Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 07:43 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,900,819 times

Advertisements

I was reading through a thread over in the Atheists and Agnostic club and came across this post. It was in a thread talking about a poster being discovered on the internet by a family member as being an atheist. Here's a portion of one response:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
COOS expressing his religious views on the internet is a refreshing thing. It tells me the youth are not afraid to express who they are and what they accept and don’t accept. It is what will be needed to end the myth based insanity which has resulted in millions of deaths in our history.
To me, this just reeks of a double standard.

My initial response was something like this:

Quote:
Let me get this straight:

Coos expressing his religious views (which echo yours) is refreshing because it it tells you "the youth are not afraid to express who they are and what they accept and don’t accept", right?

But those youth who express their religious views (which don't agree with yours) are embracing a "myth based insanity which has resulted in millions of deaths in our history"?

So religious views pro-atheism are refreshing but religious views anti-atheism are insanity.

Please tell me you see the bias in your words.

It isn't about the youth expressing their religious views, it's about the youth expressing religious views which you happen to agree with.
I wanted to throw this out here in R&P where we are open to discuss these issues.

So, is this a double standard?

Shouldn't we encourage young people consistently?

This appears to say "I'm so refreshed when I see young people agree with me. It tells me they are really just trying to be themselves. Not like those religious folks who are not trying to be like me...uh....I mean themselves."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 07:49 AM

5,160 posts, read 9,181,265 times
Expressing your religious views and trying to convert people are different things. I don't mind somebody talking about their religion, but keep it to yourself.

Old 07-31-2008, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
I don't mind somebody talking about their religion, but keep it to yourself.
You're gonna have to explain that one a little bit more.

Old 07-31-2008, 07:58 AM

3,162 posts, read 11,445,651 times
Alpha, I believe the problem is that most atheists have felt rejected, or threathened with going to hell by religious people, it is something complex though because most christians do it with a good intention, feeling they will be held accountable for not reaching out and sharing the word of Christ with their fellows, some also care about them, because they are their friends, relatives or people they have a relationship with.

The problem is that for people who doesn't share the same beliefs, just makes them more defensive and against religion, it is not because they love to bash christians or criticize them, it's just a difference in perception.

But let's see what other people thinks, maybe we should make a poll asking people if they mind about others sharing with religious beliefs with them and expressing their conviction for them, as long as they don't try to force them or convert them.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:03 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,248,879 times
I talk about my faith all the time, yet am not trying to convert anyone to my personal beliefs.
It would be useless anyway, since my religion is personal and not organised.

I guess atheism works the same way; atheism is a personal religion and not an organised one.
The only thing atheists have in common is that they don't believe in a deity.

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,026,946 times
I don't think it is limited to religious or non-religious views, actually. I think it is healthy that our youth, and we older folks, have the right to speak our views regardless. And everyone has a bias, of course, which is part of being human. However, it is not uncommon to see Christian Youth proclaiming their beliefs in all sorts of settings & gatherings, while it is almost unheard of that groups of Atheist Youth have the same sort of exposure...nor do they want it, for the most part. They would have that right if they chose to do so...but for true Atheists it just doesn't matter that much. Proclaiming a lack of belief is sort of unnecessary because there is no concern among Atheists that they need to spread their words or beliefs or work to "save" other people. Hence...if a person, young or old, is speaking out on his or her atheistic views it is more as a self-confirming thing, I think. Not meant to try and convert or reform...especially on an internet site.

I think that's what Coos was trying to say...albeit it came out as biased, I don't think he meant it that way. At least I didn't take it that way...

5,160 posts, read 9,181,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
You're gonna have to explain that one a little bit more.
You can talk about your religion without trying to convert somebody. Some people act as if they can't.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esselcue View Post
I think that's what Coos was trying to say...albeit it came out as biased, I don't think he meant it that way. At least I didn't take it that way...
I agree for the most part with your post but wanted to clarify this.

Coos didn't say what I quoted in the OP.

It was a response about Coos, but not from Coos.

I wanted to clarify that.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
You can talk about your religion without trying to convert somebody. Some people act as if they can't.
OK.

Gotcha. I understand that.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:11 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,569,023 times
It seems to me that the religious see bias in all others who disagree with them. They fail to see the bias in themselves for doing the same thing in line with their own beliefs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality