart at rest?

Tonight I heard the wild goose cry
Hangin' north in the lonely sky
Tried to sleep, it warn't no use
'cause I am a brother to the old wild goose

Old 10-01-2008, 02:54 PM

22,866 posts, read 19,489,010 times
One of my all time favorite poems, it is by Mary Oliver

Wild Geese

You do not have to be good.
You do not have to walk on your knees
for a hundred miles through the desert, repenting.
You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.

Tell me about despair, yours, and I will tell you mine.
Meanwhile the world goes on.
Meanwhile the sun and the clear pebbles of the rain
are moving across the landscapes,
over the prairies and the deep trees,
the mountains and the rivers.

Meanwhile the wild geese, high in the clean blue air,
are heading home again.
Whoever you are, no matter how lonely,
the world offers itself to your imagination,
calls to you like the wild geese, harsh and exciting--
over and over announcing your place
in the family of things.

---Mary Oliver

Old 10-01-2008, 02:57 PM

22,866 posts, read 19,489,010 times
and one of the most essential pieces of trivia to drop in casual conversation and appear knowledgeable

the correct name is Canada Goose
it is NOT Canadian Goose

Old 10-01-2008, 04:00 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,043,298 times
...and if you have several geese of varying breeds you have "gooses", not geese.

Old 10-01-2008, 04:19 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,674,331 times
esselcue wrote:
Quote:
...and if you have several geese of varying breeds you have "gooses", not geese.
Really? I didn't know that. I also must admit that I am completely ignorant of the meaning of the last quote I made in the OP. I don't have the slightest idea of what a "gander" is. I know I've used that word in a phrase such as "let me take a gander at it" which in my hillbilly Montana way of thinking means "let me take a look at it" but I can't imagine how such a definition could have anything to do with geese.

Old 10-01-2008, 04:23 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,706,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
esselcue wrote:

Really? I didn't know that. I also must admit that I am completely ignorant of the meaning of the last quote I made in the OP. I don't have the slightest idea of what a "gander" is. I know I've used that word in a phrase such as "let me take a gander at it" which in my hillbilly Montana way of thinking means "let me take a look at it" but I can't imagine how such a definition could have anything to do with geese.
Is this your way of saying you have never been "goosed" before?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality