Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2008, 09:24 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,417,778 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone... I've spent the past 45 minutes or so reading through the various threads in this forum... I enjoyed it
I have a question...and I'm looking for any help/advice/input.
I'm 22, and I was raised as a Lutheran. Growing up as a kid, I was often "dragged" to church by my parents.
In the past few years, I've gone through a "rough patch"... basically a roller coaster... I feel its time for me to turn to God, and ask for forgiveness. I guess in a way, I've matured during my rough times... I really value what my parents did for me by having me attend church... It made me grow as a person, as I was growing up.
I would like to join a church in my city... But I really have no idea as to how to do this... or how to pick one. I was raised Lutheran...but do I stay this way? I'm just confused about it all. Anything will help me! Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 09:47 PM

733 posts, read 4,659,726 times
Sent you a direct message. I'm from SD, too. Good luck in your search!

Old 08-22-2008, 11:04 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,040,573 times
I had a rough time in my mid-late teens, wound up occasionally church hopping (and usually skipping) for about 10 years, and ultimately wound up back in a Lutheran church. Why did I wind up going Lutheran? It basically came down to it making sense to me. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about anything. If you have a copy of the Small Catechism, I'd recommend running through that. If not, check here: The Small Catechism by Martin Luther

A big thing for me in choosing churches was to first understand what they teach, then attend their services and finally meet with their clergy. That is how I decided on which church around Fargo to join. That is also what brought me back completely into the Lutheran church.

Old 08-23-2008, 07:11 PM

109 posts, read 231,486 times
Read and understand the bible, the find a church that most closely follows it. That's what i'm trying to do lol. Good luck!

Old 08-23-2008, 09:14 PM

1,807 posts, read 1,897,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1986 View Post
I was raised Lutheran...but do I stay this way?
The short answer is 'No'.

The longer one is 'Not unless you think you need to stay'.

For me, my journey took me away from Christianity -- not because of bad experiences or a hostility towards religion, but because that path wasn't what I needed, anymore.

Christianity had given me all it could, and I needed to see 'faith' from another point of view.

Old 08-23-2008, 09:24 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,811,634 times
This is a comedy on church shopping, I do know what is like to find a church, I prefer small churches as they are more real, and intimate, you get to know everyone and get to pray on a more intimate level, you uphold one another's faults cause everyone sees them, you get to practice forgiveness., repentace...and encourage one anther in your growth and relationship with Jesus/God. And be held accountable if you desire in your walk and talk of the scriptures.

YouTube - Church Shopping

Old 08-23-2008, 09:28 PM

733 posts, read 4,659,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahlila View Post
Read and understand the bible, the find a church that most closely follows it. That's what i'm trying to do lol. Good luck!
Assuming you're a literalist.

Old 08-23-2008, 10:00 PM

1,217 posts, read 4,038,968 times
You're going to have to decide what you believe. What do you believe about God, salvation, Jesus Christ, Scripture. What do you want in a church? Do you want a controlling church that tells you what you can and can't do, i.e. go to movies, dance, wear make-up, vote Democrat/Republican, et al? Do you want a church that focuses only on salvation or do you want a church that tries to follow the example of Christ by helping the poor, the sick, the elderly, the homeless--but does it in a way that gives glory to God? Do you want a church that's politically involved? Do you want a church that focuses on the Lord and honoring Him?

These are the types of things you need to ask yourself. You might have other things that are important to you in serving and worshiping the Lord. Figure out what they are and start the search, Baptist, Methodist, Lutheran, Christian & Missionary Alliance, Mennonite, etc.

Good luck and feel free to send me a direct message if you have more in-depth questions. Remember, if you are sincerely searching for the Lord, He WILL lead you. I know; I've been there.

Old 08-24-2008, 09:24 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,650,316 times
I really agree with the last post by bobmulk. You need to have a deep understanding of what you really believe and what you don't and base your choice of a church of what matches your belief system. Churches have some very different beliefs within the overall Christian religion, some would be considered very conservative and follow a traditional approach while others are very liberal and I would think the membership of these churches would represent a much different group of inidividuals. I would think you'd want to have alot in common with those who chose the same church and not feel conflicted about certain things you might not agree with. It also might be a good idea to just go to the services of various churches and get a feel for the congregation and what is being taught there. If you're really serious about wanting to get involved in a church you need to do a little homework and self assessment to find out where you feel you really belong. Good luck.

Old 08-24-2008, 11:57 AM

1,461 posts, read 3,657,890 times
If you are seeking a home church ask God to lead you to the right place. You will usually know when you feel comfortable. Our is fairly small, teaches from the Bible, has small mid-week groups so you can get to know a few people on a deeper level, youth groups and Sunday School. Our church really reaches out to the community and helps serve the poor. Find a church that meets your needs to grow in your faith and also looks to how they can help others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality