Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 03:50 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,618,410 times

Advertisements

I was just reading an article in ABC news, here's the link:
It sounds like an interesting study and I know that this is something we've discussed in other threads. This particular study sounds as though it's going to be fairly extensive in the US and Britain. I don't expect any evidence will be discovered that a conscious mind can exist outside of it's biological function in the brain but I think this could produce some additional information about the process of death or near death experiences and how this impacts the human brain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2008, 05:50 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,654,459 times
Sounds like it's going to be an interesting study, think I'll keep track of it to see what the results are going to be..

Old 09-30-2008, 10:15 PM

3,553 posts, read 5,152,358 times
I had one in 1987. It was the most remarkable physical/spiritual experience I have ever had. Of course it was drug(LSD) induced, on 2 1/2 hits, but it didn't negate what happened, as I also had a witness there as well. People who say that telepathy and such doesn't happen, really are close minded. I thought for a spell, I had died, but after further research, I discovered what an OBE was, and concluded that was what it was.

Old 10-02-2008, 04:22 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,500,581 times
Very interesting..I will be watching the study..As a believer, yes I do think some of the nde may be true..Maybe the brain and mind shut down, but I don't believe the soul/spirit ever does..JMHO from a believers point of view

Old 10-02-2008, 09:42 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,257,254 times
I was disappointed that all they have at this point is an idea for how to measure it - no results. This isn't news until they actually have results and it's been vetted by the scientific community.

Old 10-03-2008, 01:24 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,333,090 times
I wish scientists would study my "in the body experiences"

Old 10-03-2008, 01:41 PM

414 posts, read 776,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
I was disappointed that all they have at this point is an idea for how to measure it - no results. This isn't news until they actually have results and it's been vetted by the scientific community.
Results? They? It can be so extraordinarily normal ....

Old 10-03-2008, 05:14 PM

7,995 posts, read 12,269,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post

I wish scientists would study my "in the body experiences"

Now that ^ could be kinda scarey.

June's thinkin' they'd find an awful lotta bacon bits () that had naturally been converted into the positive energy you exude, and possibly deliberate about donating you and your body to "science." (As opposed to it's going to heaven, of course!)

Take gentle crispy bacon care.

Old 10-03-2008, 05:54 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,618,410 times
HotinAZ wrote:
Quote:
I had one in 1987. It was the most remarkable physical/spiritual experience I have ever had. Of course it was drug(LSD) induced, on 2 1/2 hits, but it didn't negate what happened, as I also had a witness there as well. People who say that telepathy and such doesn't happen, really are close minded.
Back in the days of my misspent youth in the 60's I also tried LSD a few times although I'd never do it again. I don't believe those experiences proved the existence of any sort of ability such as telepathy but they were certainly powerful experiences and I think that people tend to imagine that this was actually some sort of supernatural event in which our minds transcended the physical restraints of our bodies. That all sounded kind of cool back in the days of Timothy Leary who I actually saw in person in Missoula, Montana. Now that I'm older I feel I have a more realistic opinion about it. The functions of our brains can be artificially altered by the use of certain substances such as LSD and other mind altering drugs. There's no question that it's a very powerful drug which I found to be very frightening at times and I also witnessed a young man go berserk on LSD and smash through a plate glass window two stories above the ground and was lucky to have survived. I'm not closed minded at all about telepathy and other supposed human abilities, I just need to have credible, scientific evidence presented to me that's not clouded with the warped sense of reality that I myself have experienced.

Old 10-04-2008, 07:31 AM

5,160 posts, read 9,169,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
HotinAZ wrote:

Back in the days of my misspent youth in the 60's I also tried LSD a few times although I'd never do it again. I don't believe those experiences proved the existence of any sort of ability such as telepathy but they were certainly powerful experiences and I think that people tend to imagine that this was actually some sort of supernatural event in which our minds transcended the physical restraints of our bodies. That all sounded kind of cool back in the days of Timothy Leary who I actually saw in person in Missoula, Montana. Now that I'm older I feel I have a more realistic opinion about it. The functions of our brains can be artificially altered by the use of certain substances such as LSD and other mind altering drugs. There's no question that it's a very powerful drug which I found to be very frightening at times and I also witnessed a young man go berserk on LSD and smash through a plate glass window two stories above the ground and was lucky to have survived. I'm not closed minded at all about telepathy and other supposed human abilities, I just need to have credible, scientific evidence presented to me that's not clouded with the warped sense of reality that I myself have experienced.
I personally have an Albert Hofman day.
I'm a hippie minus their political beliefs. What's that leave you with?
I have had a few out of body experiences, but they were always just a part of the psychedelic experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality