Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2008, 02:45 AM

1,872 posts, read 4,238,761 times

Advertisements

Who can give me some personal experiences about the Wesleyan Church? I've never been to one and all I know about the denomination is what I've read on their website. Anything you'd like to share I'd like to hear. How liberal/conservative is it? I've been invited to attend their services but would like some info first. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2008, 11:38 PM

1 posts, read 2,846 times
Default Just try it!

I know personally that it is a church full of imperfect people who do imperfect things with their lives, and they are all together looking for a constant filling of the spirit of God and forgivness of their sins. You will find a group who if you stick it out long enough will love you for who you are and require little more in return for themselves. God bless you in your search for Him.

Scott

Old 08-18-2010, 11:47 PM

1 posts, read 2,301 times
I see that you posted this a while back. Around the time you posted this, I was working as a pastor at a Wesleyan church. Six months later, the senior pastor resigned, and a new pastor was hired. The new pastor fired me over the phone, and never spoke to me again. In one short phone conversation, I lost my job, my church family, and the home that we had been living in. They later sent a letter out to the congregation stating that I had "resigned". This all happened in my home town, so I lost my reputation as well. All of this happened after my 3 year old daughter had been diagnosed with a rare form of melanoma. It has been over a year, and no one from the wesleyan denomination has made contact with me for any reason, total abandonment. That is my experience with Wesleyans, I hope yours has been better.

Old 08-19-2010, 12:59 AM

13,774 posts, read 26,654,544 times
I think this might be better in the specifically Christian section. Christians might have more experience with a Christian denomination and it will be more on point there.

Old 08-19-2010, 01:35 AM

1,577 posts, read 2,265,577 times
I have a little experience with a Wesleyan church, but I doubt it is normal. I hope it isn't. Of course, remember that there are many churches that embrace Wesleyan concepts, using many different names. Based upon my experience, I would not doubt Taylorfa's response. At the same time, I could see Scott.Cook's response to be legitimate.

Old 08-19-2010, 04:53 AM

50,147 posts, read 20,940,505 times
Like anything else based on purely human invention, it has its ups and downs.

A relative of mine - one of the many census - Christians in the UK - was previously C of E Anglican but, being a divorcee, ran into some problems from a self - satisfied pile of pus in a dog -collar and found the Methodrines a lot more accommodating in that respect and got married in the local Methser church and has stuck with them ever since, singing in the Choir Sundays, though she doesn't actually believe in God or the Bible.

On the other hand, they replaced the previous incumbent with some awful America...I mean transatlantic.. lout who acted like a Gestapo officer and brought the choir to the point of mutiny.

But she still goes to the Church. I can make no sense of it.

P.s. There may be a difference between Weslyan and Methodist. If so, my apologies. I have not mugged up on the various miniscule doctrinal distinctions between the various sects of the Church of England.

Old 08-19-2010, 09:43 AM

1,577 posts, read 2,265,577 times
Oh, yes! I had forgotten that the Methodist church is part of Wesleyans! Of course! How ridiculous of me. However, as I understand it, those who cling to the Methodist name are quite different from those who call themselves Wesleyans. Some of the Wesleyans I am familiar with are basically Pentecostals without the "tongues."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality