Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 11:02 AM

763 posts, read 2,266,870 times

Advertisements

A prayer to God is not dial-a-demand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2008, 01:13 PM

1,597 posts, read 2,189,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elgusano View Post
A prayer to God is not dial-a-demand.
Precisely. Nor is God a vending machine that dispenses products per our command.

*Insert .75*

*Push C8 if you want a better job*

*Push I4 to make it sunny and warm*

*Push B1 if you want little Tommy to make the varsity football team*

*Take change below*

I wonder if anyone ever considers that maybe, just maybe, God has a reason for sending hurricanes to certain places. Perhaps there is some sort of cleansing of the land that can only take place via a hurricane? Perhaps only the winds of a hurricane can adequately distribute certain seeds of plants and trees in such a way as to replenish a particular area? Perhaps the atmosphere needs to be stirred up in a certain area so that it affects the climate somewhere else on the globe. You just never know why God may do, or NOT do something that we simply don't understand.

Old 08-30-2008, 01:20 PM

27,827 posts, read 16,335,815 times
Sadly, many use the issue of suffering as an excuse to reject any thought of God, when its existance is the very reason we should accept Him. Suffering stands as a terrible testimony to the truth of the explanation given by the Word of God.
When sin came into this world, death and misery came with it.

Old 08-30-2008, 03:32 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,678,195 times
saltine wrote:
Quote:
When sin came into this world, death and misery came with it.
Are you suggesting that hurricanes and changes in the weather didn't occur until Adam and Eve screwed up everything with their misbehavior in the Garden of Eden?

Old 08-30-2008, 05:52 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,706,208 times
It is funny to see so many people quoting a books and verses but seem to have NO logical answer to very valid question / comment from the OP. The line was very simple - why cannot god change the direction of the hurricane? It is the same thing all over again - atheists asking logical questions and getting responses that are not.

Reminds me of local news. After a tornado that killed many, there was 1 survivor. Some people were full of joy that god saved this person. To which no one asks - why did god kill the others? If you give god credit for the save, you need to dock him for the kills.

Old 08-30-2008, 06:37 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,678,195 times
aquila wrote:
Quote:
I wonder if anyone ever considers that maybe, just maybe, God has a reason for sending hurricanes to certain places. Perhaps there is some sort of cleansing of the land that can only take place via a hurricane? Perhaps only the winds of a hurricane can adequately distribute certain seeds of plants and trees in such a way as to replenish a particular area? Perhaps the atmosphere needs to be stirred up in a certain area so that it affects the climate somewhere else on the globe. You just never know why God may do, or NOT do something that we simply don't understand.
Let me try to explain my point. If I had children and I was going to do some major landscaping in my back yard which involved bulldozers and heavy machinery I would certainly make sure my children were safely inside the house until the work was completed. If God is a loving and caring God who is concerned about the safety of his human children why wouldn't he take the time to make sure that his children were safe before he slapped the Gulf Coast for example with a cat 3 or 4 hurricane which might be beneficial to the environment in some manner but would kill hundreds of innocent people who just happened to be in the path of the storm? We always hear the line about how smart God is and that we just are too stupid to understand why innocent men, women and children need to suffer and die because they're too ignorant to comprehend God's plan. As an atheist I can honestly say that I've never seen evidence that God exists or that he has a plan but if the extermination of hundreds or even thousands of innocent people during an event such as a hurricane is part of that plan I'm thankful that I'm an atheist.

Old 08-30-2008, 06:50 PM
NCN

21,664 posts, read 25,729,418 times
And so my son and I were on the floor in the hallway and water was hitting against the house from front and back, so I knew there was a tornado overhead. My son asked if we were going to be all right. I didn't answer him because if something happened and I died and he didn't, I didn't want the last words his mother spoke to him to be a lie. I just opened my mouth and started praying.

I asked God to keep us safe and then the floor started shaking. I realized that I didn't want my home destroyed. I said, "God if it be thy will, please make this storm go away." As soon as the words were out of my mouth there was instant quiet where the noise had been incredible and the pressure in the room had made my voice sound funny. I went to the sliding glass door and opened it and outside there was a very gentle Spring like rain.

Would it have happened anyway if I had not prayed the prayer? I'll let you decide for yourself. Me, I believe in miracles.

Old 08-30-2008, 07:12 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,706,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
And so my son and I were on the floor in the hallway and water was hitting against the house from front and back, so I knew there was a tornado overhead. My son asked if we were going to be all right. I didn't answer him because if something happened and I died and he didn't, I didn't want the last words his mother spoke to him to be a lie. I just opened my mouth and started praying.

I asked God to keep us safe and then the floor started shaking. I realized that I didn't want my home destroyed. I said, "God if it be thy will, please make this storm go away." As soon as the words were out of my mouth there was instant quiet where the noise had been incredible and the pressure in the room had made my voice sound funny. I went to the sliding glass door and opened it and outside there was a very gentle Spring like rain.

Would it have happened anyway if I had not prayed the prayer? I'll let you decide for yourself. Me, I believe in miracles.
Sincerely, I am glad it worked out for you.
But, why did god have to do all this anyway - was he simply trying to scare you? If he wanted a tornado, for whatever reason, he started one. Was he not aware that it would scare you so much? Since he is all knowing, he should have known that you would pray and he would have to call the tornado back. Lastly,I can tell you that there are probable MANY people who did not survive a tornado and probably most were praying at that time when the wind was sucking them into the sky. So, it really was good luck, not a miracle.

Old 08-30-2008, 07:18 PM

61,254 posts, read 87,724,128 times
so important to watch what we pray. desire is prayer. big difference between praying for rain and a devastating hurricane.
hurricanes have a lot of anger and rage don't they? see a lota this on CDF from folks on the gulf no? lots n lots of angry people.

Old 08-30-2008, 07:38 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,128,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
God has given us radar, forecasting computers, weather stations at sea, planes to fly into the eye of these things, and a bevy of other things that could take all night.
When did God give us these things? Last I checked, scientific exploration gave us that (and many such scientists were deists, pantheists, and atheists). BUT, you're going to reply that God gave them the brains to come up with such technological advances whether they believe in him or not.

How convenient for you. You can wade through life with the same circular logic which prevents you from thinking uniquely for yourself. How wonderful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality