Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 08:35 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,624,668 times

Advertisements

I'll tell you what mine is, I live like a pig. I really have a problem with being messy and not cleaning up after myself. I remember once when I was in my twenties a couple of my friends came over to visit. My friend Dorie whose apartment was always spotless and neat as a pin looked around and said "It looks like a pig lives here!". My other friend Gary smiled and said "One Does". Now that I'm much older I have alot more stuff that I've accumulated and it's laying around the house in various stages of disarray while I sit here on a Saturday morning typing a thread about it instead of cleaning it up. When I sold my last house it took 14 months to sell it and of course I had to keep it neat and clean and I did. It was wonderful and once it's all tidied up it's not that difficult to keep it that way. I guess I just need someone to slap the oink out of me because I've slipped right back into my old ways again. I do think that women are generally much neater than men so maybe it's partly a guy thing, I don't know, but I wish I could break this bad habit. So now that I've bared my soul and exposed myself as a slob what bad habits or character flaws do you have?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2008, 09:38 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,460,010 times
Bad character flaws....

I guess one of the things that I have a hard time with is procrastination on certain things. I have a rather amazing work ethic when it comes to big tasks and things of that nature. But, as I type this, I'm sitting here staring at the two air conditioning filters my wife wants me to replace in our house. The thing is... They've been sitting in the same place for close to four days now and it takes me... oh.... about a grand total of thirty seconds per filter to change them out. But, if I have to cut the grass or paint a room or something to that affect I'll not only get "in gear" but I make sure it's done perfectly.

The problem is that all those menial tasks eventually turn into big tasks and then you feel overwhelmed with things to do. Would anyone like to take a gamble on how long it is before I actually change these air filters? It's going on four days now...

Old 07-26-2008, 09:46 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,233,536 times
Exclamation Advance Warning: Large Ego Ahead.

Many people become nervous of me when they find out that I have a large ( gigantic) ego and often accuse me of being conceited.
I guess I’m just not easily intimidated and / or impressed.
Insecure people often don’t know how to deal with me.

I dunno if having a large ego is a character flaw or a bad habit, I just accept it as a fact.

Old 07-26-2008, 10:11 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,658,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
Bad character flaws....

I guess one of the things that I have a hard time with is procrastination on certain things. I have a rather amazing work ethic when it comes to big tasks and things of that nature. But, as I type this, I'm sitting here staring at the two air conditioning filters my wife wants me to replace in our house. The thing is... They've been sitting in the same place for close to four days now and it takes me... oh.... about a grand total of thirty seconds per filter to change them out. But, if I have to cut the grass or paint a room or something to that affect I'll not only get "in gear" but I make sure it's done perfectly.

The problem is that all those menial tasks eventually turn into big tasks and then you feel overwhelmed with things to do. Would anyone like to take a gamble on how long it is before I actually change these air filters? It's going on four days now...
Troop, if you're anything like me it'll probably be about Friday or Saturday next week that you'll get to those filters......I have some of the same problems that you have about procrastination with the little things and that's when my wife decides to come up with a list of things to get done(what is it with women and lists) and then for some reason or another I happen to misplace the list and I end up starting all over again,oh well so much for lists.....

Last edited by ptsum; 07-26-2008 at 10:46 AM..

Old 07-26-2008, 10:36 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,940,223 times
Hehe well so long as we are being honest, I like to brag quite a bit and I'm absentminded(I like to call it abstractminded )

Old 07-26-2008, 10:40 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,261,663 times
My housekeeping could be better. My problem is that it is an unsatisfying chore. No sooner is it done than it gets undone. And sorry, it isn't a male trait. It is just a trait. Some men are slobs others are neatnicks just like women. Probably most fall somewhere in between.

On the other hand, I'm really good at making things and will spend whatever time and effort it takes to do a top notch job. That is also true when I do clean - every corner is scrubbed clean.

Old 07-26-2008, 10:55 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,624,668 times
What's really strange about my own behavior is that when I'm working on the job and being paid I'm a workaholic. I'm completely dependable, punctual and I sit here at my desk and and get as much work done as I can even though my boss is in Denver and I'm working from home. I just have a strong work ethic when I'm working for someone. But then at 3:30 when I log off work for the day my brain is somehow overcome by Mr. CouchPotato and I'm instantly transformed into a human slug. Sometimes when I'm through using a tool like a screwdriver instead of putting it into a tool box I'll just let go of it or sit it on the floor. Then when I need it again I have to remember what I was doing the last time I used it so I can find it again. A few years ago when I was painting my house I had a pair of jeans that I would always use because they were already covered with paint. One day when I needed to paint again I couldn't find them anywhere and had to use another pair. A few months later I found those pants under a pile of old mail and an assortment of junk on my kitchen table. To call myself a pig is really unfair to pigs.

Old 07-26-2008, 03:40 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,623,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
What's really strange about my own behavior is that when I'm working on the job and being paid I'm a workaholic. I'm completely dependable, punctual and I sit here at my desk and and get as much work done as I can even though my boss is in Denver and I'm working from home. I just have a strong work ethic when I'm working for someone. But then at 3:30 when I log off work for the day my brain is somehow overcome by Mr. CouchPotato and I'm instantly transformed into a human slug. Sometimes when I'm through using a tool like a screwdriver instead of putting it into a tool box I'll just let go of it or sit it on the floor. Then when I need it again I have to remember what I was doing the last time I used it so I can find it again. A few years ago when I was painting my house I had a pair of jeans that I would always use because they were already covered with paint. One day when I needed to paint again I couldn't find them anywhere and had to use another pair. A few months later I found those pants under a pile of old mail and an assortment of junk on my kitchen table. To call myself a pig is really unfair to pigs.
LOL unfair to pigs. human slug.

You're op and this post are too funny, Montana.

If you hear a loud bang, it will be Tricky D's head exploding.

Old 07-26-2008, 03:47 PM

145 posts, read 435,444 times
I think mine is being quitting
I think over the years I've started ans quit over a thousand things. I also start off so gung ho too; when I joind LA Fitness I signed up for all the classes brought new running shoes and sports bras and went to the gym less than 10 times in 6 months before i cancelled. I signed up for a cooking course after watching Last Holiday, brought all these rachel ray stuff and then took two classes. I was disappointed because I wanted to flambe and sizzle and BAM! and they were teaching us how to bake cookies My friends know that when I come to them and say "doesnt this look like fun lets sign up" just to walk away. I'm trying to get better

Old 07-26-2008, 04:16 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,356,599 times
As much as I hate to admit it I think I may have a cheese addiction problem. I keep it under cover so the neighbors won’t know, but I think some suspect and when I am invited over they will have lots of cheese out. On second thought it may be them with the cheese problem and they are just using me as an excuse to have more cheese out.

The next flaw I may have is; I may be a Compulsive Work Disorder Person (CWDP). That is the politically correct way to address the “W Word”. I am not sure how many hours you can work a week before you get labeled with the “W word”, but I suspect when you cross 80 on a regular basis you are close.

My wife would say I am bad about putting things where she wants them. Is that a Flaw, or just not meeting her expectations?

One flaw which I do recognize is thinking some knowledge fall into the data base as common knowledge, and when I have to explain it, I struggle not be demeaning to the person who ask the question. It is a horrible personality trait which I am afraid people can see in my expression, and i fight it often. This with having to repeat something just drives me up the wall. I think my wife tries to help with the repeated question as she will ask me things over and over and laugh when I change colors.

My last bad trait is I will get lost in a project or work and lose track of time and anything else which may be going on around me. I have lost track of how many lunches I have forgotten or just did not want to take the time to stop and eat.

This post is way too long to be on my flaws. I think I will stop before I fill a page.

Last edited by cncracer; 07-26-2008 at 04:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality