Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 11:40 AM

27,700 posts, read 16,190,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
While reviewing the ancient histories of religions and seeing the same story of one “Sun God” after the other with the exact same story as Christians use in the story of Christ; I have to wonder if he was real or just a character written into a Christian mythology.

Than looking at Roman historical records we find nothing listed on the Christian Jesus. This seems to raise the question of how a person who was leading a cultural revolution would be omitted from the records of a society who was obsessive compulsive about records.

Add to that the forgeries in the bible, and it unacceptable position to be used as an acceptable reference source. It brings me to the question, "Did Jesus actually exists or was he a fictional character made up by the Church."

Looking at the possibility that Jesus never existed, and it was a fraud used to help Rome rule their empire; What effect will that have on views of 2000 years of Jewish persecution for killing the make believe god?

How would western Civilization come to grips with the needless killings?

Could it be as Richard Dawkins said and this story is the “Greatest Hoax” imposed on man?
Thank God Jesus is real otherwise we would feel real guilty about those killings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 01:46 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,361,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Thank God Jesus is real otherwise we would feel real guilty about those killings.
Your humor is very dark. At least I hope it is your humor.
I do hope there is a lot of remorse for all the people killed.

Old 07-05-2008, 10:21 AM

1,477 posts, read 4,408,385 times
Didn't Josephus discuss Jesus in his books of Jewish revolts against the Romans around that time? He was a Roman citizen and not sympathetic to the revolting Jews at that time. His accounts seem pretty reliable.

This of course goes nowhere to actually verifying Jesus as some kind of god which is something completely separate.

Old 07-05-2008, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post
Didn't Josephus discuss Jesus in his books of Jewish revolts against the Romans around that time? He was a Roman citizen and not sympathetic to the revolting Jews at that time. His accounts seem pretty reliable.

This of course goes nowhere to actually verifying Jesus as some kind of god which is something completely separate.
He was mentioned, but it is accepted this was a forgery added by a monk around 1200 AD.

Old 07-05-2008, 05:43 PM

33,573 posts, read 37,188,083 times
“The Son of God”
The belief that Jesus Christ was “the only begotten son of God” is a cornerstone of Christianity. But Jesus himself was said to have made no such claim. It was the Nicene Creed of 325 that affirmed the divinity of Jesus and forbade all other views. Modern-day historians, however, are increasingly challenging the traditional understanding of who and what he was. A growing body of research suggests that significant elements of the story of Jesus may in fact be derived from Egyptian, Greek and other pagan mythologies. And many scholars now reject the notion that Gospels offer accurate accounts of historical events. Written decades after the death of Jesus, they are instead the earliest expression of those beliefs that would eventually harden into Christian orthodoxy.

Myths of Mankind (http://www.onebodymindspirit.com/Myths_Mankind2.htm - broken link)

Old 07-09-2008, 11:39 PM

167 posts, read 492,853 times
I have more of a historical-folklore view.

I believe there was someone, or an amalgamation of someones, who became the figure of Jesus. He was a great social leader who made social change, sure, but did he walk on water and heal people? That's up to you.

Just like King Arthur. There's more and more evidence of a great king who was possibly the origin of the figure of King Arthur. Did he pull a sword out of a stone or get it from a magical being out of a lake? Up to you.

Old 07-10-2008, 06:31 PM

1,461 posts, read 3,655,438 times
We have a friend on the Dead Sea Scroll Committee and he says there are hundreds of non-Biblical texts talking about Jesus. It does not make sense to say that he did not exsist as a person. You don't have to believe that he is the son of God but to say that he didn't exsist is just not logical. Many of these are first person accounts, which hold the most weight in looking at historical references.

Old 07-10-2008, 06:54 PM

I don’t want to sound like I doubt your veracity, but I would want to see the translation, and know who translated it. I am afraid I have little or no trust in anything that comes from the Christian Church any more. I look at a history filled with lies, and I think the Jesus tale it just that a story based on myth and nothing else.
I think I need to add to that fact, it (The Dead Sea Scrolls) was suppose to cover from 520 B.C.E. to -70 C.E. and in the documents I have reviewed deals with the old testament and the small group of Essenes Jews, with nothing on Jesus. It makes me doubt your friends statement even more. .

Last edited by cncracer; 07-10-2008 at 07:19 PM..

Old 07-10-2008, 07:21 PM

1,461 posts, read 3,655,438 times
Well, he is an Ancient History Prof at a major univeristy and speaks nine languages. Probably the smartest man I have ever met.
His name is Ed Yamauchi and he has written about ten books.

Old 07-11-2008, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodpoint View Post
Well, he is an Ancient History Prof at a major univeristy and speaks nine languages. Probably the smartest man I have ever met.
His name is Ed Yamauchi and he has written about ten books.

Show us the translation, and who did it. Second hand chat and backyard hopes just holds no value on this issue.
I looked and review last night for a few hours, and not once did see anybody mention Jesus in discussions on the Dead Sea Scrolls. I don’t hold that as a fact but I sure think the published documents do hold better value than hearsay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality