Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 11:22 PM

201 posts, read 965,834 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all the viewpoints, and the waffles

To me it really just re-inforced goal setting, staying focused on the positive and good karma in general. It's helped me refocus and reprogram my thinking a bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2008, 11:33 PM

3,814 posts, read 6,796,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejl127 View Post
Thanks for all the viewpoints, and the waffles

To me it really just re-inforced goal setting, staying focused on the positive and good karma in general. It's helped me refocus and reprogram my thinking a bit.
Yes our mind is very powerful, I think you are wise to stay focused on the positive, always embracing life with a greatful heart. Even when things don't seem to go "right", when we can find gratitude, we elevate the mind back to creative powers. And that keeps us powerful and aligned with the Creator. Blesssings.

Old 07-19-2008, 11:35 PM

201 posts, read 965,834 times
I work to put as much gratitude in my life as I can. I figure if I fill myself with gratefullness then there can be no room for hatefullness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsavvy View Post
Yes our mind is very powerful, I think you are wise to stay focused on the positive, always embracing life with a greatful heart. Even when things don't seem to go "right", when we can find gratitude, we elevate the mind back to creative powers. And that keeps us powerful and aligned with the Creator. Blesssings.

Old 07-19-2008, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejl127 View Post
I work to put as much gratitude in my life as I can. I figure if I fill myself with gratefullness then there can be no room for hatefullness.
My hope is that more people will start to share your same view. I think it's a wonderful philosophy.

Old 07-20-2008, 12:54 AM

9 posts, read 21,174 times
Happy thoughts alone don't make good things happen.

The idea that if someone in Chechnya thinks happy thoughts maybe they won't be blown up in a crossfire is idiocy. They don't and shouldn't think happy thoughts about their situation for good reason, fear is a survival instinct, it lets us know when we are in danger, be that physical or emotional, and prompts us to take action. If you don't or can't take that action those bad feelings can take over your life. The same principle applies to those of us living on the privileged side of life.

If you wander through life deliriously happy about everything you're delusional.

If you focus on being positive of course good things are going to happen for you because you're approaching challenging situations with confidence in your ability. Providing you are also being realistic the outcome will be favourable, as even if you don't achieve your original ambition you always learn something, which means you are better prepared for the next time you approach the challenge, but optimism should always be paired with realism.

As with the Chechnya analogy sometimes pessimism or being negative is warranted. If that challenge is to instantly become the worlds richest person, be awarded a Nobel peace prize for your work in the supermarket or something similarly unrealistic all the happy thoughts in the world won't help you, and you are just setting yourself up for a big disappointment over, and over again if you don't learn from it the first time.

Most people respond positively to a good person, so if you're a good person with a good attitude people are going to like you and be more inclined to do the right thing by you. But then there's those who don't care about anyone but themselves, and all you are to them is a means of compensating for the inadequacy they have within themselves. When these people make you feel no good, you should, that's your survival instinct saying take action, either avoid them all together or do what you have to do be rid of their negative influence. If you are one of these people it could be that good things don't happen for you because you're self deluded and aren't considering those around you, so they're not going to make your life easy.

The idea that you just think happy will bring about some sort of mystical love force is pretty far fetched...

This crap - the Secret - becomes popular when people delude themselves into thinking that it was the Secret that changed their life, it's the placebo affect, when really there's more rational means of approaching life's challenges. If you're unhappy think about what's making you unhappy and take action. Don't rely on a love wave to save you.

Old 07-20-2008, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango9 View Post

If you focus on being positive of course good things are going to happen for you because you're approaching challenging situations with confidence in your ability.

Most people respond positively to a good person, so if you're a good person with a good attitude people are going to like you and be more inclined to do the right thing by you.

The idea that you just think happy will bring about some sort of mystical love force is pretty far fetched...

If you're unhappy think about what's making you unhappy and take action.
I agree with what you said here. If we "affirm" that we are happy, we indeed we are not we are just lying to ourselves, which will not produce "happy" results. The key is to ask "am I happy?" If you aren't why is it? It's very important to ask ourselves questions. Then take action to move back into alignment. I also believe that if we are in discontent, somewhere in our life we are out of balance and it is a sign for us to realign ourselves.

If we are in fear, that is a sign to pay attention to what is happening, ask why we are afraid and then take action. No one needs to live thier life in a constant state of fear (how miserable)

The secret is a bit misleading, it reminds me a bit of a get rich quick scheme, but I think it gets people thinking and hopefully they will start searching. It got me to start thinking! The law of attraction is still a law, we just need to know how to use it.

Old 07-20-2008, 03:01 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,317,079 times
"The Secret." Nothing but confirmation bias gone wild. There's nothing to "the secret'" never was, and never will be. Nothing beats hard work and discipline.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:53 AM

398 posts, read 820,747 times
Hard work and discipline combined with a positive attitude and a grateful heart could be a great combination, could it not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality